PDA

View Full Version : newer cars, headlight shuts off with turn signal

88CuttyClassic
08-06-2015, 01:59 PM
WHY? I've been seeing it on jeeps and audis, i'm sure its probably other cars too. Why would you want to shut the headlight off in the direction you are turning? I wish there was MORE light when making a turn. The corning lights in my MM leave a bit to be desired in that dept compared to other cars i've owned that were equipped like so.

Anthony84
08-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Its a new thing on vehicles with daytime running lights. The DRL on that side will shut off while the signal is on. Doesn't do it with regular headlamps on.

Mebot
08-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Seen new Chargers do it too. I guess it so oncoming traffic can know you're turning (especially left turns)

Can't stop the signal...

FastMerc
08-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Its due to the fact that the lights are to dam close together just look at them. The LED system is to bright that's why!

jwibbity
08-07-2015, 05:17 AM
Its due to the fact that the lights are to dam close together just look at them. The LED system is to bright that's why!

+1 the close proximity plus the fact that DRL's are alot brighter than they used to be.
It looks stupid to me but actually makes you focus more on the turn signal versus the headlight.

babbage
08-07-2015, 05:21 AM
I keep thinking that one of the headlamps is inoperable. Poor design IMHO....

ledzilla
08-07-2015, 07:44 AM
When I first saw this, I thought that the car was broken. I remember thinking, "Damn, that's a brand new Chrysler, and the lights are already busted?" Then I saw another do the same thing and then the DRL turned back on once the turn signal was cancelled. Yeah, it's so that you can see the turn signal without the DRL interfering. Seems like the turn signal and DRL are along the same run of LEDs in a lot setups these days.

Taemian
08-09-2015, 10:16 AM
The term is "signal masking". The DRLs were washing out the signal lights in sunshine, so the manufacturers adopted the DRL turning off when the signal is on.