PDA

View Full Version : To tint or not to tint, that is my question

CoreyM75
04-23-2015, 08:36 PM
My first Marauder had tinted windows when I bought it. I never had it checked, but it was very dark tint. I liked it at the time, but now I'm torn on if I should tint my current Marauders windows. I checked for other DTR's with tint, and some look very nice with tint, others not so much. I think it's the one color that doesn't always look good tinted. Also here in Michigan it is illegal to have the front windows tinted, which according to the tint shops here will no longer tint unless I have a doctors note that states that I need the front windows tinted, which I have zero medical reason for. So I would have just the rear windows tinted. That's my dilemma and why I'm asking here.
This was my first Marauder, the tint looked great on it.
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt153/2000-cvpi/2003%20Marauder/IMG_2206.jpg (http://s607.photobucket.com/user/2000-cvpi/media/2003%20Marauder/IMG_2206.jpg.html)
My current Marauder.
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt153/2000-cvpi/2003%20Marauder/20150316_144908.jpg (http://s607.photobucket.com/user/2000-cvpi/media/2003%20Marauder/20150316_144908.jpg.html)

chief455
04-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Tint, maybe a bit less this time

Ms. Denmark
04-24-2015, 02:47 AM
Well first you gotta realize your DTR will never look as good as your Silver Birch. :P Once you get over that disappointment.... Tint! (All 4 windows and back.) Prolly at least 35 % windows and 20% back. I would also do the windshield.

adtaylor
04-24-2015, 02:56 AM
The only color Marauder that really looks good with tint is black.

Mebot
04-24-2015, 03:09 AM
Tint looks great on all colors. Travel out of state to Ohio or Indiana and get your tint from a shop there

Can't stop the signal

MMBLUE
04-24-2015, 03:28 AM
Tint FTW !!

HotRaud90
04-24-2015, 04:10 AM
The only color Marauder that really looks good with tint is black.

I realize this is your opinion and you're entitled to it....but it's pretty much false. Tint looks good on any Marauder I've seen. No tint will just make you look like a grandpa in a Grand Marqwis. Get tinted up.

Tint looks great on all colors. Travel out of state to Ohio or Indiana and get your tint from a shop there

Can't stop the signal

This.

Tint FTW !!

And this too.

fastblackmerc
04-24-2015, 04:25 AM
Tint it....

Just get whatever tint is legal on your state.... less problems later on.

CoreyM75
04-24-2015, 06:31 AM

Can't stop the signal

That's an idea, but if there is an issue with the tint later on, I'm not fond of driving to Ohio to get it addressed. Not to mention that a fix it ticket for tint is over 100.00 in my county.

CoreyM75
04-24-2015, 06:34 AM
[QUOTE=HotRaud90;1445310]I realize this is your opinion and you're entitled to it....but it's pretty much false. Tint looks good on any Marauder I've seen. No tint will just make you look like a grandpa in a Grand Marqwis. Get tinted up. [QUOTE]

I don't have that problem, at least I hope not. I don't have any grey hair yet, and my kids are usually in the back seat screaming to go faster.

CoreyM75
04-24-2015, 06:36 AM
Just wanted to also add that I appreciate the feedback to my question. I know that tint questions have been asked many times before, mostly for black Marauders.

HotRaud90
04-24-2015, 06:53 AM
I realize this is your opinion and you're entitled to it....but it's pretty much false. Tint looks good on any Marauder I've seen. No tint will just make you look like a grandpa in a Grand Marqwis. Get tinted up. [QUOTE]

I don't have that problem, at least I hope not. I don't have any grey hair yet, and my kids are usually in the back seat screaming to go faster.

I was makin a joke to further my opinion. GET TINT. It will look good. Plus, you don't have to have gray hair to look like poindexter w/o tint on his car.
I keed, I keed. :D But seriously, just get it tinted. Doesn't have to be crazy dark. I don't think you'll regret it, even on a DTR ;)

chief455
04-24-2015, 07:39 AM
That's an idea, but if there is an issue with the tint later on, I'm not fond of driving to Ohio to get it addressed. Not to mention that a fix it ticket for tint is over 100.00 in my county.

Here they have a scanner that measures % tint, and they ticket you, and require an inspection. If you do not get said inspection, your plates will be pulled by the DMV. That is the threat, anyway - and I know ricers that have been stopped, scanned and had their tint removed for inspection :eek:

If your state only gives a $$ ticket, I'd tint rears and back glass to the legal limit and just a little on the fronts. Chances are low you'll be picked on, old mans car = not scary gangster mobile. You can buy the film and apply it yourself, not that hard - at least the fronts and rears.

HotRaud90
04-24-2015, 07:50 AM
Here they have a scanner that measures % tint, and they ticket you, and require an inspection. If you do not get said inspection, your plates will be pulled by the DMV. That is the threat, anyway - and I know ricers that have been stopped, scanned and had their tint removed for inspection :eek:

If your state only gives a $$ ticket, I'd tint rears and back glass to the legal limit and just a little on the fronts. Chances are low you'll be picked on, old mans car = not scary gangster mobile. You can buy the film and apply it yourself, not that hard - at least the fronts and rears.

What he said minus doing it yourself, unless you're skilled at it. I had it done at a shop, looks great. Find a reputable shop that's not too pricey and have them do legal limits.

I don't know how the PoPo are in Michigan or how anal they are in your county, but here in Tampa, FL, I've NEVER been looked at sideways for my tint and I have it past the legal limit by about 7-8%. Not encouraging you to go illegal, just providing an example. And mind you, Tampa has TONS of ghetto fab cars and hoopties using super dark tint that are panther model based. If they stopped all those people for tint issues, they wouldn't have time or force size to do anything else...

HammerDown
04-24-2015, 08:03 AM
I was makin a joke to further my opinion. GET TINT. It will look good. Plus, you don't have to have gray hair to look like poindexter w/o tint on his car.
I keed, I keed. :D But seriously, just get it tinted. Doesn't have to be crazy dark. I don't think you'll regret it, even on a DTR ;)

Bought my DTR home on a Saturday and was at the tint shop the next week. Just do it, like above, you won't regret it. Yes, DTRs DO look great with the tint.:D

Just my :twocents:

fastblackmerc
04-24-2015, 08:22 AM
What he said minus doing it yourself, unless you're skilled at it. I had it done at a shop, looks great. Find a reputable shop that's not too pricey and have them do legal limits.

I don't know how the PoPo are in Michigan or how anal they are in your county, but here in Tampa, FL, I've NEVER been looked at sideways for my tint and I have it past the legal limit by about 7-8%. Not encouraging you to go illegal, just providing an example. And mind you, Tampa has TONS of ghetto fab cars and hoopties using super dark tint that are panther model based. If they stopped all those people for tint issues, they wouldn't have time or force size to do anything else...
There is no state inspection in FL..... that's why there "TONS of ghetto fab cars and hoopties" on the road.....

In N.C. if the windows are tinted it gets check to verify that is legal. Adds $10.00 to the cost of the yearly inspection.

HotRaud90
04-24-2015, 08:49 AM
There is no state inspection in FL..... that's why there "TONS of ghetto fab cars and hoopties" on the road.....

In N.C. if the windows are tinted it gets check to verify that is legal. Adds $10.00 to the cost of the yearly inspection.

There might not be a state inspection, but there are laws regarding tint (of course) and you can be pulled on basis of suspicion that it's too dark...or they'll look for somethin else silly to pull you over so they can check. Heard of it happening plenty of times, hence why I did my research before I pulled the trigger on what tint I wanted.

Really just depends on the state. Also why I told him to go legal limit.

Mebot
04-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Tinting my windows on my first Marauder was one of the very first mods I did. Took it it a shop and had them put on 35% all around except for the windshield.

Was ok but wasn't as dark so I took my car back and the guy said look we can do two things here:

1) remove the previous tint completely then reapply 22%. It'll take twice as long, but when we're done we'll know it's 22% because it's laser cut.

Or

2) we apply another coat of 35% over top your existing tint and it'll be darker but we won't know how dark. Could be 22% could be 25% could be 18%, but it'll take half the time.

I said great let's do option 2.

11% tint and I only had 1 ticket in 5 years of owning. If I see a cop coming up or hiding down the street, I roll all my windows down. Never been a problem but I think it's because I'm always on the lookout for other Marauders on the road that I just have a keen eye for Panthers and LEOs.

Moral of the story: tint is also good for helping protect harmful UVA/UVB rays that fade and dull your interior. Every time I'm out and it's sunny I always put up my sunshade. 13 years later on this 2003 car, my front dash and rear dash look new. Thanks tint!

Can't stop the signal

CoreyM75
04-24-2015, 11:40 AM
I know that I couldn't do as good of a tint job as a tint shop would. I would have it done by a pro, so it's done right. I'm leaning towards having the rears done, and not tinting the fronts. I can always have them done if I don't like the look of half tinted. Thanks for all the replies.

Gerry24
04-24-2015, 12:11 PM
I say TINT!!!! 15% all around..

RubberCtyRauder
04-25-2015, 06:09 AM
Ebay sells precut tint for virtually any car. I'm not hmeright now, buthave pics of my old silver birch with just the rear windows and back tinted. not driver or passenger door. i bought the precut tint for the frontdoors and was going to do it myself, but ended up buying the trilogy car. i remember you inquiring about my vortech car. i still have the front door precut tint as i didnt sell it with car.