Thread: Ford Five Hundred review

Ford Five Hundred review

Well, I had posted in another thread that the wife and I bought a new '05 Ford Five Hundred SE last weekend. The wife picked it up last Monday and today I finally got my first chance to drive it.

Little background on how we ended up with this vehicle. My wife has been driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT with the 4.7 V8 for the last 2 years and absolutely loved it. Problem is, it has 77,000 miles on it and gets an average of 12-14 mpg in combined driving. With a new kid on the way (due in June), we have been looking for ways to save money where we can. So, the wife thought she would look for something used, trade in the Durango, roll in the pay off difference and get something that was still a 4-door, decent gas mileage, decent insurance, and safe.

Well, last Saturday we spent most of the day driving around looking at cars. We looked at the Chevy Impala LS, Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring, and Chrysler 300 (non-C). Nothing really was working. Oh, as you can see, we ended up looking at new cars instead of used as every where we went was more willing to deal with the payoff/trade-in difference on a new car and get the payments around what we wanted. So, it hit me to look at the Tauras and Ford Five Hundred. So, we stopped at a local, large Ford dealership and never made it to the Tauras - stopped at the Five Hundred and the wife liked it. Based on numbers we had been seeing all day, the SE (base model) was going to be what we could get. At this point I had to go to work and since we were in one car at that point, the wife dropped me off and went back to look at the car and work with the saleswoman on numbers.

The wife ended up calling me about 5 or 6 times to talk numbers, options, test drive impressions, etc. The numbers all ended up working out, they gave us $2000 more on the Durango trade-in as any one else (or discount off the sticker, how ever you want to look at it) and she signed paper work for an '05 Black/shale cloth interior. We got the 6-speed automatic, not the CVT. It has the standard 17" wheels, large 4-wheel disc brakes, AM/FM/CD, traction control, power windows, locks, mirrors, and seats, and a huge trunk. Pretty nice options for a "base" model. And it worked out as the wife did not want leather.

So, today I finally got to drive it. Actually, I got to drive it to the car wash to wash it last night so it was clean for our Easter plans today. After washing it, I will say this: my daily driver replacement for my Accord (either a MM or CV LX Sport) will NOT be black. Most likely silver with the dark grey interior. I will not take care of 2 black cars, especially when the one I will drive will get around 500 miles per week. And the paint on this thing does not seem the greatest - has a number of little scratches in it from the day it was brought home. I need it to warm up some so I can do a Zaino treatment to it.

Other than that, the car is quite nice. I really like the interior layout, the seats are comfortable, everything is in reach and nothing in the way. One thing I did not like about the weekend test drive of a Marauder last fall is that the cup holders are right behind the shifter and drinks can get in the way. With the 500, they are set off to the passenger side of the shifter - easily accessable and out of the way of shifting or rest your hand on the shifter. The center console area is very big and the cup holders have nice depth. Rear seating room is excellent and the trunk is huge (did I metion that already?).

As for the drive, it is very quiet, very controlled without being harsh - almost compare it to my friend's 300C (and the 500 is 4 inches longer than the 300C, but the 300C has a longer wheel base). Handling is decent, brakes are good, no weird noises, and quiet motor. Now, just like everything I have read, the motor is lacking in power. It goes down the road just fine, even with the A/C on (which we actually had to use in Iowa today). But as for off the line power, it is definitely lacking. I did not try, but I am pretty sure it probably wouldn't chirp the tires from a stand still. But it will go at highway speeds and cruised quite nicely at 80mph today - and still did not need to raise voices to have a conversation, even with the radio on - which has speed sensitive volume control, but the way. And the 6-speed automatic shifts quite nicely without hunting around for gears.

All in all, we are very happy with the car. Especially the wife. It does fit a purpose for Ford. The car is definitely not for everyone, but neither is the Marauder or a Mustang. It could use more power, but other than that you get a lot of car even in the base model which has a sticker price of around $22,000. I definitely like it more than a similiarly equiped and priced Chevy Impala, Honda Accord (and I am a long time Honda fan), or any of the Chrysler/Dodge products (the 300 and Magnum, to me, are not worth it unless they have the Hemi). Granted, all the above models have other options, but that drives the price up. Then again, the 500/Montego have the SEL and Limited that offer pretty much everything one might want but Navigation or HUD. Also, the car has achieved 5 star crash ratings even in the non-side air bag equiped models which is important to me with wife, kid, and new baby on the way.

So, thanks for reading and ask questions if you have any. I would be glad to answer. And anyone looking for more information on these cars, check out:

www.myford500.com
    Eric

2004 Silver Birch Marauder - Sold 04/17/09:
    - #2703 of 3213 '04 Marauders
    - #852 of 987 Silver Birch Marauders
    - Born On Date: 04/23/04
    - Warranty Start Date: 08/11/04
    - MINE as of: 09/09/05

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

hdwrench Guest
    what is a ford 500? maybe this is another product they failed to advertise or i just need to watch tv, read magazines, get a life.

i actually do know what one is but havent heard much about it

Actually, we have seen quite a few commercials for it.

Bascially, the way I understand, they are splitting the Taurus segment in to 3 vehicles: the 500, the Fusion, and the Freestyle. The 500 is meant to compete with the likes of the 300C in the larger, little more upscale (?) family 4-door market. The Fusion is supposed to be based on the Mazda6 platform and be a little sportier. And the Freestyle is more of the car-based SUV type to compete with the Chrysler Pacifica, etc.

The 500 is built on a SAAB platform, but with the Duratec 3.0 V6. It can be had as a FWD with the 6-speed auto or CVT, or as AWD with the CVT as the only tranny option. I really was glad we were able to get the SE with the 6-speed automatic instead of the CVT as they were not originally available that way.

And the salewoman said that either this year or next will be the last year for the Taurus and it will get retired to fleet sales.
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

The 500 is off of the new XC90 platform from Ford owned Volvo

Saab is GM owned.
    Accufab 65mm Throttlebody, 4.10 gears, and JDM Flipchip. Finally here.

In the future: total custom Twin Turbo at 15-18 PSI
    with Intercooler and 2003 Cobra Mustang lower end with Crank,Manley Rods, and 8.5 over1 Pistons.

14.976 @ 94.8 MPH 03 Marauder stock
    13.028 @ 104.6 MPH 02 Lightning JDM Flipchip,4# lower pulley, and Borla Catback. JLP Ramair, Oilbreather, JLP power pipe
    More to come

Yes, that is what I meant...

Actually, I knew what the vehicle model was, just ended up typing the wrong manufacturer. Thanks for the clarification. That is what I meant!!!
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

It has "command seating", so there is no chance to duck down when you see someone you know at a light.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Quote Originally Posted by Eric91Z
    Well, I had posted in another thread that the wife and I bought a new '05 Ford Five Hundred SE last weekend.
    I kinda like the Ford 500 and its Mercury cousin the Montego. The elevated seating is excellent and the roominess is deceiving. Just wish that it had a little more Oooomph under the hood.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Quote Originally Posted by CBT
    It has "command seating", so there is no chance to duck down when you see someone you know at a light.
    Yeah, nothing like the 300C where you feel like you are sitting lower and barely have your head sticking up above the window sill...
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

You said that your "Five Hundred" has the 6 speed transmission. Have you tried to check the transmission fluid. First you must find the (very small) dipstick. Then you have to twist your body to get to it, pull out, wipe off, put back in, then pull out again. A lot of trouble, yes, however:

Better than the CVT (on a FreeStyle) that I looked at. Could not fine a dipstick! Sales person said that "You never have to check the transmission fluid, just get it serviced every 30,000 miles".

Yea. Right!

i saw a montego the other day on the highway.

from a distance i couldn't tell what it was. i was also shocked when i read mercury montego from the decklid. i thought the vehicle looked damn good.

The montego is the better looking of the two versions. The 500 has way too much chrome in wierd places.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjon
    i saw a montego the other day on the highway.

from a distance i couldn't tell what it was. i was also shocked when i read mercury montego from the decklid. i thought the vehicle looked damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer
    The montego is the better looking of the two versions. The 500 has way too much chrome in wierd places.
    And I am of the other opinion that I like the exterior styling on the 500 better, but I like the two tone interior of the Mercury better. But that is just me. And since ours is an SE, it does not have the chrome on the mirrors - they are black like the rest of the car.
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

My Chief is currently driving one with the all wheel drive. His is black too but he doesn't have to worry about keeping it clean, he has people doing that for him. He really likes the car and it looks sharp.

He was driving a 2004 buick lesabre before that but didn't like it. So now I have the buick as one of my vehicles.

Just thought I would give a little update on the car now that we have almost 6000 miles on it. So far so good. Actually had it in for it's first service this past monday and had a TSB done for some shifting issues. The car feels much better and more responsive now!!! And we did a 700 mile trip this past weekend and it did great - except for the gas mileage of 23/mpg. Then again I was running right around 75mph if not a little more for most of the trip.

This past weekend we had the 4 of us in the car, including the baby in the car seat and stuff in the back for the 8 year old to do on the trip. That plus all of our luggage, a strolled, and a pack-n-play in the trunk with some room to spare. Definitely had room for it all.

And since the wife is out of town this week, I have been driving that instead of my Accord. Definitely a very nice change. I have gotten the seat where I want it and very nice ride for my daily commute of 100 miles round trip.

Defiinitely a car I would recommend for someone looking for a decent, roomy, family vehicle that is very reasonably priced. And we just got the SE. The SEL and Limited are even nicer. I would, however, wait until they come out with the 3.5L for some more power.
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

Nice Update!

Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric91Z
    Just thought I would give a little update on the car now that we have almost 6000 miles on it. So far so good. Actually had it in for it's first service this past monday and had a TSB done for some shifting issues. The car feels much better and more responsive now!!! And we did a 700 mile trip this past weekend and it did great - except for the gas mileage of 23/mpg. Then again I was running right around 75mph if not a little more for most of the trip.

This past weekend we had the 4 of us in the car, including the baby in the car seat and stuff in the back for the 8 year old to do on the trip. That plus all of our luggage, a strolled, and a pack-n-play in the trunk with some room to spare. Definitely had room for it all.

And since the wife is out of town this week, I have been driving that instead of my Accord. Definitely a very nice change. I have gotten the seat where I want it and very nice ride for my daily commute of 100 miles round trip.

Defiinitely a car I would recommend for someone looking for a decent, roomy, family vehicle that is very reasonably priced. And we just got the SE. The SEL and Limited are even nicer. I would, however, wait until they come out with the 3.5L for some more power.

Thread Information