PDA

View Full Version : Ford Flex opinions

Sully008
06-03-2015, 12:49 PM
Hello all,

Does anyone on here own/has owned a Ford Flex? My wife and I are looking to replace her 2008 Fusion with a '13 or '14. Our only real wants are the Ecoboost and AWD, and any color other than white or the bright red that it comes in.

Researching on the 'net they've had mostly positive reviews, minus the gas mileage.

Our family will be growing by another little one (wife expecting in July) and we'll need the extra space.

sam
06-03-2015, 01:17 PM
Do it. You wont regret it. Make sure its the ECOBOOST

Mr. Man
06-03-2015, 03:16 PM
I thought Ford was axing the Flex. We looked at a loaded one a while back. It was nice but I thought it was over-priced for what you got. JMO

Sully008
06-03-2015, 06:54 PM
I will be buying used so someone else will be taking the hit on depreciation. The Flex totally reminds me of the '77 Colony Park station wagon I grew up in. And I swore up and down that I'd never buy a minivan when we started a family.

a_d_a_m
06-03-2015, 09:23 PM
If memory serves correctly, Jolly Roger has a Flex and likes it.

RocketCouch
06-04-2015, 12:19 AM
I've got a 2013 non-Ecoboost 2WD and I love it. Of course I'd love to get better than 20 mpg but what vehicle seats 7 and isn't a minivan? I think the gas mileage is to be expected. Had I gotten an Ecoboost I'm sure I would have modified it and voided the factory warranty which I'm sure wouldn't have worked out well. If I were to do it all over again I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Sully008
06-04-2015, 07:02 AM
I've got a 2013 non-Ecoboost 2WD and I love it. Of course I'd love to get better than 20 mpg but what vehicle seats 7 and isn't a minivan? I think the gas mileage is to be expected. Had I gotten an Ecoboost I'm sure I would have modified it and voided the factory warranty which I'm sure wouldn't have worked out well. If I were to do it all over again I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Lol, well there are tunes out there for the Ecoboost... you haven't had any major issues or complaints about it? I always liked the car, but I remember a commercial where it was called the "cool mom car", which had turned me off on it for awhile. Although my wife will be the primary driver of the Flex.

Thanks for the insight, all. The dealership is actively looking for a used one for me, so we'll see how it turns out.

2,4shofast
06-04-2015, 10:16 AM
I have a 2011 Flex, Titanium with Ecoboost... I cannot say enough about it, I enjoy driving it more than the Marauder at this point. If you are going to do it I would go with the ECO and not look at anything else, it makes all the difference.:beer:

RocketCouch
06-04-2015, 03:49 PM
If you're on the fence between Ecoboost and non-Ecoboost drive the Ecoboost. It rips! I wish we could have afforded them new but $55k was too much for our blood and the gas mileage is worse (would have been MUCH worse with my heavy foot) I got the titanium appearance package with the 20" wheels, black top on white pearl and it looks pretty good. Tinted the windows and plastidipped the chrome black so it looks MUCH MUCH better and not like a mommy mobile...

BLACKMARAUDER04
06-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Look for a Lincoln MKT also.
Used Lincolns can be had for the same as Ford's.
That's how I purchased my MKS w/ Ecoboost over the Taurus SHO.

RoyLPita
06-04-2015, 06:46 PM
If you find one that you might buy, PM me the VIN for an OASIS report.

Sully008
06-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I had a chance to drive an ecoboost Flex a few years ago (2012, I think) and was impressed by it's power and comfort. My wife was more adamant about having the EB than I was, lol.

Hadn't considered the MKT, I will look into it.

gpfarrell
06-09-2015, 05:28 AM
Look for a Lincoln MKT also.
Used Lincolns can be had for the same as Ford's.
That's how I purchased my MKS w/ Ecoboost over the Taurus SHO.

Ditto, and my Navigator L as well!

Jolly Roger
06-09-2015, 09:59 AM
2010 SEL w/ EcoBoost an AWD here and we love it.
My Flex E.T.'s the same bone stock as my MM does modded.
Flex weighs in at about 400 lbs. more.
I've got the 7 passenger version.
Second row seating very spacious and third row can seat two 6 footers comfortably.
Very pracitical and we love the handling and comfort.
Love smoking the uninformed that thinks It's just a station wagon lol. (Ford classifies it as a crossover).
21 mpg highway w/ 6 passengers at 70 mph.
12 mpg city w/ my foot. (read a$$ kick ability) lol.
Win ;):):P Win.

Sully008
06-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Thanks for weighing in, Jolly Roger. I can't wait for the dealership to find us our Flex. I grew up and learned to drive in a 1977 Mercury Colony Park station wagon. It had a 460 w/a 4bbl carb. The Flex just brings me full circle as I always loved that car as a kid. I see it as the modern day station wagon too. I don't care how practical minivans are, lol. I'm never buying one.

2,4shofast
06-09-2015, 12:07 PM
The Ecoboost's have to be experienced that is for sure. I lined up with my wife her in the Flex and I was in my Marauder, got the light on her and she flew past me at around 30 and I couldn't ever catch back up. It is the ultimate sleeper. We have the Titanium with the alcantara two tone interior and all the options. It makes the interior of the Marauder feel like a civic. Here is ours.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/shofast/Echo/photo2_zpsfb49d2c8.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/shofast/media/Echo/photo2_zpsfb49d2c8.jpg.html)

Sully008
06-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Nice looking Flex, I like the 2 tone with the black top. We're hoping for either a black or dark grey exterior. I'm looking at getting a tune for it as well. It'll have a ways to go before it'll beat my Marauder, though, lol.

2,4shofast
06-09-2015, 02:22 PM
. I'm looking at getting a tune for it as well. It'll have a ways to go before it'll beat my Marauder, though, lol.

Probably true but I bet you can get the flex to go faster for much cheaper haha!:beer: Good luck on the hunt!

Sully008
07-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Just to update this thread, my wife and I found the Flex we were looking for. It's a brand new (only has 125km on the ODO) 2014 Tuxedo Black Flex Limited. AWD, Ecoboost and just about all the electronic doodads that come with it.

It just came in to a local dealership a couple of weeks ago and I've been watching it since it showed up on their website. They dropped the price on it so we took it for a test drive on Tuesday. We instantly fell in love with it, and I'm signing the papers tomorrow.

We're going to be sad to see the '08 Fusion go. It's been a very reliable car for us, but we need the space now that a second little one is due any day now. Thank you everyone for your insight and experiences. Here's a pic of one that looks exactly like it (I don't have any pics of it yet).

http://edge.vinsolutions.com/images/live/DealerImages/136821000/136821646/0.jpg

2,4shofast
07-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Great looking Flex, you wont be disappointed!:beer:

Sully008
07-23-2015, 11:03 AM
Great looking Flex, you wont be disappointed!:beer:

Thank you! The Ecoboost is deceptively fast, lol. It doesn't take much to get up to the speed limit, and it certainly doesn't feel like you're going that fast until you look at the speedo.

2,4shofast
07-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Thank you! The Ecoboost is deceptively fast, lol. It doesn't take much to get up to the speed limit, and it certainly doesn't feel like you're going that fast until you look at the speedo.

Yeah I use cruise pretty much anytime Im driving! The Ecoboost is defiantly fun at stop lights :beer: Enjoy!

Bruce Wayne
07-24-2015, 05:49 AM
Flex are cool, I have heard good things about them