PDA

View Full Version : Don't know next step help please...

LG88
05-17-2015, 10:22 PM
I have my marauder currently with 37k miles, and I'm very happy with it, however I want another play car. I'm undecided about a 96 impala ss or a 2015 challenger. Here's my dilemma

I always wanted a 96 impala ss, I think they are a hell of a car and a classic for sure. My budget on a pristine condition impala would be no more than 13k **financed**, impala is so close to the marauder in the sense that is a big sedan with good amount of power but not enough to give you the wow factor.

Now the challenger, my wife says to get a scatpack but I really wouldn't mind waiting for what I really want....the HELLCAT. I love the looks of the scatpack but I'm dumbfounded by the hellcat I think is a car that will be a true collector car in the future as opposed to the scatpack. I don't have 60k laying around to just go buy a hellcat but I know with time after a year or two I can get a better deal on one at market value not some outrageous dealer price that is marked up 5kto 10k. I don't want to settle for just any challenger.

I don't know what route to go. Buy a impala that I can much easily afford now or wait on a hellcat. I love both cars if I could I would have them all :)

Suggestions please...

RF Overlord
05-18-2015, 05:30 AM
I love the Challenger and if I HAD to buy a new car tomorrow, that's what I'd get, but I say go for the Impala: it's last of an era.

Gryphonzus
05-18-2015, 07:41 AM
I am not a fan of dodge products (as far as purchasing one) I have owned a couple and was not impressed with the quality. I have also had too many friends that have owned them and had too many problems. I like the challenger too but like you said it is expensive. If you really want one bad enough to wait until you can find a good deal then you should wait. You may also have to wait to find a good used Impala SS. good luck with your decision!

Badass_forever
05-18-2015, 07:56 AM
i've also had this problem.... long story short... you just can't beat a new car. its so nice to get into a new car and have your phone sync, quite, good on fuel and so nice to be in. I think hellcats will still hold there valve in a year or too. still be 50k+

Gerry24
05-18-2015, 11:46 AM
I would go 96 BIG BODY SITTIN ON CHROME...

cheaneyt
05-18-2015, 11:54 AM

Sent while thinking of new mods for my 96 TC, using Tapatalk.

stevengerard
05-18-2015, 12:35 PM
Next car is never an easy decision for most folks. My .02 — you already have a larger 4-door pseudo muscle car why get another. I would love a SS as well, saw two out this weekend, but its a variation of what you already have. I'd love a Hellcat too but as already mentioned that price isn't going to be reasonable any time soon. A new scatpak will feel so much better than an 04 MM or 96 SS you will be amazed. No one needs 200 hp let alone 707hp but I think you would get as much enjoyment out of a very powerful Challenger as out of the most powerful version. I drove an RT and was amazed at what a new muscle car offers. I'd go test drive a few cars first - Mustang, Camaro, and a Challenger. Then jump in an 96 SS and see what you think. For the price I'd say the SS is your best deal but a newer car is a newer car. What about a used Viper?

rauder88
05-18-2015, 12:48 PM
http://lincoln.craigslist.org/cto/5029240422.html
Pseudo SS, with an LT4. I have personally seen this car, it's quick and done right.

88CuttyClassic
05-18-2015, 12:53 PM
you already have the better of the two cars. 96 impala SS is basically redundancy of your marauder. if you want something fun to play with thats different i would honestly look for a 92-93 GMC typhoon. v6 turbo awd in an SUV. bad to bone. you will probably be the only one no matter where you take it too.

I would also advise against financing a 1996. if you can't buy a car that old in cash you can't afford it. thats not a put down, thats just sound financial advice.

if you are dead set on an Impala SS though, my best friend is looking to sell his REALLY nice 1996 Impala SS, the rare green color. i believe it has around 88K and very light mods (CAI, borla exhaust, 3:73s) . Took him 2 years to find the right green one and had it shipped from denver to pittsburgh. He's very particular and all his cars are really nice. i think he's looking to get right around your budget.

I think your wife has the right idea on the scat pack. The Hell cat is awesome but unless you really plan on using 707 at the track, the scat pack is plenty of HP for the street. 707 is sure to get you into trouble. What about an SRT8 charger/300 thats a few years old? you get plenty of Power and the same concept of a big 4 door sedan and about 15-18 years newer than the impala. the optispark and the disgusting light gray interior is why i got a marauder over the impala and Im so glad I did.

JBeezy
05-18-2015, 01:24 PM
I'd say go with the Dodge whichever route you take. Owned a 1996 Impala SS. After owning a MM there is no real comparison. You may as well own a Caprice Classic with the LT1 in it. That's all you are getting, besides suspension, wheels, and seats. Few outside cosmetics.

RubberCtyRauder
05-18-2015, 01:59 PM
My friend here near Akron, Oh has a 1 owner 96 SS,the Green metallic one with 2900 miles...yes, under 3000 miles, unmolested, parked in a heated garage on carpet. He wants let's say over $20k for it..but less than $23k.

Davesvt2000
05-18-2015, 02:22 PM
The hellcat, as cool as it is, will never be a collector car, it will be a desireabel car. Dodge is cranking out as many as they can sell, and at one point a few months ago, had to stop taking orders from dealers so they could catch up on demand.

Kind of like at Carlisle a year or two ago, when a Shelby GT 500 owner was talking about how rare his car was, and I said "real rare for a car Ford's made about 40,000 of over the past few years. " He just didnt know what to say.

But hey, it's your money, your choice.

Darigaaz
05-18-2015, 02:47 PM
I would get the SS. It's a great car and has the potential for a lot of raw power.

Then again...I'm a bit biased.

Gerry24
05-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Good advise.... go take a look at a SS get the feel for it... Look Darigaaz, he has the best of both worlds. If you dig the MM than you dig the SS, vise versa. cheap to maintain, parts you can get... I dont know how the SS parts are looking now but you know that the MM is getting harder and harder for certain parts to locate.

LG88
05-18-2015, 04:40 PM
Lots of good feedback guys, definelty some solid points.

My dad had a 2007 charger superbee and oh man can that thing could run! And I believe it had about 415hp., these new mopar hemi's are pushing about 485 now. I do hear mixed answers about mopar how reliable they are, but when it comes to size,power, and looks nothing can beat the challenger. Camaros & mustangs are too small for my liking

Impala can draw a crowd, I have driven one and I will agree the marauder is a much better of the two ( to be expected one is an 03 and the other 96) but as far as the automotive history and raw power potential it makes a strong argument against the challenger.

88CuttyClassic
05-18-2015, 09:56 PM
No love for the typhoon? Im tellin u man..drive one. Nothing like a 15lb boost launch and not blowing the tires off,,just hooking like crazy.

LIGHTNIN1
05-19-2015, 05:59 AM
For the money go for the SS. No reason to overpay for a HELLCAT. Since you are looking for a car the size of the HELLCAT you might do what I did and look at the 2000-2002 Pontiac Transam and Chevy Camaro bodys. There are a lot of good low mileage ones, a lot cheaper and a lot of fun.

svtrichie
05-19-2015, 09:23 AM
96 impala ss is a nice car, we have had two 96's along with a 94. Compares to the marauder quite a bit. But is you have to finance an almost 20 yr old car, I wouldn't do it.

1Marauder
05-20-2015, 09:21 PM
Challenger FOR THE WIN!!!