PDA

View Full Version : Sell Foxes and get a Cobra or GT500?

sflrainmaker01
06-26-2015, 07:59 AM
So, both my Father and now my Wife are saying I got too many cars, lol!:P :rolleyes: They say that since I'm getting older I don't need the stress of having to constantly tinker with these two Fox Body Mustang's I have. The 86 GT vert has been totally gone over mechanically with new everything. Still a bit fussy with the computer and all the mods I have done to it. I guess it's time for a Mass Air Conversion (I already have the stuff). The 93 Yellow Feature vert has been to the shop a few times to correct problems I have already had corrected (new clutch being replaced under warranty as well as a bum starter also being replaced under warranty). Just seems like it is hard to get the enjoyment out of these two rides lately. :mad2:
So, I said I would consider selling them only for an 03 or 04 Cobra vert :burnout:or a later model GT500 vert :burnout:resulting in a car payment, but one less car to have to mess around with.

What do ya'll think?

Nightcrawler
06-26-2015, 08:28 AM
Would the car be staying stock?

sflrainmaker01
06-26-2015, 08:52 AM
Would the car be staying stock?

Yeah, pretty much. I might get talked into a bolt on here or there. It seems like most on the market all have some sort of mods done to them already. I know both of the aforementioned rides have a lot more power than my foxes do being supercharged. Although, my 86 is pretty stout (probably ~ 280+ rwhp is my guess).

ctrlraven
06-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Should throw a CTS V into the mix of choices as well, around the same ballpark price of a GT500 or cheaper.

sflrainmaker01
06-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Should throw a CTS V into the mix of choices as well, around the same ballpark price of a GT500 or cheaper.

My blood pretty much runs blue, lol. I would like to stay with a Mustang of some sort so I can still catch the local Mustang club events, etc. This won't be a daily driver, but it'll still get thrown in the rotation. ;)

rauder88
06-26-2015, 12:31 PM
I've always wanted a termi...
It would be a tough choice for me between the 2.
Basically would come down to the mods already done on the cars in question I guess.

jsignorelli
06-26-2015, 12:46 PM
What do you mean you have too many Fox bodies?

My '89 LX-5.0 is stroked to 347 and has a Novi 2000 supercharger. It is used mainly at the track. (825 HP)
My '93 GT is stroked to 331 and has a Vortech V-7 blower. It is both show and drag car, and driven on nice (dry) days. (750 HP)
I just sold my 89 LX Hatch so I could make room for the Eddie Bauer Explorer I picked up today.
There is no way the '70 Boss 302, 69 Shelby GT-500, or the '73 Mach 1 are ever leaving my corral.
The FFR Cobra kit car is just another that gets built for fun, sold, and then replaced with another kit to build.

JBeezy
06-26-2015, 01:27 PM

My '89 LX-5.0 is stroked to 347 and has a Novi 2000 supercharger. It is used mainly at the track. (825 HP)
My '93 GT is stroked to 331 and has a Vortech V-7 blower. It is both show and drag car, and driven on nice (dry) days. (750 HP)
I just sold my 89 LX Hatch so I could make room for the Eddie Bauer Explorer I picked up today.
There is no way the '70 Boss 302, 69 Shelby GT-500, or the '73 Mach 1 are ever leaving my corral.
The FFR Cobra kit car is just another that gets built for fun, sold, and then replaced with another kit to build.
You have too many toys. [emoji106]

sflrainmaker01
06-26-2015, 01:29 PM

J, you have quite the stable! I have the 86 GT, 93 Feature vert, 04 Marauder, 93 Chevy 1500 plus my wife's car, daughter's car and son's car to deal with. Luckily, most of the cars are fine. The 86 is pretty much done and the feature car was to be the tinker toy. But, lately, it seems every time I have to replace something, I have to re-replace it! Bad parts from the parts store etc. It's becoming a real bummer! :mad2: Since I have owned the Marauder, I have wanted a supercharged car, so this might be my chance to get a 04 Mysti-Chrome Cobra convertible! :burnout: I could probably pick up another Fox some day while the wife isn't paying attention, lol. :eek::beer:

Ourobos
06-26-2015, 01:58 PM
I've had 150 fox bodies.. I did the same last year, bought my first 03 Cobra... Did a few mods, made 455/468.. Drove it a total of 500 miles in one year.. Sold it cause I don't need garage jewelery.. That's reserved for the Marauder once I get my latest Bronco up and running

jsignorelli
06-26-2015, 03:37 PM
I actually did reduce my stable since I "retired" two years ago. The 88 Silver GT-Hatch, the 89 LX convertible, and the 87 T-Bird Turbo coupe were sold so I could have some of my sanity return to almost normal.

and I still have the '04 Silver Birch, which like the classic cars, will never leave the stable.

fastblackmerc
06-26-2015, 06:32 PM
You can never have too many toys.......m

Working on cars keeps you young.

slickster
06-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Saleen..........

jsignorelli
06-26-2015, 07:48 PM
I tell my wife that with a hobby like this, who could afford a girlfriend! She has believed me for 46 years. It doesn't hurt that she is also into the hobby. She drives around in a 2010 Fusion Sport in Sangria Red. And yes... I modified it!

Ourobos
06-26-2015, 08:19 PM
That's the key, keep the wife in a nice ride she enjoys, and you can normally have the stable as full as your wallet can handle.

sflrainmaker01
06-27-2015, 09:15 AM
I've had 150 fox bodies.. I did the same last year, bought my first 03 Cobra... Did a few mods, made 455/468.. Drove it a total of 500 miles in one year.. Sold it cause I don't need garage jewelery.. That's reserved for the Marauder once I get my latest Bronco up and running

How'd you like the 03 Cobra compared to the foxes you had? I am assuming it would be a lot more refined and powerful than even a mildly modded fox.

Ourobos
06-27-2015, 09:29 AM
Well it wasn't like a gokart with the V8 like most the foxes are, definitely more of a luxurious ride.. If it didn't have 56k on it and was more of a beater I would have kept it.. Hated to rack miles up on it..

I decided that I'll just buy a newer 5.0 (2011-2015) in the next few years, maybe put a turbo on it, and keep it as a garage queen.

Nightcrawler
06-27-2015, 10:20 AM
You could get a 10th anniversary or Mystichrome if rarity is a factor. I'm a Cobra fan myself.

justbob
06-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Maybe just start wrenching?
http://www.stangtv.com/features/car-features/ultra-fox-jason-halls-unbelievable-gt500-swapped-fox-body/

Builder Of Badassery

babbage
06-27-2015, 12:40 PM
I'd get a 2014 Black on Black convertable - 6 speed. always loved these.
I see a young woman *driving* (not babying) this thing around once in a while. Nice car

http://www.musclecarsworld.com/gallery/2014-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-convertible-black-on-black/2014-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-convertible-black-on-black-14.jpg

Badass_forever
06-27-2015, 01:23 PM
you want a gt500, 04/03 cobras even tho I LOVE them, are just to old. I have a 88gt and a 99gt/cobra clone. they both just feel so old. my friend has a 2010? boss 302 and i LOVE that car.

Also, i would not mass air your car, you will still need a tune anyway. you should just have it tuned with the speed density and be done with it. I had SD, then i did the mass air conversion, then i got an AEM, now im going coil on plug speed density with a MAP.

Car is going to run amazing. im pumped.

sflrainmaker01
06-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Tomorrow is our monthly club meeting at Ponies in Paradise! So, I'll be hitting up some of the GT500 owners for a drive/ride-a-long and post up what I think.
The bummer is most people in the club have 05 and up cars. There are a couple of Foxes that I know of other than my cars.

jsignorelli
06-27-2015, 03:51 PM
My wife, Joanne< always wanted a yellow car. On her 50th birthday, I gave her a 1973 Mustang Mach 1, In yellow and black.
At the BD party, her "gift" was a die cast car of this Mustang. She said that she wanted the real one!
I opened the trunk of the model and handed her the keys to the car in the driveway.
I made points that day.

I asked her to marry me when we were in college all those many years ago. Her engagement ring was in a box of Cracker Jacks, that I resealed after putting the ring inside. She said yes!

sflrainmaker01
06-29-2015, 06:25 AM
Nice story J. So, I was all set to go to the club meeting yesterday and the yellow car (parked in front the garage blocking the Marauder) wouldn't start! :mad2: Really? After I drove it all day the day before! :bs: So, I ended up staying home jacking up the car to find out what the issue was with the BRAND NEW starter and solenoid. By the time I got it running and off the jack stands, the meeting was long over. :shake: So, I went in the pool instead and figured I'll try it again on Saturday when the club meets again for the July 4th Parade. :flag:

Davesvt2000
06-29-2015, 06:33 AM
my friend has a 2012/13 boss 302 and i LOVE that car.

Fixed it for ya

Turbov6Bryan
06-30-2015, 08:06 PM
I really like my 2011 5.0 Mustang it's fun and I enjoy my 88 Mustang Coupe.

Id sell both to have a 67 fastback or 68 fastback even if I had to work on it everyday. It's nice not having to wrench on the new one all the time, but there's so many new ones at the car shows .... It just seems to get lost in the sea of new ones

If I could afford a older one with the new coyote in it, with ac, upgraded suspension and trans, that would be my ultimate mustang.

Looks of the old and creature comforts of the new

sflrainmaker01
12-22-2015, 06:52 PM
FINALLY, I found a 2014 GT500 with 6k miles at a local dealership as I was planning a trip to Miami to try a couple over there (a 2010 and a 2012, both verts). It's pretty pricey, but, I needed to drive one. Holy crap! That baby moves! :burnout: That was the baddest car I have ever driven! I didn't beat on it, because I was a little intimidated. So, I drove it on a nice long test drive with the top down. For a car with 662 hp, it sure is tame when you are just driving. But watch out when the pedal goes down in the first three gears! :burnout:

It seems to have way more power than most would need, but enough to have some fun. For me, I certainly wouldn't have to worry about the mod bug if I owned that car!

So, now, I have to decide..... Keep Marauder and Shelby in garage, use truck for any bad weather driving days and sell the foxes (I guess the foxes should be easy to replace even a few years down the road if I feel the urge).

Or, just not worry about the Shelby and do an Eaton swap on the Marauder and keep on fooling with the foxes???? Hmmmmmmmmmm:rolleyes:

slickster
12-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Wonder how much a gt350 will drop in a year or two

PHHHHTT
12-22-2015, 09:50 PM
As an owner of a '14 GT500, it will more than surprise most first time drivers', even those who've had high horsepower rides. And you will get attention, even people will pull up behind you and then take photos of the car with their cell phones.

But if you get one, let me suggest that you replace the factory Goodyears with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. The factory tires let go once and got me sideways while doing 70 in third gear while accelerating, passing a truck with a trailer. Just knew that my time was up. But was able to steer out it, never hit the brakes and needed to get home to change my shorts.

These are some the most fun cars out there when you are expecting to cause havoc. One the most frightening when it does and you were not expecting it.

1Marauder
12-22-2015, 11:21 PM
I say DO IT and never look back!

sflrainmaker01
12-23-2015, 08:21 AM
As an owner of a '14 GT500, it will more than surprise most first time drivers', even those who've had high horsepower rides. And you will get attention, even people will pull up behind you and then take photos of the car with their cell phones.

But if you get one, let me suggest that you replace the factory Goodyears with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. The factory tires let go once and got me sideways while doing 70 in third gear while accelerating, passing a truck with a trailer. Just knew that my time was up. But was able to steer out it, never hit the brakes and needed to get home to change my shorts.

These are some the most fun cars out there when you are expecting to cause havoc. One the most frightening when it does and you were not expecting it.

I got that feeling while driving it, lol. So, I took it a little easy on the test drive. It did seem to loose traction pretty easy in anything less than 4th gear!:burnout: In fact, I didn't get a chance to start out in first (too much traffic), but once rolling on the interstate there were a couple opportunities to try second and third. The exhaust & supercharger whine were like a symphony (who needs a stereo, lol).:rock: And, add the fact the top was down (nice sunny 80 degrees) it was sensory overload! :banana2:

ChiTownMaraud3r
12-23-2015, 10:06 AM
GT350 or go home.

svtrichie
12-23-2015, 10:14 AM
I really love my 92 fox very and will never sell it but driving a 05 and newer chassis is so much better. Depending on you budget pick up a 07 or newer gt500 or 11 and newer 5.0. He'll just go and drive a few

Vortech347
12-23-2015, 11:47 AM
The foxes won't be easier to come by. If yours are clean and paid for keep them. In another 5-10 years finding ones that aren't beat to **** will be damn near impossible without paying a very high premium.

I'll ALWAYS have my fox. Pretty sure I'll always have my terminator too.

Gerry24
12-24-2015, 05:08 PM
I say DO IT and never look back!

What ^^^^^^^^^^ said. :beer:

sflrainmaker01
12-25-2015, 11:12 PM
I broke out the 86 GT vert yesterday and took it for a drive after having driven the 14 GT500 vert. The interesting thing was that the 86 was speedy and responsive, sounded great and impressed. However, the one thing I noticed was that when driving the 14 gt500, I could press the gas and could never feel like the pedal was to the floor. I mean, the car had soooooo much power that it almost felt like I could never use it all; AND, meanwhile, being so satisfied by what power I did utilize (even though never "flooring it). I'm sure things would even out over the months or years of owning a car like the GT500, but damn.... The HP and torque were amazing. I don't thing I could ever get that response out of my foxes and have a return like that.

I'll see how the deal progesses at the dealership on Sunday. I'll be comparing just doing an Eaton swap to the Marauder and selling the foxes as well as any other combination that would make sense. But, right now, seeing how much power that gt500 makes vs value and the above aformentioned options (financially) all added up will decide I guess.....

And then, it seems that the 17 GT500 might be turbo....?

PHHHHTT
12-26-2015, 12:59 AM
An aside to the OP:

Check out the TeamShelby website and read into their 2013-2014 GT500 forum. Like MM.net, very informed people discussing matters about these cars. But I would like to paste a small passage from one member discussing how the 13-14 GT500's may be viewed a little ways' into the future:

"I originally got my 2014 because I thought it might be the last of the GT-500's and it did look like that when Ford announced the GT-350 in it's place. I was recently at Shelby American in Las Vegas and spent a little time with Gary Patterson (S.A. VP) and asked about the future of the GT-500. He told me we'll see another GT-500 but it will be based on the Coyote 5.0 motor as it will be easier to reach big numbers with it than the new 5.2 with it's flat plane cam and higher compression. Plus he said with my 2014 I had the last of the big motored GT-500's with it's 5.8."

The 13-14 are kind of a throw-back with their larger V8's and live rear axles. Sorta like our beloved Marauders. It takes a certain view point to appreciate and keep something that has known imperfections. You don't really care if something more refined has come along. You still love it for what it is, warts and all.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

sflrainmaker01
12-26-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the website! I'll check it out.

When I read about the next generation GT500 being based on the 5.0 and turbo, I felt even stronger about buying one of the 2007-2014 models. If you ask me, the GT500 should be about big displacement with lots of hp and torque (like it's heritage). If they're going to make the motor smaller for the Shelbys, then, they should consider the GT350 engine option to include the 5.0 with the turbo (like it's heritage) and keep GT500 as the big boy (so to speak).

sflrainmaker01
12-30-2015, 09:56 PM
Well, it's been discussed with the wife. We'd rather see a Marauder with a Eaton or Trilogy than spend the extra $$ for a GT500 and keep the foxes. So, keep your eyes posted on a build thread in 2016 (unless I get lucky and find a nice Trilogy in the meantime)! :D