PDA

View Full Version : 12-7-1941 Remember Pearl Harbor

fastblackmerc
12-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Remember Pearl Harbor and all veterans past, present and future.

Thank you for your service! :flag:

http://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/pearl-harbor

Mike D Mechanic
12-07-2015, 06:24 PM
I always remember Pearl Harbor also ! To many don't!
My father was sent to Europe but all my uncles were sent to the Pacific . They went thru hell to win and did Thank God they were there to defend!

FastMerc
12-07-2015, 07:04 PM
I had relatives involved, so I will never forget!

Joe Walsh
12-07-2015, 07:49 PM
My Dad was in the Navy during WW2.

He would never buy a Japanese car.....:shake:

every December 7th I'm reminded why.

jsignorelli
12-07-2015, 08:08 PM
My mother and her brothers and sisters all served in the Brooklyn Navy yard or the European theater.
My dad and his brothers served in the Pacific. Dad was on the New Jersey, hence why I have Battleship New Jersey plates on the Marauder.

My entire family enlisted within two weeks of the attack.

Ms. Denmark
12-08-2015, 03:49 AM
My Dad was in the Navy and spent time at Pearl. (Not at the time of the Japanese attack)

2,4shofast
12-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Amen, :flag:

MM in MN
12-09-2015, 10:19 AM
The first US shot of WW2 was fired an hour or two before the attack on Pearl by the USS Ward, an old destroyer patrolling outside the entrance to the harbor. It saw and sunk a Japanese pocket sub with that shot. The Ward was mostly crewed by Minnesota sailor, and when she was refitted later in the war, the deck gun that fired that shot was sent to Minnesota, where it is still on display on the Capitol grounds.
I made certain to stop there on Monday to pay my respects.

2,4shofast
12-09-2015, 10:45 AM
The first US shot of WW2 was fired an hour or two before the attack on Pearl by the USS Ward, an old destroyer patrolling outside the entrance to the harbor. It saw and sunk a Japanese pocket sub with that shot. The Ward was mostly crewed by Minnesota sailor, and when she was refitted later in the war, the deck gun that fired that shot was sent to Minnesota, where it is still on display on the Capitol grounds.
I made certain to stop there on Monday to pay my respects.

I wasn't aware of that, thank you for sharing!:beer:

88LTDCV351
12-09-2015, 11:29 AM
My grandpa was in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific during WWII. I think he was a nurse or something like that.

I bought him a Seal of the Navy afghan throw blanket for his 90th birthday and he was thrilled with it.

jerrym3
12-09-2015, 05:07 PM
I was fortunate to visit the Pearl Harbor monument back in the mid 90's.

Looking down and seeing the ship beneath the water, oil still bubbling up even after all these years, the floating markers at the front and rear of the ship, and looking at the monument wall with the names of the deceased........Tough to put into words.

One can only imagine what it must have been like.

Most attendees were very solemn, except for one small group that was taking pictures, which is fine, except they had big smiles on their faces like it was a typical photo shoot at Disneyland.

Bit my tongue and walked away.

cruzer
12-09-2015, 05:25 PM
I had just had my 13th birthday in November 1941. Before WW II and Korea was over, 11 members of my family and Ginny's family had served.Thank God we all came home safely. Please keep the memory of these brave men and women alive--freedom is not free---don't let "political correctness " replace the government we fought for. If you don't preserve history as it happened you will forget it's valuable lessons. About all we "olderlies " can do is pray that you provide the leadership this country so badly needs. Sorry that my age now prevents me from being active like I used to, but I will be there in spirit.
Have a great holiday season . Maury

Joe Walsh
12-14-2015, 02:24 PM
You don't see too many people as modest as this WWII fighter pilot.
He flew the last mission of WWII.

"The Greatest Generation"

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/395572/jerry-yellin-world-war-ii-veteran-interview#.Vm8zD-5UDcs