Thread: Setting up DRLs

Setting up DRLs

Ok, so I have switchback LED bulbs installed for the parking lights/turn signals (can't remember if I bought them from Jim or limited360). I really like the look when they're on and wanted to basically run them as DRLs triggered to turn on when the car is running. Has anyone done this before? Because I'm pretty sure that if I just run power to the wiring to the bulb, I'll turn on all of the lights instead of just the parking lamps. I'd prefer to not do that. Also, I don't know what wire/circuit would be best to tap into to turn them on. Figure there has to be something in the fuse box with which I could add a fuse tap.
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

Quote Originally Posted by ledzilla View Post
    Ok, so I have switchback LED bulbs installed for the parking lights/turn signals (can't remember if I bought them from Jim or limited360). I really like the look when they're on and wanted to basically run them as DRLs triggered to turn on when the car is running. Has anyone done this before? Because I'm pretty sure that if I just run power to the wiring to the bulb, I'll turn on all of the lights instead of just the parking lamps. I'd prefer to not do that. Also, I don't know what wire/circuit would be best to tap into to turn them on. Figure there has to be something in the fuse box with which I could add a fuse tap.
    I think there was a relay that needed to be installed. I'll look at the factory wiring diagram tonight.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I'm pretty sure you can put in a factory daytime running light relay, but that would make the highbeams go at reduced power.

Check this website click on daytime running lights universal kit DRL-1

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/

I had that in my Grand Marquis and it works just as you want it to. I bought another one for my Marauder, but just having gotten around to putting it in yet

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    I think there was a relay that needed to be installed. I'll look at the factory wiring diagram tonight.
    Cool. Let me know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by larryo340 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can put in a factory daytime running light relay, but that would make the highbeams go at reduced power.

Check this website click on daytime running lights universal kit DRL-1

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/

I had that in my Grand Marquis and it works just as you want it to. I bought another one for my Marauder, but just having gotten around to putting it in yet
    I took a look at that kit, and it seems to be the same as other kits I found. They tie into the turn signal circuit, whereas I want to tie into the parking lamp circuit so as to take advantage of the switchback bulbs I installed. In fact, I think I came across that kit while searching for info on this.

My only real concern is that if the light circuits are similar enough to other cars I've tinkered with, powering a single parking lamp will turn on the other parking lamp and the taillights, and I only want to illuminate the parking lamps.
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

Having your parking lights/turn signals as DRL could cause interference with the functionality of the turn signals themselves when you go to use them.

I did a fog light always on/DRL setup for one member several years ago. It also kept the fog lights on while high beam was activated.

Forgot to add, you can use any IGN/Remote wire as a trigger to activate a relay. As long as the source shows 12+ with the key in the On/Run position, during crank and after the engine has started.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Here's a thought... Would wiring a standard 5-pin relay into the parking light circuit at each lamp work? I'm thinking the factory wire could be connected to terminal 87a, the DRL wire to terminal 87 and 85/86, and terminal 30 would run to the bulb. So when the DRL wire gets power, it would switch the relay and power the bulb at the same time, and in theory would prevent current from traveling back into the circuitry, turning on other bulbs. And if I wanted to be extra fancy, a second relay could be connected that shut off the DRL function when the lights are turned on from the switch. This would be setup at each parking lamp.
    "Beast, Jr."

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    Having your parking lights/turn signals as DRL could cause interference with the functionality of the turn signals themselves when you go to use them.

I did a fog light always on/DRL setup for one member several years ago. It also kept the fog lights on while high beam was activated.
    Honestly, I'm considering tying in the fog lights to what I want to do. I really do like how these switchbacks look, along with the fogs on at the same time. Will probably look better when I get some clean white LEDs installed in the fogs.
    "Beast, Jr."

Here's a thought... Would wiring a standard 5-pin relay into the parking light circuit at each lamp work? I'm thinking the factory wire could be connected to terminal 87a, the DRL wire to terminal 87 and 85/86, and terminal 30 would run to the bulb. So when the DRL wire gets power, it would switch the relay and power the bulb at the same time, and in theory would prevent current from traveling back into the circuitry, turning on other bulbs. And if I wanted to be extra fancy, a second relay could be connected that shut off the DRL function when the lights are turned on from the switch. This would be setup at each parking lamp.
    Honestly, I'm considering tying in the fog lights to what I want to do. I really do like how these switchbacks look, along with the fogs on at the same time. Will probably look better when I get some clean white LEDs installed in the fogs.
    The least headache thing to do besides just turning the headlight switch would be to just do the fog lights.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Exhaust by Greg

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    The least headache thing to do besides just turning the headlight switch would be to just do the fog lights.
    True, turning on the headlight switch is what I currently do, and it's the easy way, but that's not what I'm going for here.

I do have a question, though. For using the fogs as DRLs, what circuit did you tap into?
    "Beast, Jr."

DRL

It's kind of funny, not setting up DRL's, rather that I was just reading another members web page concerning turning the DRLs off. That member is/was QWKsvt. I guess in Canada the Marauder's have the DRLs. Any way here is a quote from his website

"Ford, in all it's infinite wisdom decided not to provide the owner with a way to turn the Day Time Running Lights (DRLs) off, for any reason. If parked with the engine on, the lights are too. While those south of the border probably don't suffer from this problem, fellow Canuck owners will share my pain. This is extremely annoying, when you need the engine on, but don't feel like drawing attention to yourself - like at a drive-in movie, or quietly parked with company "

here is the URL for QWKSVT's web page for above topic.

http://www.qwksvt.com/MDRL.html

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Don't know if it would help, but just wondering why that circuit couldn't be used for your purpose.

Just thinking out loud on the forum. Hope it may help in some small way.

Oh yes, on the bottom of QWKSVT's web page it states the following..

"Copyright © 2011 QWKSVT.com | All Rights Reserved
    Use of this web site is strictly prohibited. Do not attempt any of the experiments documented on this website. No responsibility for errors or omissions will be assumed. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. Your mileage may vary.

Steve
    Last edited by Shornaday; 02-16-2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Add info.
    2004 Mercury Marauder - Silver Birch
    2003 Mercury Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Aspen Green
    2002 Ford F150 Crew Cab - Silver Metallic
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 - Vermillion Red - Silver Frost

True, turning on the headlight switch is what I currently do, and it's the easy way, but that's not what I'm going for here.

I do have a question, though. For using the fogs as DRLs, what circuit did you tap into?
    Don't remember off the top of my head, I'll have to find my notes and see.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Exhaust by Greg

When I purchased my car I had the dealer install DRLs, when the recall came in for the LCM, the replaced the LCM but the DRLs do not work, I never did check if they removed what the dealer installed or just did not hook them back up.

Canadian Marauders came with DRLs U.S. did not.
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

Cool. Let me know what you find.

I took a look at that kit, and it seems to be the same as other kits I found. They tie into the turn signal circuit, whereas I want to tie into the parking lamp circuit so as to take advantage of the switchback bulbs I installed. In fact, I think I came across that kit while searching for info on this.

My only real concern is that if the light circuits are similar enough to other cars I've tinkered with, powering a single parking lamp will turn on the other parking lamp and the taillights, and I only want to illuminate the parking lamps.
    All I can say is that with this kit wired to the turn signal circuit it did not turn on the rear turn signal/brake light.
    Since you want to power switch back lights in parking light circuit not the turn signal circuit what would happen if you switch the park light and turn signal light power wires before the bulb socket? Wouldn't this give you the white light as DRL and then yellow for parking lamp?

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Ok, so I laid out a diagram of what I think should work. I included a bypass switch to turn them off if I wanted to idle at night without attracting attention, and a "show switch" to turn them on while the car is off. For whatever reason it would seem useful. I plan to use a DPDT switch instead two separate switches, but I don't know how to diagram them correctly, so the diagram shows two different switches.

The DRLs will be powered through fuse taps in the box under the dash. And turning on the lights will switch off the DRL function so in the event the DRLs are switched off through the bypass, the parking lights will still turn on if the lights are turned on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Beast, Jr."

Thread Information