PDA

View Full Version : Speed Channel 300C Test Drive

Bluerauder
05-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Just saw the Chrysler 300C Test Drive on the Speed Channel. I think this show really points out the limitations of the 300C in the area of handling. With the ESP system engaged, the 300C squealed in every turn on the road course. Side roll was clearly evident and the drivers were working the steering wheel overtime. When the ESP system was disengaged, the 300C was all over the road in the corners. In NASCAR, this is what the drivers call "loose" and the back end was trying to pass the front end. One of the test drivers lost the car on a curve and ran it into the grass sideways. The Marauder held the corners much better in their tests than the Chrysler boat.

A word of caution --- anyone trying to run a 300C with any curves in sight should look for the Chrysler to use your lane and his and maybe even the shoulders, grass, and cornfield.

These are my observations of the test drive of the 300C handling characteristics. :puke:

merc406
05-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Followed one Thurs., I like it, ahhhhlot. :pimp:

cruzer
05-01-2004, 11:42 AM
I got the same impression about the rear end looseness. Funny how thw drivers were so enthusiastic with nothing but glowing terms---they acted like this was the ONLY high perf 4 door rear wheel drive on the road---Every time something like this happens, I get furious with Ford for not giving us a chance :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :censor:

RCSignals
05-01-2004, 03:40 PM
There is a review in the latest Hot Rod magazine too.
They seem to make the limitations sound minor. They hold up the impala SS as the standard, and give the Marauder fleeting mention "flailing Marauder"

i seem to remember the Marauder being slammed for not being able to smoke the rear tires, but when they say the 300C can't smoke the rear tires, it is passed off simply as Ok because you can do it with a little brake help.

According to them, the traction control system can be turned off, but the stability control can't.

They also give a small description of the AWD system, at least as it will be on the V-6.

I think that this will be a car you won't want to own without a factory warranty, if anything goes wrong.

merc406
05-01-2004, 04:12 PM
I think that this will be a car you won't want to own without a factory warranty, if anything goes wrong.

I think that goes for anything that costs as much as a house did back 30 year' in ago. :rasta:

RCSignals
05-01-2004, 04:52 PM
It's going to get worse too

bigslim
05-01-2004, 05:20 PM
I have been trying to figure out what the backend of the 300 looked like. When you come up behind it it looks just like a Malibu Maxx. Same trunk line and tail lights.

merc406
05-01-2004, 05:30 PM
I have been trying to figure out what the backend of the 300 looked like. When you come up behind it it looks just like a Malibu Maxx. Same trunk line and tail lights.

Never seen a M/Maxx yet, the one I saw was black, I like it better in the white I think. The are selling, I see a few anytime I get out. Hope they are made in Detroit :rock: will be good for our crappy economy here.

junehhan
05-01-2004, 05:33 PM
I think the problem, is that a lot of these guys have a fixation on the fastest most horsepower tooting vehicles out there. I believe it's just a bias that lots of automotive journalists seem to have as a high horsepower car seems more likely to have their other shortcomings overlooked. Now if Ford got into this horsepower war going on with a vengence, then the competition better watch out since Ford tends to build extremely balanced vehicles.

BlackHole
05-01-2004, 06:14 PM
I think the problem, is that a lot of these guys have a fixation on the fastest most horsepower tooting vehicles out there. I believe it's just a bias that lots of automotive journalists seem to have as a high horsepower car seems more likely to have their other shortcomings overlooked. Now if Ford got into this horsepower war going on with a vengence, then the competition better watch out since Ford tends to build extremely balanced vehicles.

Thats why they have SVT don't see anything domistic that can give the 03/04 Cobra and 03/04 Lightning to much fits.

stevengerard
05-01-2004, 06:20 PM
My feeling is it is a classic issue of "over promise, under deliver." I remember seeing the MM at the Chicago Auto Show, It was mean looking, fast looking, Cobra engine, gauges, dual exhaust and was the featured car at the Merc booth and besides the GT the MM was really the featured car for Ford from what I remember. And they had a pitch guy going over all of the performance options. Then when it came out, it wasn't tuned like it should have been. You can say the same thing for the Lincoln LS, all the hype before it came out "the American touring sedan to compete with Japenese and Euro cars" - not even close. I have seen more 300Cs on the road then MMs. I'm glad they are out there but so far I'm not diging it - I thought I would, maybe it will grow on me.

Isn't Ford going to come out with the Ford 500 or is that dead?

We can't all sit and worry about the other cars, if I really wanted nothing but performance, I'd have bought a used Viper! Or waited another half of my life for the GT

BlackHole
05-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Isn't Ford going to come out with the Ford 500 or is that dead?

Yes the 500 is schedualed to come out in Sept./Oct 2004 as a 2005 model along with the 2005 Stang

It is much taller wider but shorter than the Tauras/Sable but the interior is so much light years ahead of anything currently in Fords line up.

RCSignals
05-01-2004, 06:41 PM
I have seen more 300Cs on the road then MMs.
Well starting price witha V6 is around 23 or 24 K. So we'll likely be seeing lots of them

Fourth Horseman
05-01-2004, 09:46 PM
My feeling is it is a classic issue of "over promise, under deliver." I remember seeing the MM at the Chicago Auto Show, It was mean looking, fast looking, Cobra engine, gauges, dual exhaust and was the featured car at the Merc booth and besides the GT the MM was really the featured car for Ford from what I remember. And they had a pitch guy going over all of the performance options. Then when it came out, it wasn't tuned like it should have been.

I agree. Plus, as we all know, the car doesn't really come into its own until, what, 8000 miles on the odometer? 10,000? Plus with the really conservative program and gearing it just gives the impression of being slow. I hate to say it, but I think that first impression is what the reviewers are going on. IMO, Ford should really have made the Marauder super charged from the factory. If it had the same power plant under the hood that the Cobra has nobody would have said one bad thing about it.

BlackHole
05-01-2004, 10:48 PM
I agree. Plus, as we all know, the car doesn't really come into its own until, what, 8000 miles on the odometer? 10,000? Plus with the really conservative program and gearing it just gives the impression of being slow. I hate to say it, but I think that first impression is what the reviewers are going on. IMO, Ford should really have made the Marauder super charged from the factory. If it had the same power plant under the hood that the Cobra has nobody would have said one bad thing about it.

Problem the price would jump well into the $40,000 range plus you would
Pay an additional $1000 gas guzzeler tax.

Fourth Horseman
05-02-2004, 01:24 AM
Problem the price would jump well into the $40,000 range plus you would
Pay an additional $1000 gas guzzeler tax.

Yeah, very true. I remember an old addage: There's no replacement for displacement.
:cool4:

RCSignals
05-02-2004, 01:49 AM
Yeah, very true. I remember an old addage: There's no replacement for displacement.
:cool4:
"old" being the keyword.

While the adage still bears truth, it is less significant today. In the heyday of that adage, you'd be hard pressed to get 302 HP out of a factory stock N/A 281 cu in engine.

studio460
05-02-2004, 02:09 AM
Somebody with a modded Marauder, please smoke one of these soon . . .

"Buried to the carpet, the cast-iron 5.7-liter V-8 sounds just like Petty's old Plymouth (if it had mufflers the size of a milk truck). Posting 5.3 to 60 and 13.9 in the quarter at 102 mph, the 300C runs with Mustangs and 350Zs. It muscles right past anything approaching its size and price, including the 270-hp (and 3480-pound) Acura TL, which is good for 5.7 seconds to 60. It puts the Mercury Marauder on a hauler home to Mama." --by Aaron Robinson, Car and Driver [online edition] May 02, 2004.

Am I the only one that thinks these things are as ugly as sin?

merc406
05-02-2004, 02:16 AM

"Buried to the carpet, the cast-iron 5.7-liter V-8 sounds just like Petty's old Plymouth (if it had mufflers the size of a milk truck). Posting 5.3 to 60 and 13.9 in the quarter at 102 mph, the 300C runs with Mustangs and 350Zs. It muscles right past anything approaching its size and price, including the 270-hp (and 3480-pound) Acura TL, which is good for 5.7 seconds to 60. It puts the Mercury Marauder on a hauler home to Mama." --by Aaron Robinson, Car and Driver [online edition] May 02, 2004.

Am I the only one that thinks these things are as ugly as sin?

Car and Liar, I guess Driver said that? Man, them's fight'in words. :bounce: I think the "real" 1/4 #'s will be out after the hype. :lol:

RCSignals
05-02-2004, 02:39 AM

Am I the only one that thinks these things are as ugly as sin?From Car and Driver that's not surprising.

Sounds like they are just using DCXs estimated track times too.

Sounds like Petty's old Plymouth? I've heard it sounds rather sedate. At any rate the way DCX is marketing the 300C as an upscale formal luxury car, I'm sure they'll be pleased to read it sounds like it has holes in it's muffler(s)

edited to add:

Andrew (duhtroll) wrote a good review of his test drive in a 300c. posted in "story board" if you haven't read it. I believe him a lot more more than C+D, and Andrew is a mopar guy

Here is what he says about the exhaust note

The other part of "blah" would be the exhaust note. Seriously, where the hell is it? I know this was marketed as a luxury sedan, but like they are so fond of saying "It's got a Hemi."

Sure as hell doesn't SOUND like it has a Hemi. Unless Hemi is Greek for "librarian."
So the question is, what was C+D driving in their test?

Fourth Horseman
05-02-2004, 03:25 AM
"old" being the keyword.

While the adage still bears truth, it is less significant today. In the heyday of that adage, you'd be hard pressed to get 302 HP out of a factory stock N/A 281 cu in engine.

Absolutely, but we only get that at, what, 5500 RPM? I'd like to make more power down low, and a bigger engine would probably do that, would it not?

Again, no complaints here. I'm way happy with my 32 valve 4.6. I'm just saying that it'd be nice to have some more displacement under the hood.

Bluerauder
05-02-2004, 05:11 AM
I got the same impression about the rear end looseness. Funny how thw drivers were so enthusiastic with nothing but glowing terms---they acted like this was the ONLY high perf 4 door rear wheel drive on the road---Every time something like this happens, I get furious with Ford for not giving us a chance :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :censor:
Cruzer,
I am glad to see that someone else besides me actually saw the 300C test drive TV segment. You just don't get the same insight from reading the car magazines as watching it take the turns sideways. I suspect that 300C owners will be replacing rubber with every oil change. It seems to have the same suspension as the Queen Mary. Moreover, off the line the 300C was able to "chirp" the tires; but the rear end jumped about 2 feet to the right before the drivers were able to get it straightened out. As a Luxo Box, the 300C may offer some advantages. However, in overall performance, the owners better take a class in skid recovery 'cause they are gonna need it.

one bad dakota
05-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Well I guess I could say a big fat I told you so, but not even I predicted a ET that fast. I figured it would be a little faster than the Marauder, but Car & Driver's numbers stunned me. DC's own conservative estimates were 6.3 for 0-60. I suppose it could be a ringer, but Road & Track went 14.1 with theirs. If those numbers are legit, the public will undoubtedly run even better times.
I test drove one as well, and it is definetly set up for a cushy ride. Although its skid pad numbers are respectable. Some better tires and more spring would do wonders for that car. My biggest complaint was the traction control. Even when disconnected, it would still engage and limit tire spin.

duhtroll
05-02-2004, 06:16 AM
I wanna see one of these against a stock 04 MM. It will not be the blowout that Car & Liar thinks it will. It will be close.

Then take the price difference since people are paying sticker for the Daimler Benz product, and put that amount into mods for the MM. THEN compare everything else about the two cars - like Bill Paxton sez in Aliens "game over, man! Game over!"

I was REALLY hyped about their hemi sedan until I saw what it looked like, and the interior is not much better than the exterior. Boxy and gaudy are two appropriate words. They have tried to go with what seems to be to be the Bentley or Rolls look throughout - I'm not really schooled on those cars but that is what my mind jumps to when I look inside the 300.

I drove Dodge for the past two cars before the MM and I switched. I know I'm only one guy but that says something to me because I am very picky about what I drive.

-A

woaface
05-02-2004, 10:10 AM
You know, I love Lincoln. From the Aviator to the Town Car...everything is really cool (Except I'd have to do a few things to a Town Car, it's kind of anemic under the hood)

They're just so georgious! Like the Aviator and Navigator...I love to google over them.

Yes, much more interesting and more beautifully designed than Chrysler.

http://www.lincoln.com/vehicles/vehi_avi/images/image05.jpg

http://www.lincoln.com/vehicles/vehi_nav/images/image08.jpg

MikesMerc
05-02-2004, 10:32 AM

Done....Twice! (an extra time for you, NBC). Same guy on two different nights too. He didn't learn the first time. I was sure he went home and read his C&D trying to figre out how he got beat after the first time. It was priceless the second time. I thought he was gonna :bigcry: at the light when he finally caught up with me. He couldn't even bear to look over. Yes, I enjoyed it very much :rasta:

BTW, it looks too luxo and not enough muscle for my taste.

RCSignals
05-02-2004, 01:16 PM
In the old days it was typical for chrysler to send specially modified cars out to magazines for review. sounds like that's what they are doing now.

If C+D numbers are real, in a 2 1/2 ton barge like the 300C, why even bother with the Viper V10 engine anymore?

one bad dakota
05-02-2004, 05:58 PM
BTW, it looks too luxo and not enough muscle for my taste.
Then why did you buy a slower car to begin with?

MikesMerc
05-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Then why did you buy a slower car to begin with?

Hello? What did you not understand about my comment re the looks of the 300C? :confused: How fast my MM may, or may not be, modified or in stock form, has nothing to do with the looks of the 300C which was what I was obviously commenting on.

And I stand by my comment...the 300C looks like its made for the soft in the middle crowd and has a bad Euro wanna be identity crisis. Visually it lacks anything muscular at all. Not to mention the exhuast of the 300C Hemi I test drove sounded more like a vacuum cleaner than a hi po motor. Frankly, due to the soft luxo looks, and the poor handling, they could never make the 300c fast enough for me to want to buy one. Considering that my max investment in my MM (all mods including S/C) was less than $1500 over the sticker of the 300C I test drove, I'm quite pleased with my purchase decision :banana:

Cobra25
05-02-2004, 06:34 PM
I must say I do like the way it looks,but trade in my Marauder for one ,no way!

SILVERMARAUDER
05-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Yes the 500 is schedualed to come out in Sept./Oct 2004 as a 2005 model along with the 2005 Stang

It is much taller wider but shorter than the Tauras/Sable but the interior is so much light years ahead of anything currently in Fords line up.

FYI....almost same dash as new Ford Freestar. :P

Silver_04
05-09-2004, 05:16 PM
I think ze Germans are slipping some Euros to the automotive press on this one. Autoweek TV hyped it up, C&D hyped it up and I keep asking why. The car is ugly and the handling is sub par.

I think a tax should be imposed on Daimler Chrysler so valuable sheet steel does not get used in this ugly automobile unless a hefty fee is paid. Mine eyes.

Stew
05-11-2004, 06:11 PM
I don't think so. those Hemis are good motors!!!!!! I have seen a few 4800+ pound Hemi Rams hitting mid 14s STOCK, the 300 is around 600 pounds lighter AND has different cams/manifolds for more torque. The benz 5 speed auto is also less parasitic than the 5 speed Chrysler auto in the Dodge. No doubt this car will leave a stock Marauder or my beloved LT1 B-bodies choking on dust!

Brian

woaface
05-11-2004, 06:13 PM
I don't think so. those Hemis are good motors!!!!!! I have seen a few 4800+ pound Hemi Rams hitting mid 14s STOCK, the 300 is around 600 pounds lighter AND has different cams/manifolds for more torque. The benz 5 speed auto is also less parasitic than the 5 speed Chrysler auto in the Dodge. No doubt this car will leave a stock Marauder or my beloved LT1 B-bodies choking on dust!

Brian
Hey those 4800lb Hemi rams aren't stock...so be gone troll! I've seen a few 4200lb Marauder's in the low 12s.

Haggis
05-12-2004, 09:50 AM
...so be gone troll! I've seen a few 4200lb Marauder's in the low 12s.

Good boy, easy now boy easy. :up:

Marauderman
05-12-2004, 06:36 PM
A word of caution --- anyone trying to run a 300C with any curves in sight should look for the Chrysler to use your lane and his and maybe even the shoulders, grass, and cornfield.

These are my observations of the test drive of the 300C handling characteristics. :puke:

Actually that applies mostly to those of us with the new M and Z rear arms--cause they make us STICK...so thanks... I'll sure keep your info in memory....Tom..

RCSignals
05-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by tstrat99

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Actually that applies mostly to those of us with the new M and Z rear arms--cause they make us STICK...so thanks... I'll sure keep your info in memory....Tom..
Actually, in the curves, it applies just as well to a stock Marauder.
While the M and Z's may increase "stickines" these cars are great in the twisties

junehhan
05-12-2004, 10:16 PM
I definately have to agree with that. I just can't believe how nimble the Marauder feels, considering it's size and weight. It feels like a much smaller vehicle, and it's amazing how confidently you can take sharp curved roads. My biggest problem is trying to keep myself from sliding around in the seat though.............

RCSignals
05-12-2004, 11:01 PM
My biggest problem is trying to keep myself from sliding around in the seat though.............
Try using less leather polish....:lol:

Haggis
05-13-2004, 06:58 AM
...My biggest problem is trying to keep myself from sliding around in the seat though.............

Try installing a 5 point safety harness... ;)

Bluerauder
05-13-2004, 07:05 AM
Or opt for the less expensive Velcro pants and sticky seat modification.
:lol:

TAF
05-13-2004, 07:06 AM
It's doable...

Haggis
05-13-2004, 07:22 AM
It's doable...

Are you letting out one of your SECERETS Tod???

TAF
05-13-2004, 07:24 AM
Are you letting out one of your SECERETS Tod???
Naw...I just think it's required...for a 10 second car ;)

RCSignals
05-13-2004, 08:07 PM
Saw an ad today, showed a 300C, and said "up to $4,000 cash back"

Now when Mercury started offering such discount on the Marauder, certain people yelled, "see it's dead, it's the only way they can sell it, it's a flop they're discounting it"

Why don't I hear them yelling about this with the 300C?

Stew
05-13-2004, 08:17 PM
FYI, not a troll, just stating facts, research, research, research...... There have been a few, regular cabs with 16 inch rims, but they DO run that. A number of 2WD quad cabs have hit low 15s, and 2500s are hitting high 15s (visit www.dodgetrucks.org please before you try to down another vehicle). I like the Raider, but a Hemi Ram will run with one..... A hemi 300 will kill one, stock to stock of course, the game is over when you start modding.

RCSignals
05-13-2004, 08:43 PM
FYI, not a troll, just stating facts, research, research, research...... There have been a few, regular cabs with 16 inch rims, but they DO run that. A number of 2WD quad cabs have hit low 15s, and 2500s are hitting high 15s (visit www.dodgetrucks.org (http://www.dodgetrucks.org/) please before you try to down another vehicle). I like the Raider, but a Hemi Ram will run with one..... A hemi 300 will kill one, stock to stock of course, the game is over when you start modding.
You've done your research, research, research while driving your Marauder (raider) have you Stew?

I've visited Car and Driver for info on the Marauder. should I believe what is there?

Stew
05-13-2004, 08:53 PM
heck, why not LO. Please don't think i have anything against the Marauder LOL, but with C&D, AND MT, anbd Road and track all getting high 13s/very low 14s at over 100 miles an hour from the 300 hemi C, that IS something to take to heart and i meant Rauder, as in marauder. hell, i drive a freaking Chevy so i can't be too biased between a Mercury and a Chrysler LOL....... Anyways, I am out, not here to argue, just post in fun. Believe me, i wouldn't post at all if i didn't think the Marauder was a worthy performance vehicle. :D

Brian

moose9102
05-13-2004, 09:34 PM
Is it me or does the 300 look a bit like this car?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=1171&page_number=1

Or maybe I need to lay off the bottle for a while?!?!

All I know is, the Marauder would never be mistaken for another car. It truely is one of a kind.:rock:

Matt

junehhan
05-13-2004, 10:09 PM
Saw an ad today, showed a 300C, and said "up to $4,000 cash back"

Now when Mercury started offering such discount on the Marauder, certain people yelled, "see it's dead, it's the only way they can sell it, it's a flop they're discounting it"

Why don't I hear them yelling about this with the 300C?

Automotive bias and prejudice IMHO. It's amazing how different cars get treated differently by the same people. I havn't seen any of those ads, and I certainly hope that the new 300 isn't having sales trouble. While I flat out don't like it, we need cars like that to keep the RWD trend alive.

Out of curiosity, has anyone installed a 5 point harness into their Marauder? I don't think I could fit in one, but that is something to think about eventually. So Todd, are you implying that you may be getting a 10 second Marauder? :)

I havn't polished or treated these leather seats at all, but they are just so slippery. Not having hardly any lateral support makes it worse......

RCSignals
05-13-2004, 10:48 PM
Personally I don't think "cash back" offers are a sign of trouble. They've pretty much become the expected norm these days.
If DC is having trouble selling the 300C (which I don't think they are) it sure isn't from lack of advertising.

Stew
05-15-2004, 11:42 AM
i like the marauder, but i can think of at least 2 cars it looks a lot alike :D IMHO, you have to be the only one who thinks the 300 looks like that ..... thing, looks more like they were targeting the Jaguar look..... have you seen a 300 in person?" there is NO car that looks like it........

Brian

Stew
05-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Personally I don't think "cash back" offers are a sign of trouble. They've pretty much become the expected norm these days.
If DC is having trouble selling the 300C (which I don't think they are) it sure isn't from lack of advertising.

300s are selling WELL above expectations, in fact there is a 12 month wait on the hemis because the demand is so high!!!! It seems to be a runaway success.

Brian

junehhan
05-15-2004, 04:06 PM
IMHO, the new 300's look more like a Kia Armanti than anything else, although it does also look like a trimmed down Maybach. When I first posted, I said that the 300C is absolutely hideous. I finally got a chance to see one in person, and it's not that bad. The rear is a bit wierd though.............

RCSignals
05-16-2004, 07:29 PM
When I first posted, I said that the 300C is absolutely hideous. I finally got a chance to see one in person, and it's not that bad. The rear is a bit wierd though.............
So is the front.........and the ultra high belt line....

RCSignals
05-16-2004, 07:37 PM
i like the marauder, but i can think of at least 2 cars it looks a lot alike :D IMHO, you have to be the only one who thinks the 300 looks like that ..... thing, looks more like they were targeting the Jaguar look..... have you seen a 300 in person?" there is NO car that looks like it........

Brian
No, he's not the only one who thinks the 300 looks similar to that. (But Kia doesn't do much original anyway)

You're right about the Marauder, who's basic styling first appeared in 1998. Since that time many auto manufacturers have picked up on styling elements from it and used them. On the latest new offerings too. Some styling is just ahead, and timeless.

For someone who professes to not be a TROLL, you aren't succeeding in not appearing to be one.

Hoosier Daddy
05-17-2004, 04:20 AM
I drove the 2005 Chrysler 300C "Hemi" Saturday. I think it's awesome. The one I drove had just been delivered the day before & was loaded to the gills!! It really pulls when you step on it. My LX Sport can't hold a candle to it. To be quite honest, I think it can whip a stock Marauder's ass & I've driven both a 2003 & a 2004 (by far the better of the two). I'll be looking to get a 2006 model "all-wheel drive" (assuming they put that on the Hemi model) with all the options (of course).

I'm sorry to say that I opted out of the '04 DTR I was going to get because someone I abhor in these "panther" forums got the very same model I had ordered (he's the type of guy that starts namecalling once his peanut brain believes that someone is "copycatting" him - I know that my reasons may seem somewhat shallow, but I just won't allow myself to be placed in a "situation" & then have to deal with his sorry ass. I had to ask another forum to terminate my account because of him - just so I wouldn't be tempted to get into any further scuffles with him).

I don't yet know if I'll be keeping my '02 Sport as my daily driver or not, but either way, even if I have to let momma have the 300C, it'll be in my driveway just as soon as possible (I never buy a first year model - they'll need to work out all those little "bugs" they'll undoubtedly find). For those who don't believe it can run "balls to the wall", go test drive it yourself - you won't be disappointed.

duhtroll
05-17-2004, 05:31 AM
I did (drive it) and I was (disappointed).

Then the sales guy drove mine, and was more impressed with the comfort, ride, sound, and appearance of the MM.

We drove them back to back in the same exact situations. I can't compare it to stock, but I know my stage I ride would take the 300C, and for less money and my car has far more attitude.

-A

RCSignals
05-17-2004, 12:14 PM
I've seen pictures of the 300C all wheel drive system. I see many future problems. (as I do with other electronic driving controls on the 300C, as well as the "displacement on demand")
One thing I didn't like is parts of it go through the oil pan.

SHERIFF
05-17-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm sorry to say that I opted out of the '04 DTR I was going to get because someone I abhor in these "panther" forums got the very same model I had ordered (he's the type of guy that starts namecalling once his peanut brain believes that someone is "copycatting" him - I know that my reasons may seem somewhat shallow, but I just won't allow myself to be placed in a "situation" & then have to deal with his sorry ass. I had to ask another forum to terminate my account because of him - just so I wouldn't be tempted to get into any further scuffles with him).

Why would any of the above cause you not to buy a car you like?

On a much sadder note, you do realize the poor trade-in value an older LX Sport has on a new Marauder? Trade-in on a 2002 would be about $12,000 to $13,000 at best. Have to love the depreciation on Fords, Lincolns and Mercurys!

woaface
05-17-2004, 12:42 PM
I did (drive it) and I was (disappointed).

Then the sales guy drove mine, and was more impressed with the comfort, ride, sound, and appearance of the MM.

We drove them back to back in the same exact situations. I can't compare it to stock, but I know my stage I ride would take the 300C, and for less money and my car has far more attitude.

-A
I finally saw that show! The cartoon you get your avatars from. MAN that was a FUNNY SHOW!!! I was rollin' in tears man:baaa:

duhtroll
05-17-2004, 01:36 PM
And I hear it's coming back - Family Guy that is. I think early 2005 they will have some new episodes.

What a day that will be - *almost* as cool as the day I found my MM.

Almost half as cool as May 7, 2004 (Lucy's b-day) :D

-A

junehhan
05-17-2004, 09:20 PM
And I hear it's coming back - Family Guy that is. I think early 2005 they will have some new episodes.

What a day that will be - *almost* as cool as the day I found my MM.

Almost half as cool as May 7, 2004 (Lucy's b-day) :D

-A

The "Family Guy" is coming back on the air? We are talking about the Fox cartoon that was cancelled right? If so, that is going to be awesome, as I loved it. I hope they keep the same voices, such as Alex Bornstein doing that lady, and so on..........

As far as not opting for the DTR Marauder goes, why would the fact that someone else ordered the same Marauder as you have anything to do with it? There must be hundreds of DTR Marauder's running around...........
It really is your loss, especially since the deals are so good on what's left now. Enjoy your Hemi Powered 300C..........

RCSignals
05-17-2004, 10:58 PM
As far as not opting for the DTR Marauder goes, why would the fact that someone else ordered the same Marauder as you have anything to do with it? There must be hundreds of DTR Marauder's running around...........
It really is your loss, especially since the deals are so good on what's left now. Enjoy your Hemi Powered 300C..........
It is his loss. Junehhan, it's an old CV board thing. He is aka "zeeky banutski" (or something like that)
It's all very silly

SHERIFF
05-18-2004, 03:19 PM
It really is your loss..........

It works the other way too.............. I know one guy who ran out and took cash advances on all his credit cards so he could get into a new Marauder to keep up with the Smiths! It's a really whacky world!

junehhan
05-18-2004, 09:18 PM
It works the other way too.............. I know one guy who ran out and took cash advances on all his credit cards so he could get into a new Marauder to keep up with the Smiths! It's a really whacky world!

Yeah, but what happens when he hits something we call "buyers' remorse?" Credit Cards at 20-25% interest has got to be depressing.............

RCSignals
05-19-2004, 12:36 AM
I saw a 300C "in the flesh" today. Sorry, but to me it was just as ugly in person.

SHERIFF
05-19-2004, 06:30 AM
It is his loss. Junehhan, it's an old CV board thing. He is aka "zeeky banutski" (or something like that)
It's all very silly

Signals, you know as well as I do...... the $14,000 to $16,000 difference to step up to a new 2004 DTR Marauder is closer to the real reason.

There's a lot of cars I simply can't justify or afford right now too. I have a daughter going into college in 4 or 5 years.

And Junehan, I agree with you on the credit card interest rate thing. It was the dumbest thing I had ever seen done to afford a new car.

SHERIFF
05-19-2004, 06:32 AM
I saw a 300C "in the flesh" today. Sorry, but to me it was just as ugly in person.

That what people said about the last generation of the Caprice. Even cops hated them the first few years. Now they pray they had them back. The new 300 is just like clothing styles, takes a while to grow on you. I have seen several..... I like them. I think they look just as good as a $100,000 Mercedes.

junehhan
05-19-2004, 09:20 PM
That what people said about the last generation of the Caprice. Even cops hated them the first few years. Now they pray they had them back. The new 300 is just like clothing styles, takes a while to grow on you. I have seen several..... I like them. I think they look just as good as a $100,000 Mercedes.

Yes, but knowing Chrysler's past quality control problems, the real question is: "Sure it looks like a $100,000 Mercedes, but will this thing really hold up better than that $9000 Kia Sephia over at the Kia dealership?"

RCSignals
05-19-2004, 09:35 PM
The first Caprice is a different thing. The rear wheel wells made them ugly, and most people still think those early ones are ugly. They improved significantly when they opened up the rear wheel wells. The Impala ss's though are best looking. The chrome trim on the Caprices sticks out like a sore thumb.

Sheriff, when are you going to order a 300C?

hitchhiker
05-19-2004, 09:55 PM
The first Caprice is a different thing. The rear wheel wells made them ugly, and most people still think those early ones are ugly. They improved significantly when they opened up the rear wheel wells. The Impala ss's though are best looking. The chrome trim on the Caprices sticks out like a sore thumb.

Sheriff, when are you going to order a 300C?

Given Sherriff's track record for agitating on the automotive sites, he will probably order a 300C and never shut up about it. Or at least he'll say he did.

I stilll say that the 300C is BUTT UGLY!

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

SHERIFF
05-20-2004, 05:43 AM
I have never had a Chrysler product go past 60,000 miles without major repairs. So I doubt I will be getting one.

BlackHole
05-20-2004, 02:30 PM
My take of the 300C

Looks are totally subjective but I don't like the carved from a single block of steel look. Now the 1 I test drove tonight was a Touring Package with 5.7 Hemi for around 34,700. Take off yes its quicker by about a second over my MM with 14,900 Miles. Handling is inferior interior is more upscale. But this is no performance oriented vehicle. More of a land yachet with power. Going around 1 of my favorite curves a 25 MPH 1 had to slow down to 40 MPH in order to hold it compared to the MM which takes the same exact curve at 60 MPH with no tire squall like the 300C exhibited.

I like the salesman he thought the 300 would just tramp the MM but he soon realized only in a straight line it has the MM game. But anything else its a poor performer. He even said that Mercury didn't know what they had.

Now would I buy 1 maybe if it was about $5,000 cheaper and maybe some other stuff like some free oil changes. But my MM's a keeper plus if one beats up on the MM then my other brick comes out and I know theres no 300C out there that can do 12's. :up: :up: :up:

stevengerard
05-20-2004, 09:25 PM
I saw one on the expressway today with MFR plates on. Standing still they aren't my style but moving this car really looked nice - silver. But even though it has a hemi I still feel its kind of a different car. The MMs are American bad*ss muscle cars, the 300C is competing with a different market. I agree I think the look will really grow on folks just like the old Taurus when it first came out. But its trying to be a poor man's Bently our cars are just plain mean. Heck if I wanted that I could have bought an 2000 540i for 25k - no thanks.

junehhan
05-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Given Sherriff's track record for agitating on the automotive sites, he will probably order a 300C and never shut up about it. Or at least he'll say he did.

I stilll say that the 300C is BUTT UGLY!

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

I just can't understand what kind of beef some of you guys have with Sheriff. I've followed him around on several sites and I just can't understand what he did so wrong to deserve this kind of treatment from a few people. If Sherriff really did something on the other automotive sites, that's fine, but this is not one of those other automotive sites. We come here to share our love for what most of us believe is one of the finest cars Ford makes(made).

SHERIFF
05-21-2004, 05:23 AM
I just can't understand what kind of beef some of you guys have with Sheriff. I've followed him around on several sites and I just can't understand what he did so wrong to deserve this kind of treatment from a few people.

They just don't understand my sense of humor.

For example, a central Virginia funeral home bought a Mercury Marauder believe it or not. If I was to post anything about it here they would think I am trying to start trouble and making fun of the car. But in reality, I think a funeral home owning a Mercury Marauder is absolutely hilarious!

Other than the sense of humor misunderstanding, I think I got somebody's daughter pregnant! I don't remember it though. :baaa:

Bradley G
05-21-2004, 05:53 AM
They just don't understand my sense of humor.

For example, a central Virginia funeral home bought a Mercury Marauder believe it or not. If I was to post anything about it here they would think I am trying to start trouble and making fun of the car. But in reality, I think a funeral home owning a Mercury Marauder is absolutely hilarious!

Other than the sense of humor misunderstanding, I think I got somebody's daughter pregnant! I don't remember it though. :baaa:Did you ask your sister?

SHERIFF
05-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Did you ask your sister?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't have any sisters.

Bradley G
05-21-2004, 11:54 AM
:nono:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't have any sisters. Go figure

Dr Caleb
05-21-2004, 12:24 PM
That's exactally what Junehhan was talking about. Not friendly in the least. Sheriff makes a joke, and you make it personal.

Don't go making Logan's site all hostile like this. Play nice.

Bradley G
05-21-2004, 12:43 PM
That's exactally what Junehhan was talking about. Not friendly in the least. Sheriff makes a joke, and you make it personal.

Don't go making Logan's site all hostile like this. Play nice.My deepest appoligies to Sherriff . Please forgive me I got carried away.

SHERIFF
05-21-2004, 02:34 PM
Looking back...... I guess I should probably add why I think a funeral home owning a Mercury Marauder is hilarious............ when's the last time a mortician has needed 302 horsepower and needed to be in a hurry as he runs around town doing errands such as pick up death certificates? It's kinda like having a FORD GT40 to deliver pizzas! :rock:

By the way, funeral home vehicles historically have low mileage on them when their retirement date comes along. I am gonna watch this Marauder very closely and try to buy it in 4 or 5 years when they get ready to trade it or upgrade to a newer vehicle. The funeral director simply thinks he has a Grand Marquis with shiny wheels. I can probably get it in a few years with 30,000 to 40,000 miles on it for a song and dance!