Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silverstar - Why are 9007's white and H1's are blue?

Silverstar - Why are 9007's white and H1's are blue?

Greetings,
    I replaced my headlights with 9007 ST (silverstars) a few weeks ago. They look white when I drive at night.
    Last night I put in a set of H1 ST in the Fog Lamps.... they look very blue. When I drove to work this morning I turned on the fog lamps to see what they looked like and they cast a blue light on the road.
    Is it just a case of the light being concentrated in front of the car that makes them look more blue than the headlights or is there something else I am missing?
    They are an 'ebay special' and came in bubble wrap - no Sylvania container. They say 'Osram' and have a part number and 'ST' on the base so I am confident that are Silverstars...
    they are just very blue in color...
    Anybody else notice this?

Mine aren't like that. Both are the same white color. Call me a cynic but I think they're not SilverStars.
    '04 MARAUDER
    Born on 4/20/04 -- Foster Care on 5/11/04 -- Adopted on 01/27/05
    Heated Seats 6 Disc CD Changer Moonroof
    JLT CAI--Silverstars Heads/Fogs--SCT-9100
    SB IX - SB X - SB XIII - SB XIV - SB XL - SB XLIII
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

Silver stars always appear off-yellow

Your fogs are not Silverstars.

The Silverstars, however highly spoken of around here are not much better than OEM. They do not appear white, nor blue in comparison tests. You recieved a bulb that is likely a ZENON type bulb.

There are inexpensive alternatives to the Silverstar if you do indeed seek a brighter 'white/blue' hue in the light cast from the bulb.

JCWhitney catalogue carries a variety of bulb styles in all fitments. A set of headlamp Zenons are $9.99 each.

I use these in all of my bulb applications.
    2017 Niro

My silverstars are the same color. Atleast they were until I pulled my dash apart a few weeks ago, I guess an experience like that blows them out

I was contemplating on weather or not to buy the "silver stars" and asked around this board....waited....thinking... .waited some more....finally bought the lights...now I dont notice too much of a difference when driving around town...but the difference really becomes noticable when driving in unlit areas...IMO...much better than OEM lights...and if you see these lights comming at you they look really nice....sets the car apart from all the other head lights on the road....
    MM.NET Member #3943

11/24/04 -'04 Silver Birch , Moon Roof, charcoal Interior,
    12/25/05 - Lower grill Mod - Thanks DEFYANT, 12/29/05 - OEM Spoiler - blankenship aero
    01/06/06 - Vynal Shades - Executive Signs Ltd., 01/06/06 - Silver Stars - MM.net (thanks everyone)
    01/11/06 - Remote start alarm ( North Park Linc. Merc. ), 02/16/06 - Pro Gurard - Reinhart Automotive
    02/24/06 - JLT CAI/RAI - JLT Performance(Jay Tucker), 06/14/06 - Godshead logo locking valve caps (Wes)
    02/14/07 - XCAL2 tuned by Lidio

VEHICLES AND MILAGE :
    04 MARAUDER: 95,XXX (June 09) SOLD 1-28-14
    03 IMPALA: 126,XXX (June 09), Died Oct '11 143K
    01 SUBURBAN: 87,XXX (June 09) Traded in 9-22-12 123K
    07 SUBURBAN LT 4X4 84,XXX (Sept. '12)
    07 INFINITI G35 79,997 (Dec. '11) Her Ride!

Quote Originally Posted by SID210SA
    ...now I dont notice too much of a difference when driving around town...but the difference really becomes noticable when driving in unlit areas...IMO...much better than OEM lights...
    I think the exact same way, my wife on the other hand thinks I just wasted my money.
    '04 MARAUDER
    Born on 4/20/04 -- Foster Care on 5/11/04 -- Adopted on 01/27/05
    Heated Seats 6 Disc CD Changer Moonroof
    JLT CAI--Silverstars Heads/Fogs--SCT-9100
    SB IX - SB X - SB XIII - SB XIV - SB XL - SB XLIII
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

hitchhiker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZTAKER
    Your fogs are not Silverstars.

The Silverstars, however highly spoken of around here are not much better than OEM. They do not appear white, nor blue in comparison tests. You recieved a bulb that is likely a ZENON type bulb.

There are inexpensive alternatives to the Silverstar if you do indeed seek a brighter 'white/blue' hue in the light cast from the bulb.

JCWhitney catalogue carries a variety of bulb styles in all fitments. A set of headlamp Zenons are $9.99 each.

I use these in all of my bulb applications.
    Do you have the JCW part numbers for these?

Thanks,

Dave

Does anyone remember if the glass of their H1 Silverstar's were blue?
    The glass on mine were blue. They said OSRAM on the back, had a 5 digit number that started with 16 I beleive (wrote it down at home...16150 or something like that...) and had 'ST' after the number. They said 55W also...

They guy I bought them from on EBay has a perfect 100% rating. I would think that if he was shipping something other than Silverstars that someone else would have noticed it before....? I guess I'll stop at a parts store and see if what's in the package there looks to be the same color as mine.

Thanks.

My H1s are the same as the 9007ST headlights. I don't see blue on them. I really like the silverstars, I just bought a pair for my Honda.
    Ray

"87" Grand National

After having replaced my Silver Star H-1s in November, the left side blew last week. Two months for $15, not good. I decided to try to locate Hella bulbs that I used on my Focus. $23.07 to my door in three days. The Hella bulbs are the same color in the package as the Silver Stars. I have not installed them yet due to the weather. I won't be surprized if they appear the same once installed. I had really good luck with these on my Focus and the price is certainly better than the Silver Stars.
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

You Guys Need Pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozz
    Does anyone remember if the glass of their H1 Silverstar's were blue?
    The glass on mine were blue. They said OSRAM on the back, had a 5 digit number that started with 16 I beleive (wrote it down at home...16150 or something like that...) and had 'ST' after the number. They said 55W also...

They guy I bought them from on EBay has a perfect 100% rating. I would think that if he was shipping something other than Silverstars that someone else would have noticed it before....? I guess I'll stop at a parts store and see if what's in the package there looks to be the same color as mine.

Thanks.
    Check this out,...

Both of my Silverstars are as white as my hiney,...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MM2004; 01-27-2006 at 08:16 PM.

Ozz, you did not get genuine Sylvania SilverStars. It sounds like you got a pair of cheap knock-offs.

e-Bay is FULL of sellers with 100% satisfaction ratings that are nonetheless selling crap...like those 69-cent Radio Shack resistors people sell as "performance chips" for $10...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

hey MM2004, the bulbs in the picture look pretty blue to me. I would say that mine were that shade of blue as well. If I put them next to a 9007 ST bulb, the H1's glass is much bluer though.
    Thanks for posting the picture.

I am not sure what I have... unless there is someone out there making counterfeit bulbs with 'OSRAM H1 ST' on the bottom of the round metal base, I'm thinking I may have the real thing. Not sure why they didn't send them in the box. I figured it was to save shipping.

You know, this could be another thing... I cleaned all the winter road grime off the fog light lenses before I drove the car with the new bulbs. The headlights on the other hand were still covered in brown winter grime. I have noticed a distinct difference in light color after cleaning the headlight lenses... Perhaps this explains the difference?

Another Pic

See my post above for the pic added of the headlamp bulbs.

Mike.

IMHO, the H1s ST are NOT worth the money.
    They are only rated for ONE HUNDRED HOURS.
    That's right, 100 hours.
    http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/s...%20ST,%20%20ST

The week I purchased my Marauder, I replaced the 9007 and the H1
    with SilverStars, and I like the way the 9007s are brighter.

After replacing the H1s at least 3 times in the first year, and 4 times last year,
    I wrote to Sylvania to ask if I was doing something wrong.
    When I found out they were rated only 100 hours, I told them
    that I would no longer be buying SilverStar products.
    I drive everywhere WITH MY LIGHTS ON.
    Having a bulb that can't handle that, is not where I want to invest my money.
    The sylvania OEM H1 is about $5 and lasts a whole year...

BTW, the 9007 is rated for only 150 hours in low beam, 90 hours in High Beam,
    and I've been burning them for 2 years now.
    I'm going to change them, only because they do get dimmer over time.
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information