Thread: OEM spoiler mounting questions

OEM spoiler mounting questions

Due to rust underneath edges of my trunk lid and a dent, I purchased a very clean trunk lid with a factory spoiler mounted to it. Upon inspecting more, I realize now that the spoiler was put on straight but not with the 4 screw template. There is 1 screw each side in the wrong spots about 6 inches from each end(not close enough to corners of trunk), where there were existing through holes from inside the trunk to easily send screws through... seems like it was put on the easy quick way. Even with just two screws it was held on VERY FIRMLY. But I would like to mount correctly. One corner of the tape was dried out and the corner of spoiler was barely loose, but it made me start looking much harder at how it was installed.

Any advice, knowledge, correct hardware size, hole locations/template info, would be greatly appreciated. My car is in great shape but is almost due for fresh paint or clearcoat.. im trying to get the little things done first before any sanding or prep begins. I'm hoping I'm not going to end up disappointed with the purchase I just made. It is beyond me why someone would mount a factory OEM spoiler incorrectly but I'm stuck with what I have now. 😐

Correction to my post, the two used holes are about 1 foot from each corner of spoiler. The outside factory screw locations have been drilled thru trunk lid but covered with a sealant. It seems like whoever installed this spoiler didnt want to attach the center two screws and instead went their own way with it... any help or advice Is appreciated. I have no issue drilling holes in proper locations, I just need to know exactly where and what hardware to use. Trying hard here to not be disappointed. I'm just happy it is a real OEM spoiler.

OEM spoiler mounting questions

I was never given a template with my spoiler. I simply found dead center of the trunk and took careful measurements from center out both ways. It fit perfect.

As for hardware, it’s been a long time now but I believe it was 8mm x course thread studs screwed into the spoiler and 8mm w/washer nuts on the trunk side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Here is the pdf file for the original instructions for installing a rear spoiler on our cars. Credit goes to gdmjoe:

http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothvic/docume...lerinstall.pdf

I swear this is my favorite website��

On another note, any disappointment I have is only from the price I paid and the distance I drove to pick it up. Both the trunk and spoiler are a 9 out of 10 for condition. Just have to dig in now.

Thank you guys. Greatly appreciate it.

Some were installed with 2-sided adhesive tape and a couple screws.

Not really the way to do it but it was done.

Maybe this is how yours was done.

Even saw one where the guy installed with the adhesive tape only - no screws... Yah, I don't want to be behind that car on the interstate...

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

You could always make a new template with some construction paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious1 View Post
    Here is the pdf file for the original instructions for installing a rear spoiler on our cars. Credit goes to gdmjoe:

http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothvic/docume...lerinstall.pdf
    Nice assist and great call out: CREDIT GOES TO GDMJOE!

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Thread Information