Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air filters

Marauder04 Guest

Air filters

Newbie here
    What cold air sysytrm do u use for MM?
    KN dropin with silencer removed?
    Fram Airhog with silincer removed?
    9in or 12in Conical filter attached to massair?

Cool cold air system for MM...

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder04
    Newbie here
    KN dropin with silencer removed?
    Fram Airhog with silincer removed?
    9in or 12in Conical filter attached to massair?
    Welcome to this informative site . if you like you start with the K & N but first do a search of "K&N Air Filter" on this site and see if you like what you read...
    I'll keep my Freedom, my Money, my Religion, my Guns & you can keep the " Change ".

Pauls High Performance w/12" conical filter.

I am in no way giving any plugs here...but you asked...and I here by reply.
    2017 Niro

Marauder04 - Welcome aboard.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Welcome, Marauder04...

Actually, the MM has one of the lowest restriction intakes of any Ford product to date. The K&N panel filter has already been demonstrated to provide 0 HP improvement. I don't know if anyone has used the Air Hog, but since it's an oiled filter very similar to the K&N, I'd have to believe it will perform the same. Cone filters generally pull in too much underhood heat to make any significant HP increase, but they sure do sound nice.

As a side note, one of our CA members actually provided his MM to K&N for them to develop an FIPK...this was some months ago, and we've heard nothing...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Paul's Hi-Performance Cold Air Induction here......DR tested and got pretty significant gains!!!

I can feel SOP gain but have not dynoed!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

I am using the Fram Air hog for now, until I can find a TRUE cold air induction

I also put a Fram AirHog in just for kicks (since Pep Boys was out of the K&N) . . . plus, I really like the way the stock airbox looks. I certainly didn't "feel" any performance gain, but then I didn't expect to feel one anyway. I still have the silencer in place. I'll get the Metco carbonfiber cold air kit that TAF showed here in another thread (which looked BEAUTIFUL!!!) after I get my Trilogy supercharger installed.
    Last edited by studio460; 07-05-2004 at 11:53 PM.

2003 Mercury Marauder 300B, matte-black, S55 taillights.
    B&M transmission/Precision Industries TC; Eibach-lowered; Addco rear anti-sway; Metco rear control arms; Steeda UDP; 180° 'stat.

Oh, here's the thread with the picture I mentioned:
    Metco carbonfiber cold air kit thread with picture

2003 Mercury Marauder 300B, matte-black, S55 taillights.
    B&M transmission/Precision Industries TC; Eibach-lowered; Addco rear anti-sway; Metco rear control arms; Steeda UDP; 180° 'stat.

[QUOTE=Marauder04]Newbie here

Marauder 04, your car has a cold air induction system. The reason you don't see many alternatives available is that nobody has been able to demonstrate any real improvement by changing the system.

Too bad that ITG doesn't make a filter that fit the MM. Best filter on the market, but its a nitch item. Not familiar with the Pauls High Performance. Anyone have a link? The silencer also acts as a air reserve at high rpms when the engine is demanding more flow. Found this out on a IceMan CAI that was on my Focus. I pulled the resonator off and tried different configurations with getting more air in through that hole. At one point I taped it off with very high strenght aluminum tape to seal the box. After a "spirited" run I noticed more noise from under the hood. The tape had been sucked into the box. Happened twice. Long story short I solved the air flow problem with a hybrid IceMan/Focus Sport intake. I was showing my new baby to a friend that builds street rods as a hobby. I mentioned that the motor was also being used in the Mach 1. I asked if he thought that induction system could be adapted to the MM. Answer , sure, that would look cool... Maybe down the road, not real big on cutting up my new hood.
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

Question Motorcraft -vs- Fram Air Filter.....

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder8
    I am using the Fram Air hog for now, until I can find a TRUE cold air induction
    I'm not interested in the oiled type filters from K&N, or the Fram Air Hog......

Just need to know if I should stick with the Motorcraft Air Filter or go with the Fram Air Filter as an alternate, or does it really matter ?

I rather change out my air filter every, other Dealer Service, or 10,000 miles then to have an oil residue build-up on the MAF sensor.
    Carlos
    '03 Marauder 300A
    • Built 8-23-02
    • TRADED IN

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo50
    I'm not interested in the oiled type filters from K&N, or the Fram Air Hog......

Just need to know if I should stick with the Motorcraft Air Filter or go with the Fram Air Filter as an alternate, or does it really matter ?

I rather change out my air filter every, other Dealer Service, or 10,000 miles then to have an oil residue build-up on the MAF sensor.
    I have run K&Ns on both of my Marauders for about 30,000 miles each and have never had a problem with "oil residue build-up" on the MAF sensor.

As for the paper filter elements, I doubt there is enough difference to shop for any reason except price.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Thumbs up Fram it is....

Quote Originally Posted by FordNut
    I have run K&Ns on both of my Marauders for about 30,000 miles each and have never had a problem with "oil residue build-up" on the MAF sensor.

As for the paper filter elements, I doubt there is enough difference to shop for any reason except price.
    Just going by what some members that use them have been saying about new K&N filters that are freshly oiled and going WOT for extented periods of time......

As for the paper elements, Fram 5056 at Walmart are $4.86......and someone said that the Motorcraft filter from the Dealership are close to $20.00 plus, is that true ? Thanks FordNut
    Carlos
    '03 Marauder 300A
    • Built 8-23-02
    • TRADED IN

Just my .02c on this...

and just to correct some misunderstandings here.

You senior members here have heard me say this before, so, go get a fresh beer while I'm talking to the younger/newer owners, K?

A true "cold air induction kit" is one that sucks, scoops, or collects cold air from outside the engine bay and ports it to the intake. Therefore, the ONLY cold air inductions systems presently available to us are 1) our own OEM air box as it comes from the factory, which sucks cold air from behind the driver's side headlight pod, and 2) the '03 Mach I hood scoop kit from www.KarKraft.com which ports cold outside air into the internal air box where it's filtered before ingestion. BTW, this Mach 1 kit requires major mods to the hood and air box, and as far as I know, no one has undertaken converting it for our use, so, nevermind this kit, eh? The remaining kits/filters mentioned here, do not import any cold, or, fresh air from outside the engine bay period. Therefore, the "best cold air induction kit" remains our OEM air induction system due to its source of fresh, cold air...IMHO. Let me explain more?

Metco's offering is a spiffy attachment to the OEM air box, and it's really slick too. It traces the visual appearance of Kenny Brown's carbon fiber "bellows" (which is not available in kit form) and it's sweet, cheap, (umm...Inexpensive), and just plain looks cool. Some may accuse you of being supercharged, so, be honest if challenged, eh?

However, Metco's kit disappoints me, and only because it retains the OEM air box that still relies on the small fresh air source from behind the headlight pod. I say "disappointing" only because this kit does not attempt to capture any more fresh, or, cold air than the OEM air box already provides. It will smooth the air path to the intake, yes. But, it makes no improvement on the OEM source. Damnit too, I was hoping for more fresh/cold air from this kit.

Paul's kit (and most likely K&Ns kit will too, if we ever see that) removes the OEM air box entirely, taking it's fresh air (however limited this is) collection with it. Paul's kit replaces that with a K&N style conical air filter that sucks air from inside the engine bay. Yes, it has a heat shield that allows you to target the air path you wish to sample from, but it's hotter engine bay air mixing in. Any cooler air blown in from below the car gets mixed with the hot air blown through the radiator, trans cooler and so on before it's available to the kit. Any cooler air still filtering to it from behind the headlight pod is likewise mixed inside the filter. Therefore, it sucks more air, but that air doesn't stay much cooler, and I believe cooler is the factor we should be seeking...IMHO. So, while Paul's kit is likewise visually impressive, it's not improving the quality of air we get from the OEM air box. This is likewise disappointing, as an "upgrade" to our OEM air supply.

Well, seems none of us want to mod our MMs with a General Motors cowl induction thingy, so that's out. None of us seem excited to add a Mach I hood scoop either. Until we explore more options, there isn't much to choose from right now.

Until someone designs a way of collecting cold air from outside the car with a forward facing scoop of some design that collects from the forward movement of the car, we should not expect any outstanding performance gains.

IMHO...The OEM setup is still your best option. It's on the job, but it's handicapped. I looked at several pics from the Indy event, and noticed several members understand what I've explained here before, because they "raced one-eyed." Bravo! Someone is listening.

We need a scoop somewhere on the front of the car, that ducts to the OEM air box. This would show a major change in performance regardless of what follows in the induction path. On that note, for those of you who posted here about improving the OEM filter alone, remember this?

The tighter the filtering process, the less air processed. The looser the filtering process, the more air processed. Watch your "micron" count, because higher numbers mean tighter filtering, and less air processed to the MAF and intake. I'll save my discussion on this point for another time.

For the record here, my MM is supercharged and not suffering from these concerns. Yet, I remember my first N/A MM, and my concerns back then. On behalf of the new Mm owners here and asking questions, I'm just looking for the best mod for the N/A MM again. I do not support any particular vendor, or, train of thought on this topic, no bias in any direction, eh?

I use a K&N conical filter on my Kenny Brown car, and rather than oil it, or, clean it, I replace it with a fresh filter once it's sufficiently used. This works for me, because N/A or supercharged, the best filter is the clean filter. If you're really a performance minded owner, this cost goes with that program.

Thanks for listening, I'm sergntmac@aol.com for rebuttals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information