Thread: Strut vs Shock Resurrected

Strut vs Shock Resurrected

In light of the information I read in previous posts regarding subject, I have a delima.

My left front strut/shock is bad. Carmax extended warranty is still in effect but shocks are not covered. The warranty covers struts and the documentation lays this out very plainly.
    When I initially took the car to the dealer, Carmax denied the claim and supported this by stating our cars have shocks, not struts.
    As I am typing this, my car is in the shop for replacement of OEMs with KNYs and alignment. The guy doing the install says by definition it is a strut, not a shock.
    So, do you think I should dispute the denial with Carmax and try to get re-imbursed? Others may not feel the same way, but I have always had good experiences with Carmax paying claims but this one seems to be a gray area......opinions please. TKS!
    Last edited by wx4caster; 10-22-2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: sorry for double posting
    S O L D

'04 SB MM
    Build date:1/15/04, Delivery date:6/5/04, Adopted 06/09/09 Mileage - 50K as of 07/09/12, #472 of 997,CAI, DR SCT3 Tune, FRPP 4.10s,Borla XS Pro, Megs delete tips

Quote Originally Posted by wx4caster View Post
    In light of the information I read in previous posts regarding subject, I have a delima.

My left front strut/shock is bad. Carmax extended is still in effect but shocks are not covered. The warranty covers struts and the documentation lays this out very plainly.
    When I initially took the car to the dealer, Carmax denied the claim and supported this by stating our cars have shocks, not struts.
    As I am typing this, my car is in the shop for replacement of OEMs with KNYs and alignment. The guy doing the install says by definition it is a strut, not a shock.
    So, do you think I should dispute the denial with Carmax and try to get re-imbursed? Others may not feel the same way, but I have always had good experiences with Carmax paying claims but this one seems to be a gray area......opinions please. TKS!
    As posted ion the other thread:

Probably not what you want to hear but......

The Ford Service manual refers to them as the "shock & spring assembly".

Most of theses are considered struts:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=cars+...ed=0CEsQ_AUoAQ
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I tried the same thing with my esp...didn't work

^^^ +1

A shock with a spring on it does not make it a strut. Ours are simply "coil over" shocks. A strut has the ability to support sideways loads not along its axis of compression and eliminates the need for an upper suspension arm. This means that a strut must have a more rugged design, with mounting points near its middle for attachment of such loads. The dead give away is that it doesn't connect to the steering "knuckle" and the MM has an upper control arm.

My '91 Camaro has front struts, and they are separate from the front springs. Just to show there are different designs that add to the confusion.
    Don't bring skittles to a gunfight.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog_gunner View Post
    ^^^ +1

A shock with a spring on it does not make it a strut. Ours are simply "coil over" shocks. A strut has the ability to support sideways loads not along its axis of compression and eliminates the need for an upper suspension arm. This means that a strut must have a more rugged design, with mounting points near its middle for attachment of such loads. The dead give away is that it doesn't connect to the steering "knuckle" and the MM has an upper control arm.

My '91 Camaro has front struts, and they are separate from the front springs. Just to show there are different designs that add to the confusion.
    ^^^^^ What he said. ^^^^^

I think alot of us have tossed around the term "strut" for the front suspension components given the fact that they're a different configuration than the rears, but you're correct, they're not true struts.

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Carmax is wrong.

While both shocks and struts are "dampers", it is how they're mounted that makes the difference. One has the damper and spring assembled as a single unit and is a integral structural part of the suspension while the other has the damper and spring mounted independently of each other. If you remove the strut, the car will not support itself, while it WILL do so without shocks.

This has been the commonly-accepted definition of a "strut" for decades, although it may not be a legally enforceable one.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Have the shop that is working on your car talk to the warranty comapny.
    ┼∞█The Black Bomber█∞┼

Aftermarket Sun Roof, Spoiler and Heated Seats, BC4E Dead Pedal
    PERFORMANCE - ADCO Front and Rear Sway Bars, K&N FIPK Air Intake,
    XCal2 Tuned by DR
    LIGHTS - Self-built HID projectors, True 3000K Osram Foglights
    SOUND SYSTEM - Infinity Reference Speakers All Around, Infinity Reference 4 Channel 465W AMP, 2 10" Audiobahn Subs in Enclosed/ported box
    APPEARANCE - Tints w/Windshield Eyelid, SS Inserts, S55 Tail Light Treatment, Full Interior LED Upgrade w/Guages and Cluster, CMS Gods Head Conversion, Custom Floor Mats From CarMotorsports, satin pedals, self-built black and silver pinstriped interior trim and accents

CURRENT PROJECTS - Doing what Ford should have done and gutting the interior...Stay tuned. It's a rather large project.

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Carmax is wrong.

While both shocks and struts are "dampers", it is how they're mounted that makes the difference. One has the damper and spring assembled as a single unit and is a integral structural part of the suspension while the other has the damper and spring mounted independently of each other. If you remove the strut, the car will not support itself, while it WILL do so without shocks.

This has been the commonly-accepted definition of a "strut" for decades, although it may not be a legally enforceable one.
    No what we have are coil over shocks or sometimes called spring seat shocks. Yes they carry the weight of the car through the spring seat, but they are not part of the suspension linkage. So while if you remove them the car won't be able to support its weight and will drop to the stops the wheel will still be full located by the control arms. You could drive the car and steer it if you had too with them removed assuming tires no larger than stock. Wouldn't really be safe at any speed but you could certainly move it around the driveway/shop.

Just because the McPherson style of strut front suspension has it's spring concentric with and its seat is an integral part of the strut does not mean that having a spring around the dampener constitutes a suspension strut.

You can remove the struts from a Fox body and the suspension will still hold the weight of the car, but you'll be at the max camber the lower ball joint can handle, or tires mashed into the body as there will be nothing locating the upper end of the spindle/steering knuckle. If you tried to drive or steer the car like that the wheels would flop all over. Its springs are mounted on the lower control arm yet it is a strut suspension system because the dampener forms part of the system that locates the wheel.

I appreciate the replies. I'll not pursue the warranty. Besides I like the feel of the KNYs over OEMs. Just glad to have the driveability back.
    S O L D

'04 SB MM
    Build date:1/15/04, Delivery date:6/5/04, Adopted 06/09/09 Mileage - 50K as of 07/09/12, #472 of 997,CAI, DR SCT3 Tune, FRPP 4.10s,Borla XS Pro, Megs delete tips

Quote Originally Posted by EMAS View Post
    No what we have are coil over shocks or sometimes called spring seat shocks. Yes they carry the weight of the car through the spring seat, but they are not part of the suspension linkage. So while if you remove them the car won't be able to support its weight and will drop to the stops the wheel will still be full located by the control arms. You could drive the car and steer it if you had too with them removed assuming tires no larger than stock. Wouldn't really be safe at any speed but you could certainly move it around the driveway/shop.
    I didn't realise there were different flavours of suspensions using a strut configuration. I thought it was either "spring & shock" or "strut". Thanks for the clarification EMAS.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

A Ford engineer designed the MacPherson strut

1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

I read the first couple of replies not all but here is the real deal. Marauder up front has a McPherson style SHOCK assembly and rear a standard shock assembly. A strut is the upper suspension mounting point and turning/pivot point, being the Marauder has an upper control arm (which is the upper mounting point) with a ball joint (upper turning/pivot point) then it is a shock because it's only function is damper. In fact it's not a "coil over" as was stated either, a shock or strut with the spring mounted too it is called McPherson style. McPherson was a race car driver waaaaaaaay back in the day (a driver for Ford) and he designed that style to save space. A good example of a real coil over is a 60's Mustang where the spring sits on top of the upper arm.
    FRPP dealer owner of SpartaPerformance.com
    We are an authorized independent AMSOIL dealer.

Earle S. MacPherson

1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Thread Information