Thread: ABS, brake lites illuminated.

Question ABS, brake lites illuminated.

Question: can worn brake pads cause the ABS/brake warning lites to come on?
    cleared after recycling system.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Question: can worn brake pads cause the ABS/brake warning lites to come on?
    cleared after recycling system.

Worn pads can trigger brake light for low fluid but ABS light, No.

Abs is all about sensor/tone ring relation.

Check all your sensors to see if one loosened up and moved away from tone ring.

wheel bearing (front) failure can also trigger ABS light.

If no visible issues, get the code read. Sensor or module may have puked.

Can't tell until code is known.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

The Marauder's rear ABS sensor has been known to come loose.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    The Marauder's rear ABS sensor has been known to come loose.
    Right on Mr. Fix it!!--

-mine was blinking light and took off rear wheel and --checked and bolt holding it had loosen and fallen out and even the magnet to hold the darn thing had separated --thus the steady light----duh! this was awhile back (years) and provided yet another item to file away about his vehicle to keep in memory for future ,,,,,and of course check the blinking light sooner ...after all that's what they are for.....LOL
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

Pat, if the brake pads were worn down sufficiently to cause the fluid level in the MC to drop to the MIN line, the brake light could illuminate, but that wouldn't affect the ABS. If it cleared, then it may have been "just one of those things", but if it comes back, get the codes read. Also, if you have a Windows laptop, FORScan will run a self-test on the ABS and display any codes it finds. The best part is it's free.

https://forscan.org/download.html
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

same problem, but intermittent & NO CODES

2004MM, 160K

ABS & Brake lights off on cold start, but usually both come on after auto warms up. Sometimes - rarely - they go off again. Also - rarely - they turn off after slowly going over rough dirt road, pitching & rocking. Again, intermittent, but damned annoying. Now 'On' more than 'Off'.

My indy shop very Ford-oriented, and have done all service ex-warranty.

Mechanic checked for codes twice with ABS & Brake panel lights both on and off - no codes at all. Checked/topped off brake fluid reservoir. Moved float to make sure it wasn't stuck. Unplugged connector and cleaned contacts on both sides.

Showed him printout of this thread. Thought tone wheel/magnet problem should really show code. Car just had complete spring service; no front bearing problems noted. (They did replace RR axle & bearings 2-3 years ago.)

Any suggestions? Would really appreciate some help!

BTW, can fluid reservoir with float & connector be replaced without replacing entire master cyl. assembly, or is it all one $$$ part?

Quote Originally Posted by Chachacharlie View Post
    2004MM, 160K

ABS & Brake lights off on cold start, but usually both come on after auto warms up. Sometimes - rarely - they go off again. Also - rarely - they turn off after slowly going over rough dirt road, pitching & rocking. Again, intermittent, but damned annoying. Now 'On' more than 'Off'.

My indy shop very Ford-oriented, and have done all service ex-warranty.

Mechanic checked for codes twice with ABS & Brake panel lights both on and off - no codes at all. Checked/topped off brake fluid reservoir. Moved float to make sure it wasn't stuck. Unplugged connector and cleaned contacts on both sides.

Showed him printout of this thread. Thought tone wheel/magnet problem should really show code. Car just had complete spring service; no front bearing problems noted. (They did replace RR axle & bearings 2-3 years ago.)

Any suggestions? Would really appreciate some help!

BTW, can fluid reservoir with float & connector be replaced without replacing entire master cyl. assembly, or is it all one $$$ part?

This is my exact problem also. I've had it looked at twice with the same results. The scanner would read either "No Codes" or "No communication". The only thought I had was the ABS unit that mounts to the frame was bad or going bad. I'm watching this thread. Somebody's has the answer to this.

It was an honor to have
    my ASS kicked by you!
    Rest In Peace!
    Paul T. Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy Marq View Post
    This is my exact problem also. I've had it looked at twice with the same results. The scanner would read either "No Codes" or "No communication". The only thought I had was the ABS unit that mounts to the frame was bad or going bad. I'm watching this thread. Somebody's has the answer to this.
    That’s what happened, the electronic part on the front of it could be unbolted and sent out and repaired, I sent one out to these people and had it repaired for $100. https://www.shop.modulerepairpro.com/Marauder_c36.htm
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    That’s what happened, the electronic part on the front of it could be unbolted and sent out and repaired, I sent one out to these people and had it repaired for $100. https://www.shop.modulerepairpro.com/Marauder_c36.htm
    Derek, You are the man! I just so happen to have an extra one of those. Your on the sauce and nuts list now.

It was an honor to have
    my ASS kicked by you!
    Rest In Peace!
    Paul T. Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    Just to be clear - this module can fail and still not throw any codes at all?

And after replacement, it cures this problem with its specific symptoms?

Module Repair Pro Inc. says car can be driven without module. Other than lack of ABS, ANY other concerns?

Just to be clear - this module can fail and still not throw any codes at all?

And after replacement, it cures this problem with its specific symptoms?

Module Repair Pro Inc. says car can be driven without module. Other than lack of ABS, ANY other concerns?
    Typically when it fails you get the ABS light and the brake light in the instrument cluster. It probably won’t throw any codes because most of the time when it fails you can’t connect through the OBDii port.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

The module on my friends 04 sport died and when connecting to the car with forscan, forscan couldn't even find the ABS module. The ABS module wasn't showing codes because the ABS module wasn't even powering on.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

You can, but I wouldn't.... It will become obvious when you take the module off as to why some would advise not to drive it.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

ive driven mine with the abs module disabled and not any issues?

On my son's 02 Grand Marquis we had the same problem. Sometimes the ABS and brake light would be on, ABS and TC in-op, could not connect to it with a scan tool. When the lights weren't on everything worked, could connect with the scan tool, no codes and good wheel speed signals. Replaced the module with a Junk Yard unit and everything has been working for the last 1 1/2 years.

Yes you can drive the car w/o the module installed but it would be a good idea to cover it to keep it clean.

I suspect the problem is likely a bad solder joint as our car seemed to be most likely to have the problem the higher the ambient temps.

Thread Information