PDA

View Full Version : Check Charging System Message (My Taurus)

ctrlraven
12-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Since late August I've been having an issue with my Taurus that I just can't pin down as to what the exact cause is. At random times while the car is on and running a message of Check Charging System comes up. Took it to the dealer since it's under warranty and they said the battery was good and so was my alternator but my gauge cluster had two bulbs out they wanted $800+ to install a new cluster... yeah no thanks.

On/Run voltage is 13.8-14.0 depending on what accessories are running, when the check charging system msg comes up the voltage will drop to 12.2-12.4, the car still runs, doesn't act any different. The msg and low volts can stay this way for 2, 5, 8, 10, 20, 45, 60 mins. Sometimes it will act up, go back to being fine and then act up again. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold temps, smooth or bump road, all accessories on or off. I've never been able to reproduce the issue.

This past Wednesday I about had it with the car, I let the car idle for about 5 mins while I loaded some stuff in at work, within 10 mins of driving the volts dropped/msg came up and then stayed this for the next 50 mins I was driving. Got to where I needed to go for a service call, an hour later I left to head back to work. Same thing happened on the way back and then on my way home. By the time I got home the volts had creeped down from 12.2 to 11.5v.

Tested the battery voltage yesterday afternoon and it was at 12.18, threw it on the charger for a while as I wanted to test the cells which I did this morning.

Terminal volts after charging: 13.03
Cell 1: 0.52v
Cell 2: 2.70v
Cell 3: 4.91v
Cell 4: 7.14v
Cell 5: 9.21v
Cell 6: 11.42v

I know each cell is suppose to be 2.0 - 2.1, should I put the battery back on the charger for longer or possible battery issue? I had the battery on 12volt/10amp charge for almost 5 hrs and then let it sit for 14 hrs before testing the cells. Battery is a Motorcraft Tested Tough Max BXT-59 that was installed 04/2015.

Spectragod
12-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Did you test with a midtronics? What's the battery state of health? If your car is under warranty, why did the dealer not fix it? The cluster is a module, without looking at a service manual, I am going to speculate that part of the charging circuit is in the cluster.

Mr. Man
12-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Did you test with a midtronics? What's the battery state of health? If your car is under warranty, why did the dealer not fix it? The cluster is a module, without looking at a service manual, I am going to speculate that part of the charging circuit is in the cluster.
Wondering the same thing. Just as an after thought have you tried a different battery?

justbob
12-05-2015, 02:21 PM
If it wasn't under warranty you would be the proud owner of a new battery along with a $110 diagnostic fee.

Builder Of Badassery

ctrlraven
12-05-2015, 03:55 PM
No I just checked the voltage with my DMM. Not sure of the battery health, i have done a load test on it before it was good.

When I took it in to the dealer, they could not reproduce the charging system message, they said the battery was good and so was the alternator but the cluster had two bulbs out. The car has Ford basic care warranty so the alternator would be covered, diagnostic fee was $80. I replaced the belts and tensioner also.

I've read on the Taurus forums of people having problems with the Motorcraft battery and also low ohm readings on the gauge clusters were stuff stopped working but none with mine where everything works.

Turbov6Bryan
12-05-2015, 04:25 PM
I've had 3 ford trucks where the 5 volt excite wire connector wiggles enough to stop the alt from charging

Last time on my current truck, I checked the connecting pin and dielectric greased it. Almost bought a alternator 3 years ago, but it's still charging

Obviously the alt is not working sometimes, can you check that connector and its voltage when your light comes on....

HTH

Bluerauder
12-05-2015, 04:50 PM
The battery in my 2012 Taurus SHO is the same as in the Marauder ... A BXT 65-650. Check the OEM battery specs. Also looks like Cell #1 may be toast.

justbob
12-05-2015, 05:56 PM
No I just checked the voltage with my DMM. Not sure of the battery health, i have done a load test on it before it was good.

When I took it in to the dealer, they could not reproduce the charging system message, they said the battery was good and so was the alternator but the cluster had two bulbs out. The car has Ford basic care warranty so the alternator would be covered, diagnostic fee was $80. I replaced the belts and tensioner also.

I've read on the Taurus forums of people having problems with the Motorcraft battery and also low ohm readings on the gauge clusters were stuff stopped working but none with mine where everything works.

My buddy is a tech at Ford and told me the Fseries trucks are eating the factory installed batteries and the replacements are perfectly fine. Seems Ford has some issues..

Builder Of Badassery

Turbov6Bryan
12-05-2015, 06:25 PM
If the battery had a weak cell, your battery voltage would not drop to 11.5 while it was supposed to be charging, your alt stops charging and then your battery starts discharging 11.5 sounds like alt is intermittently not working

I've had batteries with 10 volts , drop down to 7 volts while starting the car, and the alt demand is higher due to dead battery, alt jumps to 13.8 - 14.3 and would eventually drop down to 13. Shut the car off, and literally watch the volts trickle down to a steady 10 flat. Lol

Check the specific gravity in all 6 cells

It's the excite wire to the alt, or the alt(bad diode bridge,stuck brush)

Pull the brush pack, I've seen 100s of ford alternators where 1 brush sticks

HTH

ctrlraven
12-05-2015, 06:29 PM
The battery in my 2012 Taurus SHO is the same as in the Marauder ... A BXT 65-650. Check the OEM battery specs. Also looks like Cell #1 may be toast. I thought about getting a bigger battery. Just don't want to throw money at it and replace something that doesn't need to be replaced. I might take the battery to Advance or AZ and have them test it.

I replaced the Motorcraft battery in Kelly's Fusion which was 3 yrs old and car had close to 50k miles on it, same 3.5 engine and battery as my Taurus.

My buddy is a tech at Ford and told me the Fseries trucks are eating the factory installed batteries and the replacements are perfectly fine. Seems Ford has some issues..

Builder Of Badassery
I read that on the Ford truck forum, same battery is used and some replacements were failing within 1-2 years also.

ctrlraven
01-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Went to the dealer yesterday, alternator was replaced. At first they only checked it out for 30 mins or so and said they couldn't do anything without the issue present. I pushed the fact I could wait all day and I didn't care if they left it running the whole time or whatever. So the mechanic had his helper run it around the lot and road test it, eventually the check charging system message came up so they could do their pinpoint testing. Mechanic said it was either going to be the alternator or the wire between the alternator and pcm but needed the issue present to nail it down. I'm really glad I went back to my old place of employment and dealt with people who I've known for year. Also got lucky that the mechanic who was doing the repair was someone I knew back when I worked there and he remembered me after speaking with him for about 10 mins about the car.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12642492_10204043750612604_916 4796490597767210_n.jpg?oh=65c0 620e983fc451e022f081e7cc1978&oe=573E2D62

I'm hoping all the issue was just the alternator. Glad I still had a Ford BaseCare ESP on it, only cost me $100 and got teased all day looking at new vehicles I wish I could buy. That new car smell... I miss it! lol

Mr. Man
01-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Glad to here it's figured out.