PDA

View Full Version : What do you Northerners do for Marauder withdrawals??

JBeezy
04-30-2015, 07:53 PM
My wheels have been sent off for about 4 weeks now, and I haven't been able to drive my car. Fortunately it's been raining a lot so I have been ok. Now we are having some descent weather and it's getting to me. I'm about to go crazy. [emoji31]

I don't see how you guys store your car for the winter. I understand why though.

stevengerard
04-30-2015, 08:18 PM
Well, we learn that the storage makes it that much better come spring time.

CoreyM75
04-30-2015, 08:24 PM
It beats the alternative of watching the car rust away to nothing.

justbob
04-30-2015, 08:26 PM
I get sick of the car easier and easier as the years pass by. Sure it still tingles my danglies from time to time, but I have no issues forgetting about it. Every March I unwrap it and change something, April I do Louisville, the summers I get my fill, and then the snow comes and I want to play in the F150 instead. Then repeat.

Builder Of Badassery

JBeezy
04-30-2015, 08:35 PM
All I can think about doing now is some type of mod that I can't justify other than wanting it. Just anything to spend some time with her on jackstands. I did take the time to paint the caliper brackets for the front and replace rear rotors and paint those calipers as well.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/30/6fb5a97ac4f6b0c185f8166d62798b 38.jpg

Bigdogjim
04-30-2015, 09:14 PM
I do drive mine on the cold clear crisp winter days:)

88CuttyClassic
04-30-2015, 10:02 PM
I drive mine all year in pa. Frame, fender lips, etc are all painted with POR15. I have weekend toys, this car was built to drive .

RF Overlord
05-01-2015, 03:48 AM
It beats the alternative of watching the car rust away to nothing.This.

Or feeling that sickening crunch when some moron in a Lexus slams into you because he thought "front-wheel drive doesn't need snow tires" and he couldn't stop.

CHSurvivor
05-01-2015, 04:26 AM
4 weeks...LOL....Mine sat for 6 months through this horrible winter we had. The 6th month I laid under it and removed all the undercoating to now have a factory floor finish. Great time for us to service brakes, change oil and other fluids. I also did my CCP and diff fluid and detailed under hood best I could. For us Canucks who dont play hockey, live in iglos and drink beer. We go in the garage and tinker....for those without garages we bench race.!

vtwoodsman
05-01-2015, 04:46 AM
Store mine for 6 months. Need to in Vermont.

jsignorelli
05-01-2015, 05:16 AM
Missing the Marauder for the winter 'aint so bad. How about missing six modified Mustangs and a Marauder!! Now that is withdrawal!

TGIS - Thank God it's Spring!

chief455
05-01-2015, 05:40 AM
Store mine for 6 months. Need to in Vermont.

I do too.
Parked it in November when they first salted roads. Registering it today.
It makes for less miles per year on the car, more smiles per mile of appreciation!
Withdrawal? Buy parts all winter for spring upgrades ;)

JBeezy
05-01-2015, 06:03 AM
Missing the Marauder for the winter 'aint so bad. How about missing six modified Mustangs and a Marauder!! Now that is withdrawal!

TGIS - Thank God it's Spring!
I feel your pain there too. My 88 Coupe has been on Jack stands for months. Waiting on my buddy to weld the 3" exhaust in. The closest I can get to any power is with my V6 Honda Accord
Flame on!!!!!!

Curless
05-01-2015, 06:38 AM
I have no issue storing my cars, been doing it for years. I was 16 and had a winter beater. We have to or else our cars will rot away!

Sully008
05-01-2015, 07:00 AM
My next winter beater is a 2008 CVPI. I consider it a good alternative for Marauder withdrawal when there's a ton of snow and it's -35ºC out.

tbone
05-01-2015, 07:11 AM
I've put maybe 500 miles on it in the last year.

camelgrundle
05-01-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm glad the marauder is back in action. That 04 Taurus was not cutting it over the winter lol.

RubberCtyRauder
05-01-2015, 10:25 AM
It's not really hard when you live in a climate like others have posted. I don't care to drive mine in salt and crap. I like to go to cruise ins and pop the hood and if it goes thru winter then under hood can look aoxidized over time. I don't drive mine daily anyway even when not winter. It makes everytime driving it that much better IMO.

LSp8
05-03-2015, 08:27 AM
I drive mine all year in pa. Frame, fender lips, etc are all painted with POR15. I have weekend toys, this car was built to drive .

There were days when I had no choice but to drive my car in the horrible winter. Its easy justification for having heated seats. This car was built to handle year round climate as long as you keep the undercarriage clean and the salt/chemicals off the frame/wheels. Some ppl I know have MMs as there only car but as they get older they're slowly becoming weekend and light duty cars.

JBeezy
05-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Only a few more days left. I guess I could deal with it better under those circumstances. It's great you guys put them up to preserve them when you can. Everyone is always telling me these cars will be collector's one day. Idk

CHSurvivor
05-07-2015, 06:31 AM
this is why I will I wont drive mine in inclement weather...
Stays nice, warm, dry and free of sale in my climate controlled secure garage.

tbone
05-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Only a few more days left. I guess I could deal with it better under those circumstances. It's great you guys put them up to preserve them when you can. Everyone is always telling me these cars will be collector's one day. Idk

When the government forces everyone to drive cars on par with a Prius, and all the cool cars on the road now are melted down, yeah, it will be a collector car.

chief455
05-07-2015, 04:58 PM
When the government forces everyone to drive cars on par with a Prius, and all the cool cars on the road now are melted down, yeah, it will be a collector car.
from my cold, dead hands will anyone melt my toy.
I'll drive it WOT into their headquarters first.
I'm out of 6 month winter storage, and loving it like a new girlfriend ;)

justbob
05-07-2015, 06:58 PM
this is why I will I wont drive mine in inclement weather...

Stays nice, warm, dry and free of sale in my climate controlled secure garage.

So in with the undercarriage shots.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/07/3c6c90a2b6d4a916a9a5608bcde5f2 99.jpg

Builder Of Badassery

camelgrundle
05-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Your bottom looks great..... All it is missing is a shaft. Hahahah

chief455
05-07-2015, 07:15 PM
beat me to it ;)
you have a clean bottom but no shaft :eek:

tbone
05-07-2015, 07:46 PM
That is a work of art Roberto.

ChiTownMaraud3r
05-07-2015, 07:59 PM
I keep mine minimally driven so every second is absolutely amazing when I finally use it. The yearn to mod it also seems to keep my interest.

justbob
05-08-2015, 07:54 PM
beat me to it ;)
you have a clean bottom but no shaft :eek:

Better? [emoji6]
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/08/cc5e5ef4d70b4cb23800cb72072874 32.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/08/35c0729bca684f52098e09eb0f4d81 f2.jpg

Builder Of Badassery

Anthony84
05-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Daily driver:) But they also don't salt roads here; just deicer spray and it gets washed weekly year round. 4148241483

Motorhead350
05-09-2015, 05:10 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Mine is driven year around. It's going to wear out and break anyway no matter what. Might as well enjoy it when you can count on it to do anything you want. Verse a classic that you wouldn't dare leave town with... even years from now when the Marauder becomes a classic.

Worst case, I have a 93 Ford E-250 Econoline Van, but traction is horrible in the snow, off of the line... and stopping can be a project too.

MarauderCyclone
05-10-2015, 01:37 AM
My MM sits in the garage everyday in North Carolina...wouldn't let it see a rain drop on a dare. Mine only has 36k and some change on it and I have plenty of other cars/trucks to drive , so yes the MM gets treated like a King

My 1994 Eddie Bauer Bronco , that spent 3.5 Years in Pittsburgh on the other hand is showing the signs from having been there , regardless of how religious I was about getting it washed off after snow event. The 1994 Lightning I have looks nearly new with 156k indicated , but that thing will eat you out of house and home keeping it filled up.

The 68 Cyclone ,two 68 Torino GT's and the 1972 Mach 1 get the same treatment as the MM...I didn't buy'em and fix'em up to let the elements destroy them after all these years...they do get some use 6 months out of 12 in N.C. anyway...way more than the MM does. The 2000 Crown Vic serves it's domestic driving purposes at 83k on the clock.

camelgrundle
05-10-2015, 04:34 AM
Better? [emoji6]
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/08/cc5e5ef4d70b4cb23800cb72072874 32.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/08/35c0729bca684f52098e09eb0f4d81 f2.jpg

Builder Of Badassery

Why is the tip of your shaft so shiny? You must polish it alot. Lol looks good man

88CuttyClassic
05-10-2015, 07:03 PM
I dont blame a lot of you for wanting to preserve your marauder but at the same time my view on it is who are you preserving it for? The younger generations wont know cars like we did, they wont care about them as we did. They indoctrinate these kids that fossil fuel burning automobiles are evil. they dont have the level of respect for cars like we do amd those before us did. They are satisfied with a rattle canned pile of crap with stickers all over the back glass. They are part of the alternative energy generation. They will put more importance in electric cars and what fuctions it can do for their lazy selves . Ie parking assist, braking assist, driving assist.

Certain cars will always hold a certain place, mainly the ones from the muscle car era. Cars like the marauder, impala SS, etc will just be footnotes. Drive them, enjoy them, life is too short to worry about rain drops. The GNX is the posterchild....how many of the "fortunate 547" actually enjoyed one of the baddest cars ever built. Its fun to watch an auction and see they go for absurd money but if you truly love cars its just another car that didnt serve much purpose other than a 1:1 scale diecast.

tbone
05-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Mine will never see salt again. Who cares about rain?

MarauderCyclone
05-10-2015, 08:08 PM
I dont blame a lot of you for wanting to preserve your marauder but at the same time my view on it is who are you preserving it for? The younger generations wont know cars like we did, they wont care about them as we did. They indoctrinate these kids that fossil fuel burning automobiles are evil. they dont have the level of respect for cars like we do amd those before us did. They are satisfied with a rattle canned pile of crap with stickers all over the back glass. They are part of the alternative energy generation. They will put more importance in electric cars and what fuctions it can do for their lazy selves . Ie parking assist, braking assist, driving assist.

Certain cars will always hold a certain place, mainly the ones from the muscle car era. Cars like the marauder, impala SS, etc will just be footnotes. Drive them, enjoy them, life is too short to worry about rain drops. The GNX is the posterchild....how many of the "fortunate 547" actually enjoyed one of the baddest cars ever built. Its fun to watch an auction and see they go for absurd money but if you truly love cars its just another car that didnt serve much purpose other than a 1:1 scale diecast.

I'm glad you enjoy your MM...Mine is being kept up for my retirement in the next 12-13 years. I'm perfectly OK with others doing whatever they want with theirs and wouldn't begin to tell you not to do something. I'll hopefully profit from that someday , if not I'll enjoy it as if it was the Red Barchetta in the old Rush song if nothing else.

I agree to a point about the Gen X'er's then again by attending plenty of car shows , I see a next generation of car fans as well as collectors coming along.

I don't see Fossil Fuel being replaced as long as it's plentiful or affordable. That seems to swing with the political climate and world events more than anything.

I agree the GNX is one badass machine but a poster child for forgotten its not. A well cared for GNX or even a GN still commands a nice price tag , at least in my area anyway.

I stopped being a GM fan in many moons ago , but a well kept GNX or GN would make my ears perk up like a German Shepard , if the price was right? I wouldn't pay near what the retail or collector car market boasts however.

The Gen X'er's will have to grow up at some point. I'm confident that most responsible adults have to eventually. I agree these kids like the "do it all for me" technology that's coming around , but part of me makes me not want to get involved with that myself. I for one am not eager about turning control of my car over to something mechanical or some form of artificial intelligence. These cars that boast all this 'Connectivity Technology" also scare the crap out of me. You will never be able to sell me on the idea that all these gadgets do ot create a more distracted driver problem , regardless of what the makers say. I remember the days of changing the channels on a radio leading to accidents..so is more really better in all honesty?

Lastly regarding all this "Smart Technology and Connectivity Technology"...what's it going to cost to update , replace or repair when it breaks , or is this yet another extension of the disposable society and throw away and buy a new one thing that is going on?

What happens if your stuff is broke and it's costs to repair exceeds the value of the car and your broke , the credit is shot cuz of the constant keeping up with the Jones's thing taking place? Is the plan for another follow on generation of people in some degree of economic ruin?

joe mosely
05-12-2015, 10:57 PM
I don't think I put a whole tank of gas through my Merc last year. It got to spend the winter in the new heated shop and its still there now. I still haven't had a chance to test out the new tune Mo sent me last fall!

I broke my 55 Chevy right after winter broke and its blocking the Marauder in right now. In a week or so (waiting on parts) the Chevy should be back in action and I can get it out of the way so the Marauder can get out to stretch its legs.

Ambitious1
05-13-2015, 06:29 AM
I also have a Crown Vic as a winter car. Helps.

camelgrundle
05-13-2015, 06:36 AM
I also have a Crown Vic as a winter car. Helps.

Clifton park? Your are close. Did I see you driving one day and your passenger window would not come down?

Guittard22
05-13-2015, 06:45 PM
I've put maybe 500 miles on it in the last year.

That's way more than my 38 miles all of last year :- I need to do a car show asap - and put trilogy 005 in only been waiting 3 years lol

JBeezy
05-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Well I'm finally back on the road and I've been in it for 2 days straight. Went on a spirit drive today, about 60 miles round trip. Windows down and music up. I have to say, today was a good day