Thread: Getting new tires

Getting new tires

I'll need new tires soon, thinking about sticking with what's already on there and getting a new set of the firestones. Anything else I should look at?

what is on there?..I think the Firestones are being discontinued or the size..Better look into it first..It depends on use and sizes wanted? all season type performance is either Cooper Zeon RS3A or NItto Motivo, in factory size warm weather only NItto 555 but will wear faster some like certain Hankook and Toyo brands. Plenty of threads in here about tires and preferences
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

currently firestones right now are on it

Castine, Maine & Brooklyn, NY & Walton, NY
    Nitto Motivo

Hankooks...............
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I've had both coopers and nitto motivo. I prefer the Nitto's. Stiffer sidewall than the Coopers, but don't grip as well when the tires are cold. I think they grip as well once they warm up.
    SILVER 04 BLACK INTERIOR
    JLT TRU COLD AIR
    FLOWMASTER 40SERIES
    MOONROOF
    HEATED SEATS
    6 DISC CHANGER
    4.10 rear
    Ford racing Cobra trac-loc
    Lidio tune
    31 spline axles

Nitto Motivos are a great brand and currently have the OEM sizes available (as well as some variations if you want to go taller or wider).

Besides tirerack and discount tire, what are some other sites? Are the nittos all season?

Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    Nitto Motivo
    +2 my two cents.

My car doesn't have traction control and came with all 4 same size tires. (235/50/18) I like the idea of being able to do rotations. I also like the look of the larger tires on the rear, but I don't really drive that hard. I looked for months going back and forth about wheels and tires, and in the end just ordered up a set of 4 Pilot Sport AS3+ at Tire Barn. Really wanted to change out the wheels, but the high offset just makes them hard to find unless I pay more. Still want to, but right now my old CJ5 needs some love. I'll have fun with the factory wheels too. The Michelin tires are top notch if I do push it, and they can do snow almost as well as the Continental DWS 06 if the youtube videos are to be believed. Of course, we've had a mild winter, but can't complain about that. New tires go on in the morning, so I guess we'll see.
    2003 Marauder... the gentleman's hot rod.

You know what I like best about most people? Their dogs.

New shoes ride nice. Handling seems a bit better and the comfort is the same. Couldn't push it too hard with Brandy (my service dog) in the car. I did just enough to tell that it felt quite a bit more neutral. (if that's the right word) It's more planted and less push. I will want to try these out on a curvy road real soon, but I'm sure they'll live up to the pilot sport name. Anyway, sure beats the hell out of 3 bald winter tires and the spare BFG. Wonder what an autocross is like?

Probably get a ticket now...
    2003 Marauder... the gentleman's hot rod.

You know what I like best about most people? Their dogs.

I running the coopers in the OEM sizes. So far I have owned them 15 months (don't know how many miles....12k-15kish). I've been happy with the performance and the noise level. My only complaint is that I feel like the tears are going to need to be replaced soon. I don't remember the rating but 20k on a tire seems low.

Disclaimer: I have not performed a single burnout on these tires. I have utilized the 4:10s many times but not burnouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Davco View Post
    . My only complaint is that I feel like the tears are going to need to be replaced soon. I don't remember the rating but 20k on a tire seems low.

I am on my 5th set of rears and 21-24K is about the average wear that I have seen from the BFGs, Goodyear Eagles, and Nitto Motivos. I run 38 psi in the rears. The fronts get an average of 36K. Of course, I don't run them until they are bald and will swap them out when they are in the Yellow rating around 3-4 mms.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

So the nittos don't last long?

Getting new tires

Quote Originally Posted by jmsa540 View Post
    So the nittos don't last long?

Just put the Nittos on last August 2016. They have less than 2,000 miles on them so far. I'm assuming that they will wear about the same as the others that I have tried. I think you will look long and hard to find many people who have gotten much more than 25K on any set of rears on the Marauder from any brand. Bumping pressures up May get 1-2K more but not much more. Yeah, it seems low; but is pretty common in Marauderland.

I should also say that I swap out tires well before they reach the point of being bald. If I ran them down to "slicks", I could probably add another 3-5K miles. Personally, that's something that I don't do because I would feel rather bad and embarrassed if the rear end kicked out on a slick road and ended up wrecking the car. I just won't take the chance.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 02-17-2017 at 07:10 AM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Thread Information