Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map Light Bulb Replacement???

FLA RAUD FAN Guest

Question Map Light Bulb Replacement???

Ok guys', this is a minor job... but it is not in the Owners manual. I can't figure out how to get to the map light bulbs in the overhead console. I have the longer console in the 03 MM. This might seem like a dufus question but I have tried several ways but can't get to the damn things... I'm worried that I will break something. I'm sure one of you will be able to tell me and it will probably be very easy once I kow the proper way. Thanks in advance!
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by FLA RAUD FAN
    Ok guys', this is a minor job... but it is not in the Owners manual. I can't figure out how to get to the map light bulbs in the overhead console. I have the longer console in the 03 MM. This might seem like a dufus question but I have tried several ways but can't get to the damn things... I'm worried that I will break something. I'm sure one of you will be able to tell me and it will probably be very easy once I kow the proper way. Thanks in advance!
    Jonathan
    I have no clue how to access the bulb, but wouldn't something like this be covered by the waranty?
    Sactown

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    You have to remove the whole console. There is a detailed procedure described in the Service Manual. Sactown is right, if it's a case of them not working, take it to the dealer. While there ask them to print out the description of how to remove and replace the overhead console

Duh !

What brilliant lad of an engineer designed a console that must be removed to re-lamp? I really wonder sometimes if they give any thought to the poor owners and service-people that have to deal with the ramifications of their designs.
    ============================== ===
    Forget directions, I need to file a flight plan

Quote Originally Posted by gja
    What brilliant lad of an engineer designed a console that must be removed to re-lamp? I really wonder sometimes if they give any thought to the poor owners and service-people that have to deal with the ramifications of their designs.
    So you're telling me you can't pop out that lens to replace the bulbs?
    That's dumb.

2003 Mercury Marauder - 300A (Born 9/02, Purchased 1/16/04)
    • 1 Coil Cut Off Front Springs & Rear Air Suspension Lowered
    • PIAA Xtreme White 9007's
    • Red Reflective "MARAUDER" Inserts
    • JLT Performance Intake
    • Accufab Throttle Body
    • SCT-1725 Tuned
    • Borla Mufflers

Well....

From the previous posts, that is what others are saying.
    If that is true I will be re-lamping it with LEDs so I never have to deal with it again after the originals blow.
    Forget directions, I need to file a flight plan

Sometimes I think that engineers intentionally design things that way so that you will have to bring the car back to the dealer to pay for work to be done.
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

FLA RAUD FAN Guest

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by RCSignals
    You have to remove the whole console. There is a detailed procedure described in the Service Manual. Sactown is right, if it's a case of them not working, take it to the dealer. While there ask them to print out the description of how to remove and replace the overhead console
    Thanks RC I noticed today that there are 2 screws in the sunglass compartment and another up front by the windshield. The bulbs are ok so it is not a warranty thing. They are sooo bright I wanted to try some green or red bulbs to see what that would be like!
    I guess as cars get more complicated, something like changing a bulb must be complicated too.
    Thanks, Jonathan

Hey, Fla Raud Fan, after you take the console out, please let us know how it went in case there are any unexpected wires that fall out, etc. More info is better for the collective database.
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

FLA RAUD FAN Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Hey, Fla Raud Fan, after you take the console out, please let us know how it went in case there are any unexpected wires that fall out, etc. More info is better for the collective database.
    Will do!!
    Jonathan

FLA RAUD FAN Guest

Thumbs down

Just removed all visible screws and the overhead console won't budge!! It moves a bit more but there are probably some snaps in certain areas etc. but,I am still hesitant to pry on it for fear of breaking it. If someone has access to the service manual please post the procedure for removing the overhead console. I will check the thread a bit later and see what the wrench guys say.
    JP

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA RAUD FAN
    Just removed all visible screws and the overhead console won't budge!! It moves a bit more but there are probably some snaps in certain areas etc. but,I am still hesitant to pry on it for fear of breaking it. If someone has access to the service manual please post the procedure for removing the overhead console. I will check the thread a bit later and see what the wrench guys say.
    JP
    it is held in by clips. you don't want to just pull it down in any fashion, as you'll likely break the clips. Follow the procedure in the Shop Manual and you should be fine.

You may need a Torx screwdriver to get access to some of the bulbs. Be careful of the wiring for the compass.

Hmmm.... and I was going to suggest the proverbial ball peen hammer
    "Let's Roll", Todd Beamer, UA Flt 93, 09/11/2001. Never Forget!

FLA RAUD FAN Guest

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by RCSignals
    it is held in by clips. you don't want to just pull it down in any fashion, as you'll likely break the clips. Follow the procedure in the Shop Manual and you should be fine.

You may need a Torx screwdriver to get access to some of the bulbs. Be careful of the wiring for the compass.
    RC
    That's just it.....I don't have the shop manual!!!! If someone here doesn't post the procedure I guess I'll make a trip to the friendly local LM dealer.
    JP

FLA RAUD FAN Guest

Wink

Ok guys, Carfixer was nice enough to e-mail me the service manual instructions, and once I received them I was able to remove the console with no problems. I have replaced the bulbs with 2 green bulbs and will find out tonight if the change was worthwhile or if I need to go back to the originals.
    It is nice to have this site and to be able to get info from all the good members that we have. Thanks Claude.
    JP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information