PDA

View Full Version : Freestyle. tech help needed

Bruce Wayne
08-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Ouik question for the techs out there. Can I drive my wife's 2005 Ford Freestyle after installing a new valve body (mechatronic unit), in the transmission, I have about a 10 mile drive to the Ford dealer, for a TCM reflash, but I don't want to cause any damage to the new trans. module. any help appreciated.

fastblackmerc
08-03-2015, 04:40 AM
Ouik question for the techs out there. Can I drive my wife's 2005 Ford Freestyle after installing a new valve body (mechatronic unit), in the transmission, I have about a 10 mile drive to the Ford dealer, for a TCM reflash, but I don't want to cause any damage to the new trans. module. any help appreciated.

I can't think of any reason you couldn't.

Bruce Wayne
08-03-2015, 05:28 AM
thanks for the reply, this is a CVT transmission, and I don't want that stinking wrench light coming on the dash, which puts the vehicle in limp mode.I just don't want to risk damaging anything, after this expensive repair.

RF Overlord
08-03-2015, 06:30 AM
I'm not an expert on CVT transmissions, although I know how they work, but I can't see any reason you'd damage the module. I'd be more afraid of damaging something internal due to incorrect pressure or something. Might want to call the dealer first.

lji372
08-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Freestyle, trans issue.....nah

Dump, that thing man.

alec2538
08-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Be very careful. You COULD damage the new valve body.

From the Ford service manual:

"If a new transaxle or mechatronic main control valve body assembly is installed, the TCM will need to be reflashed to the latest level calibration available. If the TCM is not reflashed, the wrench light on the dash may illuminate and internal transaxle damage may occur."

Do you have AAA? If so, just use a free tow. That will avoid ANY possible issue.