PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone sell alot on Ebay?

jay87lx
09-11-2015, 09:00 PM
I have a bunch of cars and stuff I want to start parting out and want top sell some stuff on Ebay, smaller items like Clusters, OEM lights, stuff that isn't hard to ship. Any pointers in how to do this as easy as possible and what to beware of? How do I calculate shipping? Do I take the item to the UPS store and ask what the higher end shipping cost would be and use that as a flat rate shipping cost, then include that in the ad?? I've parted out several Mustangs but usually used forums and Craigslist with minimal shipping but the whole ebay thing is totally foreign

Should I set up a total different bank account and new paypal and keep it separate? Just a bunch of questions, any help would be appreciated

JBeezy
09-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Yes I've sold and bought hundreds of items there. I'd definitely do a seperate account. I would charge flat rate shipping for anything you can get in a flat rate box and etc... for larger items I'd get a shipping cost on. Consider fees when pricing as well

chief455
09-11-2015, 09:49 PM
I kept a spreadsheet when I sold parts for a GTO friend over a 2 year span..
It seemed smaller stuff, use USPS, have flat rate priority boxes ready to pack. Or you hand pack the item nice and tight to keep size down and no loose parts. Have some misc. cardboard and cartons ready. Ad the part value insurance fee to your posted ship cost.
Larger dimension / heavier stuff UPS or FEDEX - hard to know cost until item is package, and you know their zip code for a quote.
Ater a few parts, I'd just guestimate ship cost, it would average out when everythng was sold.
Bottom line - display with clear pictures of everything YOU would want to see of each item, describe it fully and under rate it's quality a little. Best to have them happy when they get it and leave you great feedback - the next buyers will trust and pay you more on items.
Package things after they are sold. If nobody buys it, you won't want to have packed it. Some guys ask for a pics or something you need to look at the part, last minute.
Damaged during shipping - you have to refund them some or all of the price to stay selling with good feedback.
Coments like "better than described, fast shipping, nice tight packaging!" is what you want to keep listing parts, and move up to cars, having buyers choose you over another seller with not as great feedback.
last - auctions take an average of over 12% from the final winning bid.
This includes listing fees, final value fees, paypal fees, and that was before they had a fee on shipping cost, which they do now.
We stopped selling on ebay due to this, and started waiting for forum, craigslist sales instead. Except for the rare, NOS, or really mint stuff you know will sell high. Deduct ~12% of the bid, add your time for taking pictures, the ad writing, question answering, and packing then going to ship stuff - it can be profitable and it can be painful to see stuff you think should get you $100, sells for $65, pay the fees, pay the shipping, spend an hour on running the auction - you get ~$40.
See what I mean - look up seller chief455, browse my feedback a page or so (recently I'm just buying parts - you'll see my seller feedback, and I commented what most items where) - it was not easy to maintain 100% positive, with picky buyers and fragile hard to ship items, subjetive parts, like trim, gauges etc - you think it's very nice, the buyer expected a new part. Of course the winning bidder will be across the country!

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying parting out cars on ebay is a ton of work, and much stuff won't sell after you clean it, take pictures, and pay to list it.
Adding safety features like a reserve or buy it now ad to the listing fee.
If I ever do it again, only high end or new parts will go to auction.
Used wiring harness, door panels, radios, knobs, switches, body parts, trim, wheels, used common engine parts etc. no way. That's for a forum part out ad than can take a year to sell off - but a least you don't waste as much time and lose on fees/shipping.
good luck!

Guittard22
09-12-2015, 04:28 AM
If you got some marauder parts oem put it on this site 1st a lot more responsible people on the site than eBay .save marauder parts from going to the crown Vic world lol

chief455
09-12-2015, 06:11 AM
If you got some marauder parts oem put it on this site 1st a lot more responsible people on the site than eBay .save marauder parts from going to the crown Vic world lol

+ this! heck, we should get a preview of the list regardless of what car - you never know ;)

jay87lx
09-12-2015, 07:54 AM
We have 2 MM's neither are getting parted out. Right now I have a bunch of '02 Monte SS parts, but I was thinking of putting smaller stuff like Inst cluster, Tailights, center console set up etc etc all on Ebay, But Now I am thinking to maybe stick with the forums. But the only issue I see with that is many forums require a minimum posts to start selling so I am not sure I want to join the Monte SS forum, become active to sell a few parts.
Thhen depending on how it goes start parting out many other cars we have