PDA

View Full Version : Talked with sales people @ Ford today, some about the demise of the MM

woaface
05-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Well, there was one sales guy that seemed to know a thing or two. He discussed with me that Ford is considering the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis and using the Ford 500 for police cars.

"With the technology they have, they can build anything they want and have it out tomorrow, but they build what they want, and what they want to move. There's a lot of politics involved in it"

Or something along the lines of that. He also said they've been trying to ustang for years, and that one day the men at the top will have their way...

That was a very interesting statement to hear.

This was all being said around a bunch of Crown Vics...and the Marauder is by no means awesome in style...it's a beautiful car don't get me wrong. But MAN those Crown Vics have one UGLY front end! Such a great car should be given a little more panache...

Fourth Horseman
05-06-2004, 01:43 PM
But MAN those Crown Vics have one UGLY front end! Such a great car should be given a little more panache...

I love the front end on the Crown Vics. To each his or her own, I guess. :D

woaface
05-06-2004, 01:44 PM
I guess they're acceptable...but, a little to plain/humdrum for me...

I like the Marauder lights especially, much more.

ADE 1000
05-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Or something along the lines of that. He also said they've been trying to ustang for years, and that one day the men at the top will have their way...

What?? :confused:

Fourth Horseman
05-06-2004, 01:48 PM
You know what has a beautiful front end is the Towncar. Very nice.

Dr Caleb
05-06-2004, 01:56 PM

I agree. I like the aero/wedge shaped chrome. Very anti-jaywalker :)

stevengerard
05-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Or something along the lines of that. He also said they've been trying to ustang for years, and that one day the men at the top will have their way......

What? ustang, youstang we all stang?

and the Marauder is by no means awesome in style...it's

what

woaface
05-06-2004, 03:34 PM
What?? :confused:
Mustang...sorry, they've been trying to kill it for a while so I hear...

Yes, very! I like the one piece, I think that'd be way cool on a Marauder.

what
I just think, while it is a VERY beautiful car, it's just your basic: side lamps, head lights, and grill...it's not extremely destinctive, just basic here you go shapes.

NOT that I have a problem with this, and god forbid it end up looking like a Caddy or Benz. Just a something I've always thought...

And don't worry, my sights are, by all means, still set on a Marauder!!!

Logan
05-06-2004, 06:12 PM
The panther platform retired in favor of a new platform for 06/07 last I hear.

Bigdogjim
05-06-2004, 06:34 PM
First off James there is no demise of the Marauder.

Ford/L&M stated from day one a planned 2 year run:)

The car ran it course in Automotive history.

Enjoy it while it lasts:):):)

woaface
05-06-2004, 06:49 PM
That sounds good, as long as it stays true to it's roots...

I heard that too, and because they'll put the 3valve motor in it.

jgc61sr2002
05-06-2004, 07:20 PM

Will that new platform be a unibody? No perimiter frame and the wrong wheel drive?

woaface
05-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Will that new platform be a unibody? No perimiter frame and the wrong wheel drive?
Eee...::Shudder::

RCSignals
05-06-2004, 08:59 PM
If Ford wants to completely lose the Police and taxi market, that's exactly what they will do. make the ford 500 the replacement.

The salesman who said that doesn't have a clue. probably doesn't even realise the 500 is more like the Taurus than the CV/GM

Well, there was one sales guy that seemed to know a thing or two. He discussed with me that Ford is considering the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis and using the Ford 500 for police cars.

"With the technology they have, they can build anything they want and have it out tomorrow, but they build what they want, and what they want to move. There's a lot of politics involved in it"

That was a very interesting statement to hear.

This was all being said around a bunch of Crown Vics...and the Marauder is by no means awesome in style...it's a beautiful car don't get me wrong. But MAN those Crown Vics have one UGLY front end! Such a great car should be given a little more panache...

sovapid
05-06-2004, 09:12 PM
But MAN those Crown Vics have one UGLY front end! Such a great car should be given a little more panache...

ugly, who you callin ugly?

j/k

If Ford wants to completely lose the Police and taxi market, that's exactly what they will do. make the ford 500 the replacement.

what would they lose it to? the dodge intrepid and chevy impala?

hitchhiker
05-06-2004, 09:14 PM

Exactly! This is the only true statement regarding the panther that I have heard. I hope the new 2006/7 panthers are not FWD; that would ruin it.

RCSignals
05-06-2004, 09:18 PM
what would they lose it to? the dodge intrepid and chevy impala?
Dodge Magnum, Chevrolet Tahoe, the yet to be released Dodge RWD Police sedan, and yes, maybe even the Wimpala.

From everything I've read though, Ford is redesigning the Panther body and some of the running gear for 2006/07, not killing it for something else.

There is even talk that the upcoming Lincoln Continental may be on the Panther platform.

woaface
05-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Well, for a kid who dragged himself from a love of expensive German, Italian and Japanese cars, it's still somewhat hard for me to accept the styling of the Ford version Panther:). I love the way the Mercury's look though, the side markers and front lamps and grill being made how they're made make ALL the difference for me.

woaface
05-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Oh, and the major point here was, when the guy was talking about the politics of building cars, and what the big men up top think about it, it really reminded me of BillyG saying "Why should I have loyalty to any car manufacturer when they don't have any loyalty to me"

I forgot to mention that...

RCSignals
05-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Exactly! This is the only true statement regarding the panther that I have heard. I hope the new 2006/7 panthers are not FWD; that would ruin it.
The only place anywhere I've seen discussion of an "all new" platform for 2006/7 is on BON by the Body-on-frame RWD hating few.