PDA

View Full Version : Singled out because I'm too large

Bigdogjim
05-06-2004, 09:50 AM
No not me:) But my car, the Marauder :confused:

The local Bridge Commission want to ban about 60 types of vehicles. :banned:

Here is a link to story..http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-05062004-295518.html

The bridge is only 15' wide :(

What was odd was the Marauder was listed first then the crown vic?

How come this car only receives bad press :censor:

What are they afarid of? I'm going to do a :burnout: on the bridge

Oh well I don't frequent that bridge anyway :D

Slowpoke
05-06-2004, 09:53 AM
well, we will have to scratch the idea of a PA MV3 - just think of all the local tax revenue they lost, which, incidently, would probably more than cover the work needed to reinforce the bridge to make it Marauder-friendly.

Mikeenh
05-06-2004, 10:01 AM
I've crossed that bridge in my Marauder. They tell you to fold in your mirrors before crossing because it's so tight. Another thing that gets tight going across is your butt :eek:
I've been in some tight spots, but this old iron bridge takes the cake.

Paul T. Casey
05-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Jim, I don't think they'll even let you walk across that bridge anymore! :lol:

MENINBLK
05-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Did anyone think of putting traffic lights on either side of the bridge and then alternating traffic ?

Do I have to think of everything ? :lol:

djcoak
05-06-2004, 10:36 AM
It's not that the bridge is small it's that people are idiots. I swear I hate this part of the country. If you see a large vehicle on the bridge and you have doubts then don't travel across it till they make it over! But heaven forbid anyone in jersey not go 180 MPH where ever you go. Once again they need to form a commision, and then a law, because most people have no common sense.

Ok my venting is over......... :argue:

01 Interceptor
05-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Did anyone think of putting traffic lights on either side of the bridge and then alternating traffic ?

Great idea! Or...if they won't then they need to get with the times and either add a new bridge parallel to this one, or demo this bridge and make a larger, more supportive bridge. This is a similar problem here in my area. We have a bridge that is really small and narrow, and made of wood! It's slippery when wet I tell ya!

troopcar
05-06-2004, 11:17 AM

Pete,
Or they could do it with the honor system, like the Mile Square Road Bridge in Yonkers. Cars go over this skinny little bridge one at a time, and there is a stop sign on both sides. First, one car goes from one direction, then one from the other direction, and so forth.

On second thought, scrap that idea. I once witnessed a head-on crash there in my rearview mirror. Seems both cars thought it was their turn to go. Guilty party was the dope behind me on line who didn't let the other side take its turn.

A few months ago I saw a Marauder cross that bridge. Was it you, Pete?

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/u/franky.gif

troopcar

Redster
05-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Driving on the South Island in New Zealand there are one lane bridges everywhere. I drove a small RV around for a couple of weeks with no problem. After driving on the left (wrong) side of the road all day, I felt at home on the one lane bridge. There is no left or right side.

Bigdogjim
05-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Well nice replys:)

But my point was they actually listed the Marauder by name:mad:

How many people reading this peice in the paper wonder what the hell is a "marauder" :confused:

Like a low volumne seller crosses the bridge in large numbers???

OK Poke so we hold MV III here next year and get a 100+ Marauders to cross the bridge in a long line................:lol:

Patrick
05-06-2004, 04:29 PM

:bows: :bows: :bows:

Bigdogjim
05-06-2004, 06:40 PM

Nice idea but, their is way too much traffic for this bridge. That is part of the problem the area is so built up.

Besides it was a HUMMER that cause the problem in the first place when one of the Bridge Commissioner got hit by one when trying to cross! :mad2:

Patrick
05-06-2004, 08:07 PM
New Bridge?????? Maybe????????

DarthVader
05-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Here in the moronic northeast, it is environmentalists and historians who win first, then taxpayers who don't want to pass a levy to build a new bridge further down the river that win next. Drivers lose.

We live in "blue" country, which means we are not constrained by logic or commonsense. If we lived in "red" country this bridge would've been gone long ago. (for definitions of "blue" and "red" see electoral map circa Nov. 2000)

And for the $100,000 grand prize, does anyone know what happened at Washington Crossing? (the approximate area of our above-mentioned bridge)

RCSignals
05-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Nice idea but, their is way too much traffic for this bridge. That is part of the problem the area is so built up.

Besides it was a HUMMER that cause the problem in the first place when one of the Bridge Commissioner got hit by one when trying to cross! :mad2:
ah, so that's it. It really didn't matter until a Bridge Commisioner was personally impacted (no pun intended)

Bigdogjim
05-07-2004, 12:10 AM
ah, so that's it. It really didn't matter until a Bridge Commisioner was personally impacted (no pun intended)

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head!!!!!!