PDA

View Full Version : RIP Oldsmobile

jerrym3
04-30-2004, 11:18 AM
The last Olds was made yesterday. The end of one of the earlier performance cars. Olds was pushing OHV V-8s with 4 sp automatics while Ford/Merc were pushing flatheads with three sp Ford/Merc-O-Matics, DeSoto was into big flathead 6 cylinders, Chevy was selling two sp Powerglides with six cylinders, and Pontiac was pushing straight eights. The Olds 4 speed Hydramatics were no slouches in performance.

Olds made some beautiful cars. Ex:the 54/55 Super 88 and 98; the 57 Super 88 J-2 convertible; the 1962 Starfire; the 66-67 442's (4 barrel, 4 on the floor, dual exhaust); the Hurst Olds series; the "W" cars; even the Olds VistaCruiser stationwagon with the glass panels in the roof. (Of course, every manufacturer maks a "dog" every now and then, ex: the 58 "chrome" Olds.)

I only owned two, a 3 sp on the column 1954 88 (very rare) and a 1957 98 Convertible (non J-2). My dad had a very fast 55 88 2 dr hardtop.

Olds joins the ranks of the DeSoto, Plymouth, Packard, Hudson, Studebaker, and all the other makes that made our automobile industry the envy of the world at one time.

RIP

2003 MIB
04-30-2004, 11:22 AM
1977 442- It was a great car..120,000 miles when I sold it. Nothing but fluid changes. RIP

Long Live #3
04-30-2004, 11:26 AM
I can't believe it. I love Olds. I just can't believe that they're going out of business. Do you think that if they brought back the Cutlass that Olds might gain more popularity, therefore gain money?

stevengerard
04-30-2004, 12:24 PM
I can't believe it. I love Olds. I just can't believe that they're going out of business. Do you think that if they brought back the Cutlass that Olds might gain more popularity, therefore gain money?

Actually just a few years back they had some of the best cars GM was making – Aurora, Alero etc. But by then they were already planning for its demise, not that I would have preferred it but I would have thought Buick would have been the one – their average buyer was creeping up in age every year. Oldsmobile was always a head of the game; I’ve heard they were actually viewed as the R&D arm for what would be put on the other GMs. Maybe my 442 will go up in value another $10.00 or so. I rather have them around still, the first massed produced car in the world.

the_pack_rat
04-30-2004, 12:33 PM
As an older Oldsmobile fan, I find this quite sad, but I can't say I'm that upset anymore.

Olds stopped building the very cars that gave them a great reputation. They tried to NOT be your father's Oldsmobile & UN-fortunately they succeeded.

I was 6 yrs old when I had my first taste of an Oldsmobile ... & I've been hooked ever since.

To think just 20-25 yrs ago, the Olds Cutlass was a number one seller, & the company has since been run into the ground.

I can remember wanting to cry in 1986 when I saw the new Toro & Delta 88 ... what a joke. The RWD Cutlass only lasted till 1988 after that. The only other traditional V8 Olds was the Custom Cruiser until 1990. Basically, Olds has done NOTHING for me as a whole, since 1988.

As far as I'm concerned that was the turning point ... where it all went down hill.

Without the popularity of the Sable, & if FoMoCo had stopped making the Grand Marquis back in the mid-upper 80's ... I'd be willing to bet there would be NO Mercury today ... the same thing would have happened to them, that happened to Olds.

GM lost a lot of customers back in the mid to upper 80's doing what they did ... I worked at a Linc Merc dealer whose used car line looked more like that of a GM auction parking lot. It was incredible the amount of people that switched over that didn't care for the Olds/GM re-designs.

Oh well ...

Better go hug my 2 REAL Oldsmobiles ...

Not that joke of a line-up the've been trying to peddle these past few years ... that ultimately cost Olds their life.

:alone:

Ever wonder if some of the Olds people got jobs at Mercury, & are responsible for the lack of advertising & promotion concerning the Marauder ?.

Eric

jerrym3
04-30-2004, 12:56 PM
In 1963, in between steady jobs, I had a part time job driving used cars from Union City, NJ to Auburn, NY. (Used car dealer was moving his lot to NY and was too cheap to rent a car carrier.)

So, for $15 per trip, I would take one of their cars home at night, using it, of course, to go cruising that evening, wake up 5 AM and drive to NY and take the bus back into Manhatten to catch another bus into NJ. And, even though it was winter and I would hit some snow every now and then, I couldn't slow down otherwise I'd miss the bus coming back. But, I was about 19 and, at that age, you think that you will live forever.

The nicest car I ever drove up to NY was a maroon/white top 1962 full size Olds 2 dr hardtop Super 88 with a three speed on the column. Quick as a rabbit, but it was practically impossible to speedshift. I can still remember the whooosh of that motor whenever I nailed it.

I had a close friend (whom I haven't seen for a long time) who was an Olds fanatic. Don't know if he still has it, but he had bought a gold/white Hurst Olds, 73, I think, that he intended to garage and keep forever. Last time I saw him in the early 80's, the car had less than 10,000 miles on it.

This fellow also had a number of 66-67 442's and one of those bright yellow Rallye 350 Oldsmobiles. He actually went full time into the business of buying/selling used Olds parts.

Before the Chevys and Pontiacs became performance cars, Olds was the car to beat.

merc406
04-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Let em rest, it was their time....... :sleepy:

CRUZTAKER
04-30-2004, 02:28 PM
I have many fond memories of riding in the rear jump seat of grandpa's Vista Cruiser.:rolleyes:

He probably put 200k on it before he moved on to something smaller.

rumble
04-30-2004, 03:21 PM
The last Olds was made yesterday. The end of one of the earlier performance cars. Olds was pushing OHV V-8s with 4 sp automatics while Ford/Merc were pushing flatheads with three sp Ford/Merc-O-Matics, DeSoto was into big flathead 6 cylinders, Chevy was selling two sp Powerglides with six cylinders, and Pontiac was pushing straight eights. The Olds 4 speed Hydramatics were no slouches in performance.

Olds made some beautiful cars. Ex:the 54/55 Super 88 and 98; the 57 Super 88 J-2 convertible; the 1962 Starfire; the 66-67 442's (4 barrel, 4 on the floor, dual exhaust); the Hurst Olds series; the "W" cars; even the Olds VistaCruiser stationwagon with the glass panels in the roof. (Of course, every manufacturer maks a "dog" every now and then, ex: the 58 "chrome" Olds.)

I only owned two, a 3 sp on the column 1954 88 (very rare) and a 1957 98 Convertible (non J-2). My dad had a very fast 55 88 2 dr hardtop.

Olds joins the ranks of the DeSoto, Plymouth, Packard, Hudson, Studebaker, and all the other makes that made our automobile industry the envy of the world at one time.

RIP
Yep, I can dig it. I had a '50 Rocket 88 with a three speed manual then a 53 Super 88 with a three speed manual and then a 55 Super 88 with a hydramatic that I dropped in a '57 J2 with three duces. Life was good. (still is)

67435animal
04-30-2004, 03:33 PM

RIP

Yes, I miss Olds!

RCSignals
04-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Olds in the 30's and 40's built some real ugly cars. The front end and grilles mostly. But some of them had "Flash Gordon" looking dashes, and and bullet taillights mounted high on the quarter sail panel.

The way things are going at GM, I wouldn't be surprised if Buick is next. Then maybe GMC truck.

They seem to be focused on Cadillac, Chevrolet, and now Pontiac.
Buick they put very little effort into anymore.

Instead of Oldsmobile they should have canned Saturn.

MapleLeafMerc
04-30-2004, 10:01 PM
The first new car I owned was a 1980 Cutlass Supreme, dark navy, white landau roof, buckets and a beautiful 350. Thanks, Ransom!

junehhan
04-30-2004, 10:35 PM
Oldsmobile's legacy up till now has been lived in the all aluminum OHV pushrod V8 that's currently used in the Land Rover Discovery, which is a wonderful motor in the 4.6 litre displacement. However, that too will be ending as for the next MY, Ford has decided to start using Ford and Jaguar engines in the next generation Discovery. I just hope Mercury never goes that route that others like Olds have.............

RCSignals
04-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Oldsmobile's legacy up till now has been lived in the all aluminum OHV pushrod V8 that's currently used in the Land Rover Discovery, which is a wonderful motor in the 4.6 litre displacement. However, that too will be ending as for the next MY, Ford has decided to start using Ford and Jaguar engines in the next generation Discovery. I just hope Mercury never goes that route that others like Olds have.............
I thought that was a buick engine, and LR stopped using it when BMW bought Land Rover?

junehhan
04-30-2004, 11:02 PM
I thought that was a buick engine, and LR stopped using it when BMW bought Land Rover?

Actually, I think you are right as i'm a bit fuzzy tonight. However, Land Rover has been using that engine for ages. The current 04 Discoveries are still using it. This appears to be the last year the engine is being used as the 05 redesigned Disco's will be using the Ford 4.0 litre V6, and Jaguar V8. When the brand new Range Rover came out in 03, they used the BMW 4.4 litre V8

UAW 588
05-01-2004, 07:30 AM
The last Olds was made yesterday. The end of one of the earlier performance cars. Olds joins the ranks of the DeSoto, Plymouth, Packard, Hudson, Studebaker, and all the other makes that made our automobile industry the envy of the world at one time.

RIP
If America doesn't wake up this can happen to more names. :cry: So the next time anybody thinks about looking at that cute little Rice Burner that the media BRAIN WASHES into thinking it's so superior :fire: ; please give a closer look at an AMERICAN made vehicle. It not only supports AMERICAN jobs, it also supports an AMERICAN economy. :help:

merc406
05-01-2004, 07:36 AM
If America doesn't wake up this can happen to more names. :cry: So the next time anybody thinks about looking at that cute little Rice Burner that the media BRAIN WASHES into thinking it's so superior :fire: ; please give a closer look at an AMERICAN made vehicle. It not only supports AMERICAN jobs, it also supports an AMERICAN economy. :help:

I second that emotion!!!! :beer: :rasta:

67435animal
05-01-2004, 08:42 AM

I cannot stand Asian vehicles. The only foreign made one I like is Jaguar.

No rice in my garage, not ever, not now, never.

Bob

UAW 588
05-01-2004, 10:36 AM
The only foreign made one I like is Jaguar.

Bob
That's great. :D Another one of Ford's great nameplates that they own. The Lincoln LS is built off a Jaguar platform. Just like the new Vehicles we will be producing right here in Chicago, it will be built off a Volvo platform. Maybe you have seen or heard about them; they are the Ford 500, Ford Freestyle, and the Mercury Montego. :burnout:

67435animal
05-01-2004, 10:55 AM
That's great. :D Another one of Ford's great nameplates that they own. The Lincoln LS is built off a Jaguar platform. Just like the new Vehicles we will be producing right here in Chicago, it will be built off a Volvo platform. Maybe you have seen or heard about them; they are the Ford 500, Ford Freestyle, and the Mercury Montego. :burnout:

I saw all three at the Auto Show here last March. Very, very nice.

Bob

MikesMerc
05-01-2004, 02:24 PM
I have many fond memories of riding in the rear jump seat of grandpa's Vista Cruiser.:rolleyes:

I loved my parent's Vista Cruiser! I was about 8 yrs old then. The glass roof was cool. And that rear jump seat....lol..I forgot all about that:) And we can't forget the artificial wood grain panels :rock:

I watched many a drive in movie from the rear of that Vista Cruiser parked back wards with the tail gate down. Man...those were great times *sigh* :)

rookie1
05-01-2004, 03:50 PM

Not to pick nits here but the baby Jaguar is built off the LS platform not vice-versa.

jgc61sr2002
05-01-2004, 04:05 PM
I have inherited my fathers 1973 Olds Toronado. :up: I have had it in storage for several years and use it ocasionally. It has 27 K on the odometer. They sure don't make cars like they use to, :( with the exception of the Panther platform. :D

junehhan
05-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Not to pick nits here but the baby Jaguar is built off the LS platform not vice-versa.

From my understanding, the "baby Jag" X-type is built off of the Ford Mondeo platform. It is the S-type however that is built off of the Lincoln LS platform. Besides Aston Martin, I believe that Jaguar makes the most beautiful and graceful cars in the world. I'd honestly like to see them make another sports car, or bring back the E-type...........

As far as foreign brands go, I welcome them into the market place. While that may not be what some people think, competition is going to ensure that my Favorite American car company(Ford) will continue to build excellent class leading vehicles, and not slack off. Competition will insure that I will always get a great product for my money. If the new F150 is a sign of what's to come from Ford, then I believe that Ford will start taking their market share back by beating the imports at their own game. The new F150 I believe is probably one of Ford's greatest accomplishments ever.

merc406
05-01-2004, 05:11 PM
really wanted to buy an OLDmobile, come on they haven't made anything I would have bought in years, like 25-30 years ago. :eek:

A new XKE, I like that idea, infact saw a prototype of one last week on the D/board. :beer: Ok so it was my D/board, we can dream can't we? :up:

junehhan
05-01-2004, 05:19 PM
really wanted to buy an OLDmobile, come on they haven't made anything I would have bought in years, like 25-30 years ago. :eek:

A new XKE, I like that idea, infact saw a prototype of one last week on the D/board. :beer: Ok so it was my D/board, we can dream can't we? :up:

An XKE would be amazing, although I havn't seen any photo's of the prototype. I just want to see a new serious sports car from Jaguar with the old Roadster attitude since the current Jag's like the XK8 appear to have become more or less a cruiser.

BlackHole
05-01-2004, 06:18 PM
I tried to make the 442 concept Alero Olds came out with in 2000. Problem no one would do the body parts needed to complete the outside.

Handeling was superb with the Yokos and suspension mods could keep pace with Miatas on Auto cross corses and they had 600 LBS less than me.
Was going to supercharge and a few other things and try for 300 FWHP. But everyone I contacted gave me the cold shoulder. So I threw in the towel and started to hunt something that had an easier mod potential. Was a tie between RX8 and MM with the MM winning due to the incentives.

HTTP://www.n-body.net/registry/1841/

jerrym3
05-03-2004, 05:56 AM
Maybe it's a "chicken and egg" syndrome, but the LS owner probably calls it a Jag platform, while the Jag S owner would never say that he/she is driving a Lincoln based car.

I'm guilty of telling people that my 2003 TBird is based on the Jag S platform and uses a slightly smaller Jag motor.

I just wish that Ford had not detuned the Jag engine for the TBird (in reality, how many sales would Ford have lost to Jaguar if the motors were identical? Probably zero to none). Also, Ford could have put a few more bucks into the dash rather than simply installing the Lincoln LS dash.

But, I guess that Ford's extra developement bucks back then were going into that great selling Lincoln Blackwood.

junehhan
05-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Maybe it's a "chicken and egg" syndrome, but the LS owner probably calls it a Jag platform, while the Jag S owner would never say that he/she is driving a Lincoln based car.

I'm guilty of telling people that my 2003 TBird is based on the Jag S platform and uses a slightly smaller Jag motor.

I just wish that Ford had not detuned the Jag engine for the TBird (in reality, how many sales would Ford have lost to Jaguar if the motors were identical? Probably zero to none). Also, Ford could have put a few more bucks into the dash rather than simply installing the Lincoln LS dash.

But, I guess that Ford's extra developement bucks back then were going into that great selling Lincoln Blackwood.

That Lincoln Blackwood was an awesome concept, and i'm sad that it didn't sell. However, that truck for what it cost just wasn't very competitive. It didn't even come with AWD or 4WD which should have been standard for that price. It was a pretty looking truck though..............

RCSignals
05-04-2004, 12:33 AM
That Lincoln Blackwood was an awesome concept, and i'm sad that it didn't sell. However, that truck for what it cost just wasn't very competitive. It didn't even come with AWD or 4WD which should have been standard for that price. It was a pretty looking truck though..............
The Blackwood was sort of useless as a "pickup" truck
It was however a good, well constructed vehicle, and had 50/50 weight distribution. It wasn't just a rebadged F150
The Blackwood was high priced, but look at the Cadillac offerings now. Really just Cadified Chevrolets.

Didn't Ford practically cancel them before they even shipped? Just shipped what was already made and completed others with remaining parts?
There are a couple around town I see once in a while. Actually a good looking vehicle.

rookie1
05-04-2004, 07:05 AM
really wanted to buy an OLDmobile, come on they haven't made anything I would have bought in years, like 25-30 years ago.
:

I've owned 2 Auroras, wife is currently driving the second one. Northstar motor and what is IMHO the best interior on a domestically produced vehicle.

merc406
05-04-2004, 07:35 AM
I've owned 2 Auroras, wife is currently driving the second one. Northstar motor and what is IMHO the best interior on a domestically produced vehicle.

Wow, and your not even an Old man yet! :lol: Good for you. :rock:

jerrym3
05-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Forgot to mention Nash in the"American cars dead" list.

Any of you (us) oldtimers remember that the Nash advertised front seats that could be lowered to form a full bed? I think that I also remember that window screens were available as a factory option.

I remember that Studebaker had a hill holder for standard shift cars as early as 1947. Put the clutch in, shift to first, and you did not need to have a foot on the brake as long as the clutch was in.

Packard had a reversible front seat interior. First big motor into an intermediate body (ala GTO) had to be the 57 Golden Hawk Studebaker with the Packard motor.

There were also Kaisers and Frazers, which eventually became Kaiser-Frazer. (Kaiser sold a four door sedan that had a liftback hatch which allowed you to carry long objects on (stretching the memory here) a wood floor.)

Racerx88
05-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Used to be a Chevy was a Chevy, a Pontiac was a Pontiac, an Olds was an Olds, a Buick was a Buick, and a Cadillac was Cadillac. By that I mean the Chevrolet was the lower end of the GM lineup, while Cadillac was the top. Guys would start out with the low priced Chevrolet, and over the years the idea was to trade up to a Cadillac. Chevy was the low priced leader. Pontiac was the sportier model. Oldsmobile added a little bit of luxury. Buick added more power and torque. Cadillac had it all.

Now it's hard to tell the difference between any of them. No wonder GM can't sell anything and has to can the Olds division. If they'd have just gone back to making Chevrolets be Chevrolets, etc. etc.; they'd be doing MUCH better.
IMHO. :beatnik: