PDA

View Full Version : where some of the elusive MMX shafts are going

BODYMAN
09-08-2015, 07:54 PM
I found this interesting http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?p=11718089 seems like a lot of these D/S are being snatched up by the Impala guys.

lifespeed
09-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Weird. What are the chances they use the same length?

I am tired of driveshaft boom at speed, I see a carbon fiber shaft in my future.

chief455
09-08-2015, 08:39 PM
I found this interesting http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?p=11718089 seems like a lot of these D/S are being snatched up by the Impala guys.
I found that site and another Impala thread when searching for mine.

Either way, it's not easy to read the printed letters, and information about colored stripes is not accurate.

FordNut
09-09-2015, 02:59 AM
You can get one from Mark Williams. I had a custom 4" MMX made for mine.

BODYMAN
09-10-2015, 07:07 AM

How much did that run you Brian?

BODYMAN
09-10-2015, 07:09 AM
I found that site and another Impala thread when searching for mine.

Either way, it's not easy to read the printed letters, and information about colored stripes is not accurate.

What colors aren't correct? Ive had 2 & both had MMC printed on shaft & correct color codes?

chief455
09-10-2015, 09:08 AM
What colors aren't correct? Ive had 2 & both had MMC printed on shaft & correct color codes?

I have the printed letter on my two also, but both have very different stripe colors, and amount of stripes. I don't remember exactly, my 'what to look for' notes are tucked away.
I know one, a specific color stripe said not to be there is on there, along with like 2 other colors.
the stripes are all so faded, green, blue, pink - it was impossible to be certain what color they were originaly.
I just looked very hard for the MMC/MMX and POLICE to be there.

chief455
09-10-2015, 09:09 AM

more than the $75 junkyard piecs ;)

71cyclone
09-10-2015, 09:21 AM
I have the printed letter on my two also, but both have very different stripe colors, and amount of stripes. I don't remember exactly, my 'what to look for' notes are tucked away.
I know one, a specific color stripe said not to be there is on there, along with like 2 other colors.
the stripes are all so faded, green, blue, pink - it was impossible to be certain what color they were originaly.
Alcoa should be stamped in small letters by mmx:beer:

BODYMAN
09-10-2015, 10:06 AM

Ya on the color I would have to agree most the time there faded. Both ones I had, had correct color codes but like you mentioned very very faint. I just look for MMC stamp:beer:

martyo
09-10-2015, 10:13 AM
It does not take much to have a drive shaft shop shorten a drive shaft. We have done it countless times.

BODYMAN
09-10-2015, 10:17 AM
It does not take much to have a drive shaft shop shorten a drive shaft. We have done it countless times.

I thought the mmx shafts cant be cut? due to material there made from?

martyo
09-10-2015, 11:06 AM
I thought the mmx shafts cant be cut? due to material there made from?

I will let my drive shaft shop know that. LOL

chief455
09-10-2015, 02:18 PM
I will let my drive shaft shop know that. LOL
Smart azz.

I've had dozens of steel shafts shortened, and made from scratch at my local shop.
It's not rocket science, what they do.
I've never had work done to an aluminum shaft, but did find an article showing one of these MMC/MMX units cut and welded.

I like the low cost factor on the Alcoa factory MMC/MMX shafts - as a direct bolt in, otherwise, I'd have had one made.
FWIW....

Turbov6Bryan
09-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Dumb question

That shaft y'all are talking about, is it really that good of a shaft?

Is it something I should keep an eye out for at my bone yard?

Thanks

chief455
09-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Dumb question

That shaft y'all are talking about, is it really that good of a shaft?

Is it something I should keep an eye out for at my bone yard?

Thanks
info starts half way down this page:
http://www.pontiacperformance.net/TechArticles/CV_Driveshaft_Swap.html#METALM ATRIX

Turbov6Bryan
09-10-2015, 05:19 PM
info starts half way down this page:
http://www.pontiacperformance.net/TechArticles/CV_Driveshaft_Swap.html#METALM ATRIX

Funny is I read that article after I posted

Thanks buddy!

FordNut
09-10-2015, 05:49 PM

more than the $75 junkyard piecs ;)

Yeah... As I recall it was close to $1000. It has a 4R100 front yoke, standard rear yoke with large u-joints, standard type yoke for the rear end. Couldn't find a flange style with the larger u-joints. I was really planning to switch to a 9" rear end but never got around to it.