Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EATC self test

Question EATC self test

I am in need of some guicance regarding the ETAC self-test. I have attempted to get my system into the self test mode a number of times, without success. I am aware of the procedure as I read the instructions in the service manual and confirmed it with information in a link here on the site.

What do I need to do, Hum stairway to heaven as i hold the floor and off buttons, then let go and hit the automatic button during the chorus????

Any guidance will be appreciated. Additionally, my problem is no hot air coming out of the system even though the air blows through the correct vents and the blower works fine. Im sure this is a Heater Blend Door Actuator problem, but confirmation would be a big help.

Thanks.
    Sounnder

It sounds like you're doing it right, here is the self test procedure right from the manual:

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

I did the test and the pulse tracer goes around. Then everything is displayed on the screen. No trouble codes. The BCM tested okay. Does this mean I need a new fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Canadasvt View Post
    I did the test and the pulse tracer goes around. Then everything is displayed on the screen. No trouble codes. The BCM tested okay. Does this mean I need a new fan?
    Is there air coming out of the vents?
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by sounnder View Post
    I am in need of some guicance regarding the ETAC self-test. I have attempted to get my system into the self test mode a number of times, without success. I am aware of the procedure as I read the instructions in the service manual and confirmed it with information in a link here on the site.

What do I need to do, Hum stairway to heaven as i hold the floor and off buttons, then let go and hit the automatic button during the chorus????

Any guidance will be appreciated. Additionally, my problem is no hot air coming out of the system even though the air blows through the correct vents and the blower works fine. Im sure this is a Heater Blend Door Actuator problem, but confirmation would be a big help.

Thanks.
    I'd try burping the system first.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Is there air coming out of the vents?
    No air coming out, but vents feel cool with A/C on.

No air coming out, but vents feel cool with A/C on.
    Tap the BCM.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Taped it and then replaced it with new one like I did 4 years ago. That didn't fix it so I'm thinking blower motor would be the only other cause?

Taped it and then replaced it with new one like I did 4 years ago. That didn't fix it so I'm thinking blower motor would be the only other cause?
    Verify power to blower.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

I have voltmeter. What would be the best way to verify? I failed grade 9 electrical class

I have voltmeter. What would be the best way to verify? I failed grade 9 electrical class
    First check the fuse for the blower motor.

Test the connector at the blower motor with the EATC set to low temp and high blower.

If there is no power you might have a bad EATC.

If there is power the blower motor is bad.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

I'd say its a bad blower motor. Had a similar problem on my 2000 Grand Marquis recently. If I unplugged the blower control module and installed a fuse in the connector instead the blower ran. But that was only temporary, eventually it would blow the fuse. I bought a new blower control module, but it didn't fix it. In the end a new blower motor resolved the issue.
    2003 Silver Marauder - Forged Iron Engine, Supercharged, SW Exhaust
    2002 White F250 7.3 - Turbo

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for the help. Finally had nice cooler day on Saurday to properly tackle this problem, during the week it got up to 39C with the humidity in the Toronto area
    Hooked up new BCM with no change so kept old one in. Checked power to blower, AOK. Picked up new blower motor at Canadian Tire and everything is working fine now.
    Again, thank you.

Did the test 3 times yesterday. Every time I did it, I would get the digital tracing pattern for about 15-20 seconds and then "888" would pop up with all the digital display symbols (defrost symbol, max symbol, fan symbol, floor symbol, etc....all of them) illuminated around it. Does anyone know what this signifies?
    2003 Black 300A
    Adopted: 4/26/14

Mods:
    Mo's Tune - K&N CAI - 4.10 FOMOCO gears - Reische 170* T-stat - NGK TR6 Plugs - Flowmaster 40s - MuscleMerc's 3" Fuel Filter Mod - Addco Front and Rear Sway Bars - TCE SS Brake Lines - Cooper RS3-G1 - Factory Spoiler - SS Bumper Inserts

888 means all is well, your system passed.

For OP, Sounnder. Key on (motor running or not) momentarily press OFF and FLOOR together then immediately press AUTOMATIC. Just tried mine, works every time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information