PDA

View Full Version : How School Is...

woaface
04-30-2004, 05:33 AM
I thought I'd post something about school instead of racing/beating the crap out of my car this time.

This comming year I'm going to be enrolled at Riverside High School (Home of the Warriors). It's the school I am zoned for, but it's the best public highschool in the county, and probably state when SAT scores are concerned (1104 average in 2002). I've got to go through a few tests...vision (easy), speech (easy) hearing (uh...say that again?) and to see if I can get any extra help because of ADD/ADHD I'll get to see a shrink...haha, no just a physcologist. I don't know why though, I don't have add or.....

So at 9 this morning I'll be seeing the speech lady (should I go in and ask for the "speech lady"?) Mrs. Savakin I think her name is.

Then I'll be taking, over the course of the summer, english and math proficiency tests to see where I stand. MOST likely because there are a few classes my mother hasn't been able to teach me (adding up to a grand total of 2 or 3 classes) I'll be "held back" and in sophomore math classes and junior/senior everything else. Oh BOY! I get to hang with the KIDS! The guys are probably taller than me anyways.

But it's ok, I don't mind too much, I'll graduate in 2 years if I bust my ass (but at Riverside, you work like that anyways) As long as I know the work and feel comfortable graduating I don't really mind.

Hey, at least there's a really good chance I'll have a Marauder my graduating year!!!

Ok...well I better run, glad I can scratch this from my to do list.

-James

MAD-3R
04-30-2004, 05:56 AM
James,

Something to remember
Mathamatics is probebly the single most important skill you can develope. I remember when I was in high school, saying "When the hell will I have to know this in real life?" Guess what... I have used much of it, and I'm a database monkey. You can read, you can write, with todays computers, you don't have to be able to spell. :) But Math is still done by hand. And for God's sake, Just be sure you can do the work on paper before breaking out the calculator... thats just programming.

Also, if it is offered, take a class in Logic. It will open a huge door for you and allow you to go very far indeed.

dwasson
04-30-2004, 06:05 AM
...and if you don't understand economics, take the class. Know why things happen. If you know history and economics you limit the ways politicians can lie to you.

MAD-3R
04-30-2004, 06:19 AM
Politicians lie?!?!?

I'm shocked and dismayed you would say such a thing!! you must be one of those radicals I keep hearing about!!!

I think the MOST important thing is don't take what the teacher tells you for gosple. Question them, research on your own, and FIND YOUR OWN ANSWERS!!

But most importantly, be sure to have a date for Prom.

duhtroll
04-30-2004, 06:19 AM
I disagree with the above. I see the importance of specific skills, but even more important than skills in any subject field is your ability to work with other people.

That is what you can get out of school that is not in the textbook.

Thanks,
-A

The purpose of school is to learn how to think. Then you can decide what to think.

MAD-3R
04-30-2004, 06:29 AM
I disagree with the above. I see the importance of specific skills, but even more important than skills in any subject field is your ability to work with other people.

That is what you can get out of school that is not in the textbook.

Thanks,
-A

The purpose of school is to learn how to think. Then you can decide what to think.

To a point. High School age kids, are in general, Vicious Animals. They travel in packs and attack those they feel are weaker then they are. These are social attacks (peer presure), not normaly physical, but they can turn physical very quickly.

Home schooling as you have had has given you a solid foundation of learning. Now it's time to develope those social skills you will need. Good luck, and be your own man.

dwasson
04-30-2004, 06:52 AM

Along with the sciences (although the -ologies, the soft sciences are suspect), economics class and history class teach you how to think. The best advice I can give a high school student is to remember that it is over soon. Many teen-agers get wrapped around the axle about things that they should just try to outlive.

And as was said earlier, go to the prom and have fun.

Slowpoke
04-30-2004, 06:53 AM
The most important skill I learned in my 3 years (I graduated early) of high school was the process of problem-solving. I used it later in College and graduate school. If you can't sift through all available information to arrive at the crux of an issue you will be lost like a rowboat in the middle of the ocean.

Ross
04-30-2004, 07:22 AM
Some good advice has already been given.

1. Math--learn it. Learn all you can, as well as you can. It will open many doors and allow you to solve many problems which you cannot even anticipate right now. Take it from one who is "math challenged."

2. Phys Ed-- you don't have to be a jock, but do SOMETHING physical. "Mens sana in corpore sano." A sound mind in a sound body. You have plenty of time to get old and lazy and overweight like me...I mean like a lot of guys around here.

3. People skills-- Watch and learn. See who is honest, who is not. Watch others and how they interact with people. Learn from the good and bad points of others. You will make mistakes, and trust some people who you should not trust. You will be hurt some, but that goes with the territory. When you misjudge someone, ask how it happened and how you were fooled, and try to learn from it. Become watchful and careful, but not bitter and distrusting of everyone.

4. Friends-- Be a friend and make friends. My closest friends that I have today are guys I was close to in high school in the 1960's, and my other closest friends are the guys I knew in college in the early 1970's. Old, trusted friends are priceless.

5. Girls-- Go out with a number of girls and have a good time. Get to know them and try to learn what makes them tick. OK, maybe this is impossible, but still try to learn about females early. Don't get too involved with anyone right now. There's plenty of time to be serious later. Have a good time. Learn to respect women and to treat them properly.

That's enough "fatherly" advice for one morning. I need a beer.

woaface
04-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Some good advice has already been given.

1. Math--learn it. Learn all you can, as well as you can. It will open many doors and allow you to solve many problems which you cannot even anticipate right now. Take it from one who is "math challenged."

2. Phys Ed-- you don't have to be a jock, but do SOMETHING physical. "Mens sana in corpore sano." A sound mind in a sound body. You have plenty of time to get old and lazy and overweight like me...I mean like a lot of guys around here.

3. People skills-- Watch and learn. See who is honest, who is not. Watch others and how they interact with people. Learn from the good and bad points of others. You will make mistakes, and trust some people who you should not trust. You will be hurt some, but that goes with the territory. When you misjudge someone, ask how it happened and how you were fooled, and try to learn from it. Become watchful and careful, but not bitter and distrusting of everyone.

4. Friends-- Be a friend and make friends. My closest friends that I have today are guys I was close to in high school in the 1960's, and my other closest friends are the guys I knew in college in the early 1970's. Old, trusted friends are priceless.

5. s-- Go out with a number of s and have a good time. Get to know them and try to learn what makes them tick. OK, maybe this is impossible, but still try to learn about females early. Don't get too involved with anyone right now. There's plenty of time to be serious later. Have a good time. Learn to respect women and to treat them properly.

That's enough "fatherly" advice for one morning. I need a beer.1.) I'm working on it, and not doing a bad job either!
2.)Easy enough, I'm good at that type of thing.
3.)No problem
4.)Cake
5.)Definitely no problem:up:

Yeah, I've got the social thing down. I'll be taking a few BS classes to fill in spaces next year, but I don't know if a Logistics class is offered, but I'll be in Speech and Debate...close enough.

I'm almost done with the economics thing...but I'm sure having fun in school even though it's hard...it'll be over soon enough.

2003 MIB
04-30-2004, 10:35 AM
I'll be in Speech and Debate...close enough.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!- :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

As a former Double Ruby level National Forensic League (NFL) member, 1983 UIL District 7A Debate Champion, 1983 NFL CCX Texas semifinalist, the only 1983 undefeated debate team in Louisianna and undefeated Impromptu speaker (4 years) and can attest that this is a good path, James. You'll learn to think on your feet and be able to speak effectively. I use these skills in the workplace on a daily basis. Don't argue with a spouse though- even if it's a tie, you lose. :cool4:

MAD-3R
04-30-2004, 10:38 AM
YEAH!!!!!!!!!- :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

As a former Double Ruby level National Forensic League (NFL) member, 1983 UIL District 7A Debate Champion, 1983 NFL CCX Texas semifinalist, the only 1983 undefeated debate team in Louisianna and undefeated Impromptu speaker (4 years) and can attest that this is a good path, James. You'll learn to think on your feet and be able to speak effectively. I use these skills in the workplace on a daily basis. Don't argue with a spouse though- even if it's a tie, you lose. :cool4:

As soon as you realise your right, apologize immidiatly!!

woaface
04-30-2004, 10:53 AM
I practice this already with the ladies and my mother...I always get the short end of the stick...:lol:

woaface
06-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Well, I am offically registered for classes next year at Riverside High School (http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/rsidehs/index.htm).
I will be taking:

Algebra 2
Geometry
Art (Just a technical art of some sort)
Chemistry
English
Basic Computer Applications

I don't know exactly what grade level all of those classes are on, or which grade. However because of the math I'll be classified as a sophomore, and if I do well (which I will) I'll be a senior next year! I am so excited about all of this retarded work I'll have to do.

Next year I'll take statistics and other cool classes since I'll have finished Geometry and Algebra. :D

SouLRioT
06-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Well, I am offically registered for classes next year at Riverside High School (http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/rsidehs/index.htm).
I will be taking:

Algebra 2
Geometry
Art (Just a technical art of some sort)
Chemistry
English
Basic Computer Applications

I don't know exactly what grade level all of those classes are on, or which grade. However because of the math I'll be classified as a sophomore, and if I do well (which I will) I'll be a senior next year! I am so excited about all of this retarded work I'll have to do.

Next year I'll take statistics and other cool classes since I'll have finished Geometry and Algebra. :D

Way back when (class of 98), Algebra 2 was a junior/senior class, so i'm surprised that that is holding you back a grade level. Any way good luck, and when you do get to stats you love it, it was the best math course I've taken.

Marc
06-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Hang in there and bust your tail. Good grades are the gateway to your future. I agree that Math may be the most important, but each and every class builds on top of another. For example, you may be great at algebra, in which you will develop problem solving abilities, but without english, you may not be able to communicate your conclusions very well.

Play sports if you can, but don't take any crap from anyone if you don't. Participate things that you are interested in, not just things that you think you should do.

Bluerauder
06-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Way back when (class of 98), Algebra 2 was a junior/senior class, so i'm surprised that that is holding you back a grade level. Any way good luck, and when you do get to stats you love it, it was the best math course I've taken.
Further way back when (Class of '68) --- Algebra I/II was a freshman course split over the first 2 semesters, Geometry and Chemistry were sophmore classes. Of course, I was not offered Computer classes 'cause they were still working on Eniac in the basement of the science building.

Have fun in school, learn to enjoy learning and reading, and the mastering the basics of Reading, Writing, and 'Rithmatic are as important as ever. The "real world" will come soon enough -- the effort and preparation you make now will definitely aid you in years to come. Get involved in school activities, clubs, or sports. As said above --- have fun and go to the prom.

woaface
06-15-2004, 02:02 PM
Way back when (class of 98), Algebra 2 was a junior/senior class, so i'm surprised that that is holding you back a grade level. Any way good luck, and when you do get to stats you love it, it was the best math course I've taken.A bill was pushed here in the state and passed that requiered 4 maths as opposed to the normal 3 and sometimes 2. Of course, we have a huge drop-out rate in SC, so yeah...that was REAL smart.

Reading/English is my strong point. I may very well be in Honors, a senior class.

jgc61sr2002
06-15-2004, 02:14 PM
James - Good luck . Enjoy the summer, after graduation you will probably be off to college. :rock:

BruteForce
06-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Math has always been my weakest subject. This is just a tip for further down the road... when I went back to school as an adult (GED, community college, BA, and finally a masters at U of Wash), I ended up pushing through the advanced math barrier (bailed on the first try to avoid a failing grade) by taking "business math" courses at the community college that were transferable as college credit. Something about having problems presented in terms of money/profit helped make the often impenetrable theories easier to figure out. I was able to get all my required courses (ended up in 2nd year level calculus before I hit my limit - i.e., a barely passing grade) for university done before even getting in. This all from someone who failed Algebra twice in high school.

martyo
06-15-2004, 03:37 PM
There is no doubt that James will grow up to be a cunning linguist.

woaface
06-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Why thanks Marty! I'm not quite the wordsmith Churchill was...but I could incorporate that into Public Relations or such.

Rob1559
06-15-2004, 05:44 PM
An 1104 SAT average? Slackers!

woaface
06-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Dude...it's South Carolina:lol: We're not worst in the nation for nuthin'

I don't know too much about that though, all of my friends are getting 1200-1500?:confused:

Marc
06-16-2004, 06:34 AM
Dude...it's South Carolina:lol: We're not worst in the nation for nuthin'

I don't know too much about that though, all of my friends are getting 1200-1500?:confused:

Keep hanging out with those friends. I'm not sure what it is today, but I think the national average was below 1,000 when I was in school. But don't get consumed with an SAT score. I have worked with people that have all of the degrees behind them that constantly cite their resume, (1400 SAT, Darthmouth undergrad, Wharton MBA, etc.) but they can't translate all of that into actual work performance. Remember, its not where you went to school but what you do with it.

dwasson
06-16-2004, 06:43 AM
Keep hanging out with those friends. I'm not sure what it is today, but I think the national average was below 1,000 when I was in school. But don't get consumed with an SAT score. I have worked with people that have all of the degrees behind them that constantly cite their resume, (1400 SAT, Darthmouth undergrad, Wharton MBA, etc.) but they can't translate all of that into actual work performance. Remember, its not where you went to school but what you do with it.

Although it is best if your SAT is higher than your cholesterol. :lol:

MM03MOK
06-16-2004, 06:46 AM
I'm not even going to point out what Marty said!!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_4.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_5.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001) :puke:

Ross
06-16-2004, 07:12 AM
I'm not even going to point out what Marty said!!!

Yeah, this is a "family" forum!

dwasson
06-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Yeah, this is a "family" forum!

Have any of us really met Marty's family?

woaface
06-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Yup, I heard that once. You can have all the degree's you want and that might get you into a nice job, but once you're there for a while, it's who does that job best that keeps it....not the degree.

martyo
06-16-2004, 08:11 AM

Do you really think you are worthy?

martyo
06-16-2004, 08:12 AM
I'm not even going to point out what Marty said!!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_4.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_5.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001) :puke:

What?? Are you trying to take the fun out of my day???

teamrope
06-16-2004, 08:23 AM
I've herd Todd has..;)

Haggis
06-16-2004, 08:54 AM
What?? Are you trying to take the fun out of my day???

I want to know. What did you say Marty?? ;)

THE_INTERCEPTOR
06-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Old, trusted friends are priceless.

That is SO true.

jgc61sr2002
06-16-2004, 06:23 PM
I want to know. What did you say Marty?? ;)

Gordan - Check out the previous posts on this thread. :D