Thread: 4R70W or 4R75E

4R70W or 4R75E

I'm about to do a motor swap. The motor I'll be installing has (what I was told) a 4R70W transmition built by 88grandmarq. The transmission that's in the car now I believe is a 4R75E. The donor car was an 03 300B, the recipient is an 04 300B. I don't know how to determine the difference between the two transmissions. What are the pros and cons in swapping these out? Should I swap them at all? The 4R70W has 115000 miles and been rebuilt, the 4R75E has 138000 miles and hasn't been touched. I know once the swap is made there will have to get some tuning done. Will there be a tuning issue with this swap? Or wiring issue?

Tag on 03 trans.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It was an honor to have
    my ASS kicked by you!
    Rest In Peace!
    Paul T. Casey

Swapping the trans will require a new tune.

I'm a little rusty, I haven't dealt with this since August, but I believe it was the vehicle speed sensor reluctor wheel that needed to be changed. Otherwise, you won't really notice a difference. You won't need a tune. When the trans blew apart in my friend's '03 300A, we put in a 4R75. Aside from more crisp shifts from the new clutches, no difference we noticed, & his is a Trilogy car.

2005 Mercury S55
    Saleen Supercharged 2V

Quote Originally Posted by martyo View Post
    Swapping the trans will require a new tune.
    Marty your at the top of my list for tuners. But it's a short list. Your also at the bottom. I will be contacting you and Jeff for custom tuning when we get this project going. We've had a very busy winter, my son's and I just haven't had the time to tackle this yet.

It was an honor to have
    my ASS kicked by you!
    Rest In Peace!
    Paul T. Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy Marq View Post
    Marty your at the top of my list for tuners. But it's a short list. Your also at the bottom. I will be contacting you and Jeff for custom tuning when we get this project going. We've had a very busy winter, my son's and I just haven't had the time to tackle this yet.
    We are ready when you are!

The main difference between 2003 and 2004 transmissions is the output shaft ring gear and how the OSS reads the speed signal. 2003 and older transmissions have 6 holes in the ring gear. 2004 and newer have 24 teeth on the ring gear. I am told you can change this setting in the PCM with a hand held tuner, but I have never personally done it.

Its a very strong transmission and will shift VERY firm and unless you abuse it severely (IE run it out of fluid, try to tow 30,000lbs with it, etc) it shouldnt break any time soon.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E Transmissions, check out my Facebook page for my latest project; https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Thank all of y'all for the responses. I'm going to put the 4R70W in as long as the tuning isn't problem. One more question has anybody pulled motor and trans out the top with them together? Or should I separate them? Motor out the top trans out the bottom.

It was an honor to have
    my ASS kicked by you!
    Rest In Peace!
    Paul T. Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy Marq View Post
    Thank all of y'all for the responses. I'm going to put the 4R70W in as long as the tuning isn't problem. One more question has anybody pulled motor and trans out the top with them together? Or should I separate them? Motor out the top trans out the bottom.
    From what I recall it is suggested to pull motor out the top trans out the bottom.

98 P71 SOLD

2003 MARAUDER - BLACK ~ Race Car
    2003 MARAUDER - DARK BLUE PEARL ~ DD
    2002 Crown Vic Sport ~ top secret project car

Just an fyi marty this is my wrecked vehicle granddaddy now has. He has in his possesion the handheld tuner I got when I did the eaton swap with you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jwibbity View Post
    Just an fyi marty this is my wrecked vehicle granddaddy now has. He has in his possesion the handheld tuner I got when I did the eaton swap with you guys.
    Roger that good buddy.

Thread Information