PDA

View Full Version : Everybody's DBP's just got a little rarer

jlangmaid
05-27-2015, 08:47 PM
My son's 03 was totaled tonight. He's OK, other than being shook up. had his belt on and hands at 9 and 3, cell phone put away. Air bag burns, seat belt bruises on shoulder and lap, and a big contusion on his left shin, probably from going under the brake pedal. X-rays came back negative and no concussion. Baseball Sectionals this weekend and they're ranked #4 in state-he's worried he won't be able to play, I'm just thankful he's home in one piece. Coming up a ramp onto the highway headed for baseball practice and apparently hydroplaned on the water running down the ramp. Went across three lanes of a major highway and hit the center median, spun twice on contact. Fortunately wasn't going very fast and amazingly was never hit crossing, most likely due to a multiple hydroplane accident a mile down the highway limiting traffic. Definitely had someone sitting on his shoulder today. We'd just finished getting it put back together and had her running like a champ. Just glad he's ok. God bless body on frame vehicles. Roof buckled and rear window blew out, figure the frames shot, know the front suspension is gone. He switched car off after it came to a stop-don't know if the inertia switch triggered or not, might have just been running on the fuel in the line.
Before pics at http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88918
After pics attached.
This year just keeps getting more interesting, as the old Chinese curse goes...

CoreyM75
05-27-2015, 08:52 PM
That's quite a hit. Glad that your son is ok, after a hit like that he will be sore. There's plenty of other cars out there.

JBeezy
05-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Ouch!!! Glad he's ok.

chief455
05-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Car saved his life, quite possibly.
Sounds like he will be fine, that is all that is important.

DEFYANT
05-27-2015, 11:22 PM
Car did its job. Now get another one!

drac
05-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Heard about this thru the grapevine. I hope your son's recovery is swift. Very sorry to hear about your DX. I dont own a DX MM, But anytime I see a wrecked DX panther, It always hits me in the feels. :(

MMBLUE
05-28-2015, 02:09 AM
Glad he's okay. That's the important thing.

Bad_S55
05-28-2015, 03:38 AM
Oh man, I'm sorry guys. But thank God your boy's alright. A car can be replaced, your kid can't.

justbob
05-28-2015, 03:42 AM
Quite a hit! Glad to hear he'll be okay!

Builder Of Badassery

martyo
05-28-2015, 04:18 AM
Considering your son is in decent shape, I wouldn't worry about the car!

Ms. Denmark
05-28-2015, 05:10 AM
So sorry to hear. It's tough to lose the car but it did it's job...your son is unharmed. :cool:

Zack
05-28-2015, 05:43 AM
Very sorry to hear this.
Ironically I was dropping parts off at the body shop to fix my Blue yesterday.

sflrainmaker01
05-28-2015, 06:19 AM
Glad your son is ok! I hope he can play at the Baseball game! Sorry about the car, but like everyone else said, it did it's job. You can always find another MM!

MOTOWN
05-28-2015, 06:27 AM
Glad no one was hurt , that car did a great job of protecting the cargo!

Comin' in Hot
05-28-2015, 06:32 AM
It's always a shame when stuff like this happens, but your son is safe, and there are other marauders out there.

fastblackmerc
05-28-2015, 06:33 AM
Glad your son made it thru relatively unscratched. You can always get another MM.

RubberCtyRauder
05-28-2015, 10:23 AM
Glad he is ok , the car did it's job with protection. Sorry for the loss of car

Gerry24
05-28-2015, 10:24 AM
I wish him a speedy recovery, and back on the diamond in no time!

L.Mark
05-28-2015, 01:43 PM
Car and Guardian Angel did their jobs and saved the precious cargo!!! Glad he's not hurt, as for the car, replaceable, son's are not...

car totaled -10,000
car bought for parts +500
son there to help with new car infinity win, win

8UWITH6
05-28-2015, 05:25 PM
WOW. That car took a very awkward and hard hit. Very impressed with how it protected your Son. That is why I drive one, and my wife drives one. Great cars. That blue saved his life. Glad everyone is okay.

Darigaaz
05-28-2015, 08:58 PM
Thank goodness he made it out with bumps and bruises.

cpe6
05-28-2015, 11:03 PM
I have a black 03 that was returned to stock with a fresh motor and trans rebuild, if anyone's interested the car has under 25k on it.

jlangmaid
06-01-2015, 03:29 PM
The car definitely saved his life, no doubt about it. The LEO on site talked to me about his crown vic saving his life, although he needed 7 months of rehab. He didn't sound very enthusiastic about his new Charger.

I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words, as well as the advice over the last year while we were putting the car together.

He's past the soreness and aced his finals for straight A's-gotta envy the young! Coach wouldn't let him play despite the dr's okay, because of the accident, and they got bounced the first game of sectionals. Next year I guess, although I was just happy (and amazed) to see him warming up before the game, with the aid of a lot of ibuprofin and tylenol. He was a little tentative about driving again, but I got him right back in the swing, albeit in my f350.

The appraiser looked at it today, we'll see how that goes. I'm collecting comparables as well as documenting the aftermarket items. His company (independent contractor hired by insurance company) had it listed as a Mercedes Marauder...he was having trouble finding information about it for some reason.

RubberCtyRauder
06-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Do you have the limited production certificate? That may help as well

jlangmaid
06-01-2015, 07:26 PM
Yes I do, and hadn't thought about it.
Thanks!

CoreyM75
06-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Have you thought about buying the car back from the insurance company? There's a DBP with a bad motor for sale in Grand Rapids Michigan on Craigslist that would help make one car out of the two.

jlangmaid
06-03-2015, 11:59 AM
I told the adjuster to shoot me a price on the buy back-I've got a friend building an Auburn kit car and thought he might be able to use the drivetrain. I'll have to show my son the craigslist ad-not too far from us here in Indiana. Don't know if he'd be spooked driving something that looks pretty much identical though.

Thanks for the heads up.

gpfarrell
06-09-2015, 05:24 AM
Spooked? He should be spooked to drive anything less!

Bradley G
06-09-2015, 06:58 AM
Glad to know the MM took a licken' and kept your son from serious injuries or worse!
Good luck to him on a speedy and complete recovery!