PDA

View Full Version : Remembering 9-11-2001 (NEVER FORGET)

Bluerauder
09-10-2015, 05:36 PM
As everyone knows by now, tomorrow is the 14th Anniversary of the events of 11 September 2001. :flag: Fly Those Flags in Remembrance of all those Lost :flag: My memories of that day are still very strong. Nine (9) years ago, I captured my recollections of the day on these forums on the 5th Anniversary. See below ....

11 September 2006

This coming Monday is the 5th Anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center (WTC) complex, the Pentagon, and on UA Flight #93 over Shanksville, PA. A total of 2,973 persons were killed that day. Another 24 remain missing.

:flag: I will be flying my flag proudly “In Remembrance” of the victims and their families. Hope that you will join me in doing the same. Never forget. I certainly won’t. :flag:

On the morning of 11 September 2001, I was checking out of the Thayer Hotel at the US Military Academy at West Point, NY following a conference. As I was passing through the main gate in a rental car toward Highland Falls and Newark International Airport, I heard the first radio announcement of a small plane striking one of the towers at the World Trade Center. Initially, this struck me as very odd. I thought to myself that a small plane would have to work hard to hit such an obvious building. Maybe the pilot had a medical emergency and lost control of the aircraft. I would find out later that these "small" planes were actually large passenger jets and not some little Cessnas or Beechcraft planes.

About 15 minutes later, the radio announcer revealed that the second tower had been hit by another plane. The sky was clear and it was a beautiful day, no way this was accidental. I knew immediately that this was a deliberate attack and that terrorists were responsible. I continued on my way south along the Palisades Parkway and then the Garden State Parkway. Several emergency responders with blue lights flashing and rolling pretty fast passed me along the way. As I got closer to the Tappan Zee Bridge, I saw signs that said “New York City was Closed”. No traffic other than emergency vehicles were permitted.

I continued on my way toward Newark airport. Just as I crossed into New Jersey on the Garden State Parkway, the radio announcer said that a 3rd plane had hit the Pentagon (my old office at 3C529 was obliterated in that instant). We were at war with someone. I needed to stop and collect my thoughts – what to do now? A rest stop with gas station was only about a mile ahead. I pulled in and stopped and just sat a few minutes. Get a coke and calm down some – what the heck is happening??? Is the airport even open now?? What about the rental car?? Try to call – fat chance – everything is busy. While debating with myself whether I should continue on to the airport, a northbound car pulled into the reststop. A guy staggered out of his car and sat down on the curb. I rushed over to see if I could assist. He just said that one of the World Trade Center towers just collapsed. I jumped back in my rental car and turned on the radio. I was stunned and in disbelief. The past hour had been surreal.

In that single minute, my decision was clear. I am driving back to Virginia. Screw the rental car, I need to get home. I turned around and headed back the way I came. Back to I-87, then I-287 to I-78 to I-83 and south. All day I listened to reports on the radio. Plane crashing in Pennsylvania. Just words, no pictures, no TV, no CNN news reports. Lots of speculation and the images forming in my head were difficult to accept. The road rolled on. Tried to call home several times – no luck at all. Easton, Harrisburg, and York, PA, Baltimore, MD, then Washington, DC and out to Dulles Airport. Had to drop off the rental and pick up my car.

As I approached the National Rental car gate, I noticed that it was closed. In fact, traffic at Dulles was nearly non-existent. Very unusual – a virtual ghost town. I stop at the gate and a guy came over and opened it. I told him that I was there to turn in the car. No charge for the car. No shuttles back to the parking lot. One of the National guys offered to drop me off in his personal car as he was departing. Got in my T-Bird and clicked on the radio. More talk and speculation. Four planes total. US airspace shut down completely.

The guy at the parking lot toll booth waved me through. No charge today. Home was still about 45 minutes away. More radio reports. Both WTC towers gone. Pentagon still burning. Many people dead and dying. Still can’t call home.

I pulled into my driveway at exactly 5 PM that night. My trip had been a full 8 hours from start to finish. My wife ran out to the car and just threw her arms around me. For a minute or maybe more we just stood there. Finally, she said “I know you too well …. I knew that you’d be driving back today”. If I said that I didn’t break down and cry briefly at that moment, I’d be lying. The rush of the past 8 hours completely enveloped me in that moment. In the car for so long I had not been able to share my building grief at all of the events of the day. Finally being at home with everyone safe and together, I lost control. There I said it.

I went into the house and clicked on the TV to see the video and images that most everyone else had be seeing all day. Several birthday presents sat on the dining room table. There would be no party tonight. It took more than a week to even bring myself to open any of them. It just didn't seem appropriate.

Over time, I would find out that 22 of the victims at the Pentagon were from Prince William County, VA were among the nearly 3,000 who died that day. One was an usher at our church. One of our VFD paramedics was in New York City on vacation. He died in the WTC collapse after he rushed from his nearby hotel to offer his help. Several other friends and acquaintences had close calls and near misses or just happened to be somewhere else when their offices were destroyed. I am still overwhelmed by the events of that day. Putting them down on paper like this kinda helps. Thanks for listening.

FastMerc
09-10-2015, 06:11 PM
I totally agree with you! And still can remember where I was and what I was doing. I pulled off the highway ran into Walmart and found a TV and could not believe my eyes :eek::( So as I leave for MV I will remember!

:flag::flag::flag::flag:

HammerDown
09-10-2015, 07:03 PM
When IT happened, we were checking out of our hotel in Wildwood, NJ after a mini-vaca with friends. Was watching it live on the TV as we were packing up to go home.

Tomorrow we are heading to the Jersey shore for the same mini vaca with same friends. We will certainly remember the anniversary and prayers for all as we travel to NJ.....

1Marauder
09-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Thank you for sharing.

WhatsUpDOHC
09-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Yes, will never forget.

gdsqdcr
09-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Never forget!

I will always remember the courage of those that ran towards those events to help others.

Ms. Denmark
09-11-2015, 02:38 AM
Never forget!

I will always remember the courage of those that ran towards those events to help others.
That is one of the powerful memories I have as well. I was very proud of my fellow New Yorkers on that day...and the long weeks and months that followed. I will never forget what I witnessed and experienced. I will never forget what was lost...
My prayers go out to those whose loved ones never came home that evening.

NavySeabee
09-11-2015, 07:51 AM
I will never forget! Glad to still have my Dad around. he worked as the Executive Chef in tower one at the Windows of the World Restaurant on the 106th floor and the banquette facility on the 107th floor. He was laid off a couple of months before 9/11. Lost about 3 dozen close friends.

Will never forget!

Crown Vicman
09-11-2015, 08:05 AM
I remember it just like it was yesterday. I was in school watching it on tv like is this for real.

Bluerauder
09-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Today's bright Blue cloudless sky is eerily reminiscent of that awful day some 14 years ago. An absolutely beautiful day with terrible tragedies that played out throughout the day.

2,4shofast
09-11-2015, 09:19 AM
It has changed every aspect of my day to day life, terrorism will not cease until we fight it the same way they do... enough said.:censor:

Guittard22
09-11-2015, 09:37 AM
It's hard to believe that this was 14 years ago -- I was working part time at a private school on the cape when they told everyone what happen - was not until that night I saw on the new the horrific videos . Prayers go out and thanks to all the servicemen and women .

Badger
09-11-2015, 10:08 AM
It's hard to believe it happened 14 years ago....and todays weather and sky are so similar.

MOTOWN
09-11-2015, 12:03 PM
This is a day no AMERICAN will ever forget.

Pat
09-11-2015, 12:34 PM
I heard on the radio today that a new documentary will be airing soon about the boats and their crews, public and private, small and large, that performed rescue and evacuation of persons on Manhattan Island when the towers fell. Not much publicity on this aspect of the people's response.

kernie
09-11-2015, 12:55 PM
This is a day no AMERICAN will ever forget.

I remember that day very well.

You don't have to be an American to feel that days pain. If memory serves about 130 Canadians died that day.

Thanks to the people who has kept this continent mostly safe since that day.

MOTOWN
09-11-2015, 01:03 PM
I remember that day very well.

You don't have to be an American to feel that days pain. If memory serves about 130 Canadians died that day.

Thanks to the people who has kept this continent mostly safe since that day.

Like i said no AMERICAN will ever forget that day! What is the point of you even responding :confused: to .my post , it was an attack on AMERICAN soil , so what ever!

RubberCtyRauder
09-11-2015, 01:57 PM
I was watching a show today before going to work about Firehouse 10 which sits pretty much at the bottom of the twin towers. They were first to respond and although a small firehouse, I think they said 12 on duty, they lost 6. Firehouse was still standing and still serves