PDA

View Full Version : Seat cushion replacement

mrjones
06-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Have any of you other dainty things ever replaced your seat foam? My driver's side is starting to break down, especially since I've been driving it daily for the past several months. I'm wondering where you bought the foam. Do we have a parts guy on here any more?

RubberCtyRauder
06-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Best bet is an auto upholstery shop..they should be able to remove the cover and redo the seat foam. Seat foam, long discontinued as well as the leather covers. I believe a few members have had this done before so hopefully they can provide additional info

lifespeed
06-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Have any of you other dainty things ever replaced your seat foam? My driver's side is starting to break down, especially since I've been driving it daily for the past several months. I'm wondering where you bought the foam. Do we have a parts guy on here any more?

Yes, I did it, read about it here (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91601). Everything wears out eventually, and that applies to the seats too. I still have some extra stiffer springs if you want them, paid dearly but they are an improvement.

fastblackmerc
06-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Any good upholstery shop can remove the seat covers and old foam, apply new foam (even build it up in places), then reinstall the covers.

03Merc
06-02-2015, 08:30 AM
I had both seats repaired in the front. All My guy did was put some support material under the foam to keep it from breaking and falling into the frame. Both seats feel brand new now and He only charged $40 per seat. All I need is to clean and condition the seats to get them softer.

lifespeed
06-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Any good upholstery shop can remove the seat covers and old foam, apply new foam (even build it up in places), then reinstall the covers.

As the seat covers age this becomes less likely to succeed. They can tear during the stress of a re-foaming operation. I doubt many of the cars that have actually been driven still have driver's seat leather in good enough condition to attempt this.