Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ratchet shifters anyone?

Ratchet shifters anyone?

has anyone here ever had an automatic transmission with a ratchet shifter? If so, how did you like it?
    Last edited by BillyGman; 11-04-2005 at 03:30 AM.

Just a story

Just speaking from a one time experience. I got a chance to street race (as a passenger) in a built mustang. The guy is a friend of my wifes, and the car goes 10.70's on just motor, and 10.teens with NOS. At full throttle the engine roared so much my eyes vibrated and I couldn't see straight. He had a ratchet shift, and from what I saw, it was the easiest thing in the world to use. Minimal effort, minimal movment, and everything shifted and popped into gear quicky and easily. The only thing though, be careful when you launch, his car had so much power and torque, if he was holing onto his ratchet shifter when the lights dropped, he'd shift himself into second by accident.

As far as adding any big time technical help...sorry Billy...just thought I'd share my story.

-Mat
    2004 Black Mercury Marauder
    Trilogy Eaton Intercooled Supercharger #200
    483 RWHP 471 RWTQ @ 13.5 lbs of Boost 2.8" Pulley
    11.76 @ 116.25 1.65 60ft
    17,500 Miles

Quote Originally Posted by mpearce
    As far as adding any big time technical help...sorry Billy...just thought I'd share my story.

-Mat
    Mat, anything I can learn about this stuff is very helpfull my friend. Thankyou for sharing that with me, and for that piece of advice. Some of this current project of mine is new territory for me, and I can use all the help I can get. I'm trying to gain all the info I can. Right now I'm on a feeding frenzy of information about various drivetrain topics, so that I can execute my plan as efficiently as possible, in hopes that I'll encounter as few surprises as possible along the way.

This feeding frenzy mode is what I was in right before I chose the Trilogy S/Cer too. I'm sure there are several board members here who remember me pounding them with questions via telephone and e-mails about their S/Ced Marauders. And I'm glad that they put up with me, and were very helpful!!! All of their help enabled me to make educated decisions despite my former lack of experience with S/Cers in street driven vehicles.

Billy,
    B&M makes a ratchet shifter for late model (I think the cut off is 2000) Mustangs w/AODE transmissions that fit in the factory console. I have been interested in these but to lazy to call B&M to see if it might fit.
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Rachet shifter

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    has anyone here ever had an automatic transmission with a ratchet shifter? If so, how did you like it?
    Just put one in a car that I am building.(B&M) I was told that they work fine if you don't use in the rachet mode too often. They are fine if used occashionally as in racing, and not every day use. I have a crate motor in a l950 Buick 350hp 400lb tq. It's in the finishing stages and will know more when it is done.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_cop
    Just put one in a car that I am building.(B&M) I was told that they work fine if you don't use in the rachet mode too often. They are fine if used occashionally as in racing, and not every day use. I have a crate motor in a l950 Buick 350hp 400lb tq. It's in the finishing stages and will know more when it is done.
    Hmmm, sounds like an interesting project that you have in the works too. As far as the ratchet shifters though, I've been studying the B&M brand online catalogue, and thay have ratchet shifters that are always in ratchet mode, so I cannot see that being any problem for using all the time. They also do have a model that is less expensive that you can turn the ratchet mode on and off in. That must be like the one that you have.

billy i have a b/m prostick in the lightning...a pic of it can be seen here...

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread...hreadid=108861

i love it!!!
    former owner...2003 marauder black

vortech air/air reichard 3.4 pulley
    dr exhaust w/ mac stainless mufflers
    baer 14in brakes, stainless hoses
    4.30's
    31spline mosers, auburn pro, tfs girdle
    dynotech shaft
    305 nittos

sold!

Thanks for the info Paul. I didn't know you had tubbed out the wheel wells in your truck. That's some mean looking rubber you have under there. Since there isn't any gear indicator on that shifter, do you ever lose track of what gear you're in? I wanted to get the B&M "Pro Ratchet" shifter, but I'm leaning toward their "QuickSilver" shifter now, since it has a lighted gear indicator which is needed for night driving. The pro ratchet model has a gear indicator, but it isn't lighted like the QuickSilver one is.

there is a gear indicator...it is a strip sticker along side the handle...
    former owner...2003 marauder black

vortech air/air reichard 3.4 pulley
    dr exhaust w/ mac stainless mufflers
    baer 14in brakes, stainless hoses
    4.30's
    31spline mosers, auburn pro, tfs girdle
    dynotech shaft
    305 nittos

sold!

Quote Originally Posted by thePunisher
    there is a gear indicator...it is a strip sticker along side the handle...
    AAAAAHHH I see. I'll be on the telephone with the B&M company to talk with them about this stuff in about two weeks which will probably be when I'll be ready to place an order with them if things go as planned for me. The pro Ratchet shifter that I want doesn't have the gear selector that's lit, and I plan on driving this car at night, so I think I'm going to need that.That's why I might have to settle for the "Quick Silver" model. I appreciate your Input Paul. And let me know when you take that thing to the track!!

Quote Originally Posted by mpearce
    Just speaking from a one time experience. I got a chance to street race (as a passenger) in a built mustang. The guy is a friend of my wifes, and the car goes 10.70's on just motor, and 10.teens with NOS. At full throttle the engine roared so much my eyes vibrated and I couldn't see straight. He had a ratchet shift, and from what I saw, it was the easiest thing in the world to use. Minimal effort, minimal movment, and everything shifted and popped into gear quicky and easily. The only thing though, be careful when you launch, his car had so much power and torque, if he was holing onto his ratchet shifter when the lights dropped, he'd shift himself into second by accident.

-Mat
    Is this for the MM or for your new Project Billy?

Since we don't "shift" our MM's I don't see what the use for one would be in it !
    AzMarauder
    Sierra Vista, Arizona

2003 Marauder 300A
    Black
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial # 105
    Installed 9/30/2005 - 10/6/2005

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
    Detonator Yellow

1967 Ford Fairlane, 428CJ, 5spd, running dual quads.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    Can't speak to a ratchet but I can tell you that a CO2 shifter is the best. My friend Brian runs a 7 second 69 Camaro with one. But I have no idea if it will work with a AODE 4r70w.
    2005 GTO
    LS2, T-56, Diablo, SLP Strut Bar, GMM Ripshift, Taylor Battery Box, SLP Line Lock, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Russell SS Brakelines, NOS/NX Plate system 150, FJO Progressive Controller, SSBC Tri Piston Brakes, DBA Rotors, Kooks Long Tubes No Cats, NA
    534 RWHP

2003 MM
    Novi 1200SL, Addco F/R Sway Bars, Metco U/L C Arms, Kooks-Jet Hot, Flowmaster 40s /MagnaFlow custom Exhaust, Art Carr Trans, PI3000, FR 4:10, Zex, Hurst RC, SC
    457 RWHP

Okay guys, no this is not for my Marauder. And yes, you're right, there wouldn't be any need for a ratchet shifter in a Marauder. Atleast not a Marauder as we know it. My Marauder is great the way it is, and I wouldn't change it. The shifter I'm going to buy is for my new car project which will have a 4L80E transmission.

I don't have any need for a C02 shifter, since this will be a true street vehicle that will be run on 93 octane pump gas on and off the track just like my Marauder is. I haven't any desire for a trailer queen, nor a garage queen. this car will be my transportation for 2 or 3 days out of the week.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 11-05-2005 at 07:19 PM.

A new project, eh? I'll be back home in January. You've got a heater in that garage, right?
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial #0054
    Installed by Carfixer 10/16/2004

Tallboy's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy
    A new project, eh? I'll be back home in January. You've got a heater in that garage, right?
    Hopefully by January I'll have the drivetrain all in the car, and will be able to concentrate on the small details like tire and wheel choices, and bucket seats. But so far, things aren't going as planned, so who can tell what stage of the game I'll be at in January. Either way, I look forward to your visit my friend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information