Thread: The Truth About Stall Converters

The Truth About Stall Converters

THE TRUTH ABOUT STALL TORQUE RATIO

STR has been talked and argued about for many years. The following information is what Precision Industries have found by doing there own testing to be helpful for you to try to understand this subject.

Precision Industries' competitors must have a crystal ball to figure the STR of their torque converters. There are a couple of companies in the performance torque converter business that do have the capability to test STR, MOST DO NOT! Precision Industries happens to be one that does have. Our test dyno has the capability to test from 200 ft. lbs. of torque up to 900 ft. lbs. of torque. The other companies use dynamometers that vary from 100 ft. lb. of torque to approximately 300 ft. lb. of torque.

There is an old GM printed sheet that has floated around our industry for about 10 years showing the STR of stock GM torque converters that were built back then. Our competitors either use this sheet or are guessing because they have no way of knowing what the STR really is. They also advertise STR’s of 2.7, 2.9, 3.0, 3.2, etc. this is pure BS.

All torque converter companies use the impellers, turbines and stators that come in the factory torque converters. In our tests we have never seen an STR over 2.55. Precision Industries does have torque converters with STR over 2.55 but these units have specially machined stators in them and are not worth the high cost for a street/strip application. If our competitors try to tell you differently just ask them to show you a picture of their test machine, not just a printout.

The formula for STR is EXACT OUTPUT TORQUE ÷ EXACT INPUT TORQUE = STR. This requires a known power source and a data recovery system. STR is just what the name implies. The ratio of torque multiplication at stall. As soon as the turbine rotates (car moves) the ratio starts dropping rapidly until enough RPM has been reached for the ratio to drop to 1:1. The RPM that the ratio reaches 1:1 varies depending on other factors in and out of the torque converter such as impeller exit angle, stator design, impeller to turbine clearance, input torque (engine), etc.

A fact that most everyone overlooks is that a torque converter does not make torque! It takes the torque the engine produces and multiplies it for a very short period of time. This is why some cars perform better than others with the same torque converter.

Some car enthusiasts put all kinds of money in the engine, transmission, torque converter, NOS, rear end gears, etc. then want to cripple the torque converter by lowering the STR to try and prevent wheel spin on take off. This is as foolish as pulling off one of the plug wires. Why don’t they finish the project and work on the rear suspension? Trying to tune your car by using STR is probably not very smart seeing how our competitors don’t have a clue about what STR their converters have, after all the stock torque converter you took out of your car has a STR of 1.9-1.94.

The best way to get the right torque converter for your car is to buy it from a company that has a large database of previous sales for your kind of car. Then tell the sales person what mods you have made and what mods you intend to make and let that person help with the decision. The key words here are large database. The “Johnny come lately companies” have no large database or experience with what works with these late vehicles. Why try to reinvent the wheel with your hard earned money when there is bound to be someone in our database that has the same mods as you do and their torque converter/engine combination ROCKS!

At Precision Industries we found out 10 years ago that STR is not the most important consideration when deciding on a torque converter it is the whole COMBINATION!

Courtesy of Precision Industries
    Last edited by MM03MOK; 02-10-2005 at 09:14 AM.

Thanks dennis, happy i bought from you and not some fly by night guy.
    Dave

300a
    production date 06-05-02
    686 of 7838
    Trilogy Supercharged #159
    NV "MARAUDR"

Very interesting reading.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

So they are the only company that has a machine to test the tourqe in the convertors.Then they have a better understanding on making a better product as well as proof and backing of what they make..Thanks for the info...

Thanks, Dennis, posting 411 like this every once in a while helps keep us on track.

That's why MOST of us went with the best.
    2017 Niro

not to say that other companies arent capable of making TC's just as well. The one i got from edge racing is absolutely the best thing ive done to the car. just like you all said it would be , but i only paid 560. just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by LVMarauder
    not to say that other companies arent capable of making TC's just as well. The one i got from edge racing is absolutely the best thing ive done to the car. just like you all said it would be , but i only paid 560. just food for thought.
    Yeah but is it pink like the PI unit?
    2003 300A Black Mercury Marauder 4334 of 7839
    Trilogy #150 installed by Carfixer & Tallboy 4/21/2007
    (brute's garage)

Quote Originally Posted by CRUZTAKER
    That's why MOST of us went with the best.
    ..cough..........cough........ Oh Yeah!!!!.........Tom
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

Dennis, did you type that? All the words are spelled correctly with proper grammer! Either I'm very impressed or you have a new word processing checker. Good information in any case.
    Empty Garage, but Fat bank account

It's from PI's website, www.converter.com

Quote Originally Posted by tmac1337
    Dennis, did you type that? All the words are spelled correctly with proper grammer! Either I'm very impressed or you have a new word processing checker. Good information in any case.
    LOL Tim I asked Jack if I could post this and he is going to expound on this

Thread Information