Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Speed High Frequency Noise

High Speed High Frequency Noise

Hello All,

When travelling at 80MPH and above do you hear a very high frequency noise. I am wondering if it could be caused by the valve stems or something on the front air dam could be the culprit.
    '03 Marauder
    Ford Wheel Locks
    OEM CD Changer
    Trunk Org
    Big ass scratch in driver front rim(gives it character)
    Another Big Ass Scratch On Rear Bumper (Even More Character)
    35% all around

When you look in your rear view, are there red and blue lights behind you?

Seriously, I've never heard anything. Where is the noise coming from? All around, front? back?

Turn everything off - radio, fan etc to narrow it down. It could be anything, it's kinda tough to disgnose something like this with a keyboard
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

I cant figure out where the noise is coming from since its such a high frequency and I am partial deaf in my left year. It is not related to the AC (since it sucks I usually use the window down method), I doubt it is the fan since I dont hear the noise in the same RPM range at slower speeds, it does get louder if I am close to a divider wall on the freeway (just bouncing more sound waves back my way), and its not electrical noise.
    '03 Marauder
    Ford Wheel Locks
    OEM CD Changer
    Trunk Org
    35% all around

Originally posted by engine23ccvfd
    Hello All,

When travelling at 80MPH and above do you hear a very high frequency noise.
    I really never paid it to much attention, mine does it too.
    It almost sounds like the gears in the transmission meshing together like in a supercharger, or the torque converter, coming from that area.
    All is fine here, just that high pitch whine at speeds. Anyone else ?
    Carlos
    '03 Marauder 300A
    • Built 8-23-02
    • TRADED IN

TripleTransAm Guest
    Tire noise? I have noticed these tires emit a specific kind of sound, one that I don't experience in my other cars with non BFG tires.

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    Tire noise? I have noticed these tires emit a specific kind of sound, one that I don't experience in my other cars with non BFG tires.
    That would make sense. I've had BFG T/A's that made kind of a 'slapping' sound at low speed, which became a high pitched whining at high speed. A change in tire pressure (2-5 pounds UP) made a difference.

I haven't noticed this in the MM though. But I don't drive anywhere that i can hear the sound of the car reflected back at me, such as a tunnel or overpass with solid divider.
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

Tire noise?
    I thought it could be something simple like what you said, because all of my prognosis is "AOK".
    Carlos
    '03 Marauder 300A
    • Built 8-23-02
    • TRADED IN

I don’t have one yet but I was privileged enough to drive one recently. I noted a high pitch whine in or under the center stack. I was informed it was the hydraulic pumps in the transmission.

After hearing that I pretty much dismissed it so I don’t recall if it made the noise constantly at cruising speed or just when shifts were necessary.
    Dave

TripleTransAm Guest
    The transmission thing sounds like a plausible reason. I've noticed that Ford auto transmissions since the early 80s were always noisier than others (maybe it's an overdrive-tranny-specific thing?). I find my MM's tranny is much quieter than those 80s whiners, but I gotta add that under WOT on the track, it does shriek up a storm!

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    engine23ccvfd and Gonzo50. I guess it's your wheel locks, since that's what you both have in common on your cars and are both experiencing this same phenomenon
    Member Number 32

An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

TripleTransAm Guest
    LOL! Actually, I was going to suggest it was something to do with those damned noisy 300As...

(on a quiet night, if you listen carefully, you can hear the sound of your wiring harnesses being sliced through... that, and Fourth Horseman's noisy rear suspension...)

Hmmm wheel locks could be. I think I will put the factory lugs back on for a day or two.

I really dont think its the tranny the noise doesnt get any louder at a 100MPH than it does at 80 but it does have a higher pitch....maybe if I go fast enough it will raise above 22,000khz and I wont be able to hear it anymore
    '03 Marauder
    Ford Wheel Locks
    OEM CD Changer
    Trunk Org
    35% all around

Normaly that High piched noise comes from the passanger seat... ok, the pasanger.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Normaly that High piched noise comes from the passanger seat... ok, the pasanger
    Holy crap I am not even going to touch that one!!!!
    '03 Marauder
    Ford Wheel Locks
    OEM CD Changer
    Trunk Org
    35% all around

I get the high pitched whine at 80mph too. It sounds like it's coming from the driver's window weather stripping to me. I dont have wheel locks so I know it's not that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information