PDA

View Full Version : Agree Or Disagree?

SHERIFF
05-09-2004, 02:19 PM
From another forum............ Do you agree, or disagree?

quote: "They're depreciating like rocks.

A 2003 Marauder w/ 1000 miles has a Private Party value of $21k and change.

Of course anyone that is selling a used Marauder is going to want to recoupe their losses by asking for more... but IIRC a 96 Impala SS w/ less than 1k miles would sell for no less than $30k USD. There's no comparison."

Logan
05-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Yeah, that number isn't too far off the mark. All Panthers have horrible depreciation. Fact of life. Whoop dee doo.

Patrick
05-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Yeah, that number isn't too far off the mark. All Panthers have horrible depreciation. Fact of life. Whoop dee doo.

What he said!!!!!!!!!!!!

sailsmen
05-09-2004, 04:08 PM
What doe sit matter? It only matters if you bought the car to sell it.

If you bought the car to own it it does not matter.

woaface
05-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Yeah Logan, I've always noticed that...but I can never find out why?

Who can we blame:lol:

SergntMac
05-09-2004, 04:36 PM
What Logan said ^ there, and a bit more...

If I was into this MM thingy for money I would have bailed out a very, very long time ago. My first MM purchase ran the money numbers up over 40K, tax, title and license, back in May of '02. This "blue book" value means nothing.

Owning an MM means a lot more than just money to me, it's about bigger stuff. Stuff money cannot buy us.

Maybe this is different for other MM owners here, I've seen and heard a few requests for refunds on my friendship investment, but I'm not sweating this loss. Some take this lightly, most of us do not.

"Come to stay, or, stay away" works for me, screw the bucks, and the friendship cheapskates. Without any doubt, owning a Marauder is the most fun I have ever had in my life, and that says a lot.

There's no "once around" second chance here, you're in, or, you're out, it's final. Moreover, it's not about dealers, wrenches, mods, suprchargers, kits of any sort, or, ETs. It's about friends, and mutual owners brought together by one car, and the joy of owning that car, the last, great, American muscle car built by Detroit. It's more about our history, than what lies ahead...Think about this, eh?

I might trade a Marauder by VIN to move forward by means of another Marauder by VIN, but I'm not budging out or away from owning a Marauder by one inch. Moving up in the food chain is not stepping away, K?

The Mercury Marauder is my last new automobile in my life, period.

The rest of you suck eggs...

vegasmarauder
05-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Shelby Mustangs in the early 70's sold for dirt. In '74 we bought my dad a 66 for a "daily Driver" for $1000.00. Left it out on the street under the light for 2 years and gave it to my younger brother who promptly sold it for a Camero. No one wanted those "custom" mustangs back then. I bought my 68 GT-350 for 2K and didn't regret it because I liked it so much. The same parallels are for the MM. Limited production, an "identical" car that no two seem to be the same, and so on. I think they will go down a few years, but then rebound. Once the numbers thin out due to natual causes it will get better. As soon as I drive mine, or some one comes up in a parking lot to ask about it, I forget all about the depreciation because I have much more appreciation...

jgc61sr2002
05-09-2004, 04:53 PM
I like most am in for the long haul. The Marauder is a keeper so the book value means Zip, Nada, Nothing to me. :D

Silver_04
05-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Anyone know how much a '96 Impala sold for in '97? I'm willing to bet it wasn't 30k. Plus I'd be afraid to buy an Impala with less than 1000 miles on it. Probably spent a whole lot of time in the shop :)

Edit: Aww, who am I kidding. If I had enough money I'd love to add a B-body Impala SS to the stable. But, the initial comments made sound like they are from someone blinded by bowties.

dwasson
05-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Maybe soon I can afford a second one! It would be fun to see what would happen if I wasn't worried about breaking my ride to work.

SHERIFF
05-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Well, I will offer my opinion now...... I too agree with the remark somewhat.

But...... as well as I recall..... the same phenomenon took place with the Impala SS. Once they stopped making them, a very low mileage excellent condition SS was worth quite a bit more than one was in 1994, 1995 or 1996 while production was in full swing.

What is a low mileage excellent condition 2003 or 2004 Marauder going to be worth in the year 2009 or 2010? That's the $64,000 question. Will it follow the same trend the Impala SS did? Or will it be worth $5,000 like a 2003 or 2004 Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis will be in 2009 and 2010?

Who would have ever thought a 1967 SHELBY GT500 FASTBACK would sell for $280,000 35 years later? Or a 1969 DODGE CHARGER RT 2 DOOR HARDTOP for $81,000, a 1970 DODGE CHARGER RT HEMI COUPE for $170,100. A 1970 PLYMOUTH HEMI CUDA COUPE for $216,000. A 1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD 2 DOOR HARDTOP for $194,400. A 1970 FORD MUSTANG BOSS 429 FASTBACK for $126,900. (Barrett Jackson Auction, Scotsdale Arizona). What's the Marauder going to be worth in 35 years? I won't live long enough to see one of the last remaining excellent condition low mileage Marauders in a Barrett Jackson auction in 30 years. Some of you will. Interesting thought though, eh?

dwasson
05-09-2004, 05:08 PM
I think that Ford's (and even more Mercurys) tend to have lower resale than GMs. Chrysler is even worse. One advantage to this is that you can pick up a 2 year old Chrysler lease return for the wife for about half of new retail. :lol:

Patrick
05-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Anyone know how much a '96 Impala sold for in '97? I'm willing to bet it wasn't 30k. Plus I'd be afraid to buy an Impala with less than 1000 miles on it. Probably spent a whole lot of time in the shop :)

Edit: Aww, who am I kidding. If I had enough money I'd love to add a B-body Impala SS to the stable. But, the initial comments made sound like they are from someone blinded by bowties.

If I rember right base price was $23,500 or 24,500. I liked the looks but $$$ was a big issue.

Marauderman
05-09-2004, 05:11 PM
I like most am in for the long haul. The Marauder is a keeper so the book value means Zip, Nada, Nothing to me. :D
I'm with both John here and Sarge a few back^^^^^^^---it's here to stay--with me anyway----Tom

Silver_04
05-09-2004, 05:18 PM
If I rember right base price was $23,500 or 24,500. I liked the looks but $$$ was a big issue.

Was wondering what a used '96 Impala with 1k miles cost in '97. Anyone archive old Kelly Blue Books around here?

jstevens
05-09-2004, 05:38 PM
My 02 cents.
I could've had a Mustang but then my kids couldn't fit. This way I have a family car and a cobra powertrain. It doesn't get any better.
I've watched the Barret Auction too and can't believe how much they get for some of those cars.
And I can break torque. Show me a family sedan that can do that.

Bigdogjim
05-09-2004, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=SergntMac]
Owning an MM means a lot more than just money to me, it's about bigger stuff. Stuff money cannot buy us.

"Come to stay, or, stay away" works for me, screw the bucks, and the friendship cheapskates. Without any doubt, owning a Marauder is the most fun I have ever had in my life, and that says a lot.

There's no "once around" second chance here, you're in, or, you're out, it's final. Moreover, it's not about dealers, wrenches, mods, suprchargers, kits of any sort, or, ETs. It's about friends, and mutual owners brought together by one car, and the joy of owning that car, the last, great, American muscle car built by Detroit. It's more about our history, than what lies ahead...Think about this, eh?

Well said. I grew up so to speak in a L&M Dealership. My Father owned one. Spend 40+ years of his life selling L&M cars. I bought one because I had a '70. It has been a HUGE bonus the friends I have made off this car. My "other" friends think I am nuts traveling all over like I do to meet Marauder Owners. Best group of people I know.

PRICELESS nuff said! :banana2: :burnout:

MM03MOK
05-09-2004, 05:53 PM
It has been a HUGE bonus the friends I have made off this car. My "other" friends think I am nuts traveling all over like I do to meet Marauder Owners. Best group of people I know.

PRICELESS nuff said! :banana2: :burnout:
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_2_7.gif ^^^ What Marshall BigDog said!! ^^^ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_2_14.gif

Dan
05-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Well, I will offer my opinion now...... I too agree with the remark somewhat.

Sheriff?? Izzat you? The same Sheriff that used to post all the time on crownvic.net about two or three years ago?

Say it isn't so. :)

Best,

Dan

Patrick
05-09-2004, 06:47 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_2_7.gif ^^^ What Marshall BigDog said!! ^^^ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_2_14.gif

And I will second that!!!!!
:up:

woaface
05-09-2004, 07:37 PM
What Logan said ^ there, and a bit more...

If I was into this MM thingy for money I would have bailed out a very, very long time ago. My first MM purchase ran the money numbers up over 40K, tax, title and license, back in May of '02. This "blue book" value means nothing.

Maybe this is different for other MM owners here, I've seen and heard a few requests for refunds on my friendship investment, but I'm not sweating this loss. Some take this lightly, most of us do not.

I might trade a Marauder by VIN to move forward by means of another Marauder by VIN, but I'm not budging out or away from owning a Marauder by one inch. Moving up in the food chain is not stepping away, K?

The rest of you suck eggs...Well, from what I've seen on the website, some people talk, and some people put it into perspective.

Mac, you're great at helping me out in that arena once in a while...I'm 17 so I can only do it SOMEtimes for myself.

hitchhiker
05-09-2004, 07:52 PM
My 02 cents.
I could've had a Mustang but then my kids couldn't fit. This way I have a family car and a cobra powertrain. It doesn't get any better.
I've watched the Barret Auction too and can't believe how much they get for some of those cars.
And I can break torque. Show me a family sedan that can do that.

Next Year's Mustang GT R will be the one to buy! :beer:

Best Regards,

D.

MENINBLK
05-09-2004, 07:52 PM

Of course anyone that is selling a used Marauder is going to want to recoupe their losses by asking for more... but IIRC a 96 Impala SS w/ less than 1k miles would sell for no less than $30k USD. There's no comparison."

An 8 yr old 1996 Impala SS w/130k miles retails for about $12k or more depending on the condition of the vehicle.
Not bad for a car with an average mileage of 16k+ miles per year.

There are a lot less Marauders being built than Impala SSs, and in 8 years,
if yours is still around, I'm sure it will be worth MORE than the SS is.

hitchhiker
05-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Most people on the various automotive sites I visit seem
to disagree with Sherriff no matter what the subject.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RCSignals
05-09-2004, 10:35 PM

Lets put it this way. A 2003 Marauder with 1000 miles at 21K is going to sell fairly fast. It's a great price at that.

A '96 Impala with less than 1000 miles (why is the comparison for a Marauder with 100 amd an Impala with less than 1000?) at 30K is going to sit for a long long time.
In fact there was one by that description listed for sale here on MM.net quite some time back. As I recall it sold for quite a bit less than "30K plus".

You can search for it if you want.

But really, what's the point of it? My Marauder isn't for sale.

RCSignals
05-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Was wondering what a used '96 Impala with 1k miles cost in '97. Anyone archive old Kelly Blue Books around here?
I don't know the answer. But, back when people were screaming Marauder/Impala compaisons, some people claimed the Marauder was priced too high, compared to the price of a new Impala SS of the '90's. Someone did the math for current dollar and inflation, and discovered the Impala was actually priced about the same. So maybe it was even too high priced for the '90s economy......

Mad1
05-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Personally, I cringe at the thought of having to buy another car and not being able to get a "new" Marauder. On the other hand, I'd be tickled pink to find out that I could snap up two (or three) '03-'04 MMs for the price of my '03 300A when it was new. :)

If you're gonna be a collector, you can't just have one don'tcha know!

Jeremy
Mad1

A dyed-in-the-wool MM owner for life. P^)

MAD-3R
05-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Ohh, I don't know if it's all that good... The seats are really wide, and it can be a b_itch to park. I wish the shifter had been on the colum so I didn't have to move my hand away from the stering wheel. The shiny wheels can be hard on the eye's on those sunny mornings when the sun reflects off of them. I get pestered all the time with questions like "What is it?" and "who makes it?" Sometime I think it's more hassle then it's worth...

I'm looking at a Toyota Camery, or maybe a Honda Accord.

2003 MIB
05-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Ohh, I don't know if it's all that good... The seats are really wide, and it can be a b_itch to park. I wish the shifter had been on the colum so I didn't have to move my hand away from the stering wheel. The shiny wheels can be hard on the eye's on those sunny mornings when the sun reflects off of them. I get pestered all the time with questions like "What is it?" and "who makes it?" Sometime I think it's more hassle then it's worth...

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
You can't move to Texas now, Phil!!!!!- We'll have 'em stop you at the border.... ;)

Bluerauder
05-10-2004, 12:26 PM

Now someone has taken control of MAD-3R's computer. Shiny wheels?? Hard to park?? Column Shifter?? :argue:

Toyota Camry and Honda Accord :lol: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Billatpro
05-10-2004, 01:18 PM
I don't know the answer. But, back when people were screaming Marauder/Impala compaisons, some people claimed the Marauder was priced too high, compared to the price of a new Impala SS of the '90's. Someone did the math for current dollar and inflation, and discovered the Impala was actually priced about the same. So maybe it was even too high priced for the '90s economy......

I did that computation and dollar for dollar the MM is a better buy! as has been said already in this thread, lets make that compo in 2011!

And buy the way, my MM is no longer for sale, I have decided to sleep in the damn thing before I will sell it! were not back to work yet but it does not matter, we have decided to start our own business and should be up and running in the next 60 days.
Screwem all, I'll walk my own path!

MAD-3R
05-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Jokem' if they can't take a #@$%!!

SergntMac
05-10-2004, 01:44 PM
And buy the way, my MM is no longer for sale, I have decided to sleep in the damn thing before I will sell it! were not back to work yet but it does not matter, we have decided to start our own business and should be up and running in the next 60 days. Screwem all, I'll walk my own path!
Way to go, Bill, and our best wishes go with you!

merc406
05-10-2004, 02:03 PM

I second that, let us know when your up and running so we can become your first customer's, (you are making sex toys right?) if not whatever your sellin will be fine! :up:

jaywish
05-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Well as far as resale goes I think the relatively few people who even know a Marauder exists vs the far greater number of folks who are aware of an SS is going to tell the tale.

I hope I'm wrong about the future value but I did by the car to drive. I had to wait a bit and buy used but it was what I wanted. If only they offered it with quiet mufflers.

Resale value is of some importance to me, but if it was the only concern I would have bought a Cmaray or a Hunda or one of those other funny looking little cars from somewhere on other side of the world. I hear they use less gas and the insurance costs are less.

You have all been there. An aquantance with a nice new Vette who works in the trade, says 'Hey that's a pretty nice Marquis, looks good'. He never heard of a Marauder. In my PT group, nobody ever heard of a Marauder (except the suzuki).

If nobody knows about it it will most likely not draw the big bucks later on, but who knows. I just hope I.., no make that all of us, keep our cars nice enough that they will be the examples the few (2%'s) of the future take pride in.

Jay

Dan
05-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Did a lot of people know about the Hertz Mustang? I don't know which is why I am asking.

Dan

MYSTA KANG
05-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Let me put my opin in this

As I look on all the used car sales sites and read the ads the SS owners are putting on the internet I can see why the price has risen for the SS impala. For one I have seen many advertise the car with the LT1 corvette engine in it. It does not have the same engine! The second thing is some of the milage on them are very low and many are bogus miles since it is very easy to roll back milage on the caprice and Impala cars of those years. I have seen many ads that are clone impalas and they are trying to sell them like original SS cars. That makes me wonder why in the world could the prices be going for 18,000+ sometimes more than that depending on the area and the color.

Mercury really did a good job in preventing the MM form being cloned. That in itself should add more value to the resale of the car. Then you have the interior and wheels. The MM is stock 18 ankers and you have the option of two colors and not just old battleship grey. So that should add value also since dark interior does not wear like light interior and it gives us the choice of which one we want and not the company choose it for us. The MM can be debadged and the car still stands out from the rest and looks awesome. If you debadge a SS no one can tell the difference unless they look in the inside of the car and sometimes they still cant tell due to the surplus of aftermarket interior parts for the SS. Then the guages, the MM has all the guages a muscle car should have the SS dont. The SS mod for the dash cluster is the z28 cluster. I dont think many people would like the idea of finding out the entire dash had been ripped out just to have a oil guage and battery guage. With the MM the customer doesnt have to worry about that and the guages looks cool were they are.

I dont have anything against people who clone. I would just rather have the real thing and sleep good every night with a clear mind.

LNYTUNS
05-10-2004, 03:11 PM
I bought this car as a collector car. Now, to me, it has a value far greater than any monitary amount. I did not buy it to sell it but to keep it preserved as a small part of automotive history. And for the next couple of years I am going to enjoy driving it daily, when it is not raining, or snowing, or windy, or cloudy, or if there are birds flying by, or in a parking lot where it could breathed on wrong. After that..........who knows.........Iola car show maybe?

Even a well preserved Pinto is worth alot to someone.

Oh and the SS, well chevy sucks anyway.

joflewbyu2
05-10-2004, 03:31 PM
here in florida in the last 30 days five 03s have gone through manheim auction - 2 at $21,500, 1 at $21,800 & 2 at $22,000. milage was all in the low teens to single digit k miles. They are pulling stronger than book.

RCSignals
05-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Joe, that's a wholesale auction?

Billatpro
05-10-2004, 04:08 PM

Thanks Mac and Merc406 for the kind words of encouragment.

sex toys? I never thought of that! no just boring die cast collectibles (wholesale to dealers) race stuff, hot rod stuff and muscal cars and the like.

SHERIFF
05-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Most people on the various automotive sites I visit seem
to disagree with Sherriff no matter what the subject.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They don't like my user name!

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/843/mickey.gif

SHERIFF
05-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Sheriff?? Izzat you? The same Sheriff that used to post all the time on crownvic.net about two or three years ago?

Say it isn't so. :)

Best,

Dan

It isn't so.

There, I said it!

But, it be me. Yes.

jgc61sr2002
05-10-2004, 07:19 PM
I did that computation and dollar for dollar the MM is a better buy! as has been said already in this thread, lets make that compo in 2011!

And buy the way, my MM is no longer for sale, I have decided to sleep in the damn thing before I will sell it! were not back to work yet but it does not matter, we have decided to start our own business and should be up and running in the next 60 days.
Screwem all, I'll walk my own path!

Congrats on keeping your Marauder. Good luck and best wishes on your new endeavor. :up: