Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SW headers, N/A cars - dyno tune or nah?

Quote Originally Posted by a_d_a_m View Post
    I don't have the money to drop on headers AND a tune, especially around this time of year. It's not that it won't happen, just wouldn't happen right away. In the meantime, the sound would be a nice addition...
    Call me tomorrow on my cell to discuss.

914-582-6262

Sounds good.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

I personally would never run LTs without a tune. A few hundred bucks is much cheaper than a new engine.

Tune tune tune to take advantage of new flow characteristics. At the very least need the primary O2 sensor response time requirements increased to account slower system response due to lower gas temps. I installed "spark plug anti-foulers" (haha) for the secondary O2's to fix the catalyst efficiency CEL. Other than that, Im Eaton swapped so my $0.02 is really only worth like $0.015
    2004 Silver Birch w/moonroof. "Isabelle"

Eaton swapped summer/fall 2015 with all the gooddies, tune by the one-and-only Marty-O +2psi pulley, Steigemeyer stage 6 port, SWLT, custom ss exhaust, Borla ProXS, Addco sway bars, TCE s/s brake hoses, Hawk HPS pads, Zack big brak kit, J-mod, battery in trunk, full custom audio (never used, blower whine sounds better)

To do list:
    HID headlights, LED interior/exterior, courtesy "3-flash" turn signals, widen wheels, rear deck wing, marauder stencil on cmhsl? bumper cover inserts? deck lid, steering whee, hood liner godshead, more power!

"O2 transport delay" needs to be raised in the tune for optimal efficiency. Unless there's something wrong or you're already running on the ragged edge, it isn't mission critical. Talk to Marty, he'll steer you right!

Quote Originally Posted by dmjarosz View Post
    At the very least need the primary O2 sensor response time requirements increased to account slower system response due to lower gas temps.

No, with LTs, it actually takes longer for the exhaust pulse that left the engine to get to the O2 sensor than in it's original position.. It's a distance thing. You can actually turn the O2 internal heater up if you want also.

I did a bunch of bolt on's and custom exhaust (not headers) and had my Marauder dyno tuned many years ago and it was well worth the money. Real seat of the pants improvement in performance.

Talked to Marty on the phone today...got some good info and think I may go with the no-cat headers (I am emissions exempt), factory H/muffs/res tips, and mail tune for now.

Just need to make sure my holiday bonus check isn't a 'jelly of the month club' membership before I pull the trigger.

Based on what I'm reading, a lot of the pros seem to like reusing the factory studs...mine are sorta rusty. Seeing conflicting info - some hating on the SW-supplied bolts, others saying it's fine. Some like the FRPP locking bolts, others hating them. Advice here is appreciated.

Will definitely be using factory gaskets.
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Mine has the supplied bolts installed. Haven't had any backing out issues or anything like that. I also didn't install mine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SW headers, N/A cars - dyno tune or nah?

Quote Originally Posted by a_d_a_m View Post
    Talked to Marty on the phone today...got some good info and think I may go with the no-cat headers (I am emissions exempt), factory H/muffs/res tips, and mail tune for now.

Just need to make sure my holiday bonus check isn't a 'jelly of the month club' membership before I pull the trigger.

Based on what I'm reading, a lot of the pros seem to like reusing the factory studs...mine are sorta rusty. Seeing conflicting info - some hating on the SW-supplied bolts, others saying it's fine. Some like the FRPP locking bolts, others hating them. Advice here is appreciated.

Will definitely be using factory gaskets.

I’ve done a few header installs and have had great luck just using new 8mm studs and factory lock nuts. They sell 10 packs for about $12 at all auto part stores, either Dorman or Help brand, that’s all I use. You could also splurge on Stainless studs online, I just didn’t bother because of easy to grab locally. Besides, mine isn’t driven in snow.

You will need to cut a couple down on the passenger side but that’s easy. So far I’ve yet to break an old stud. Been lucky.. When they snap in half it’s normally right at the face of the manifold. Plenty of meat to double nut it and remove. Helpful hint, try to tighten it till it cracks loose, then walk it on out.

And yes, factory gaskets.

On a side note, I went cat less for a year or so and couldn’t take the stank! Tbone tried as well and went back to cats! These engines wreak..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that stank may be something I need to consider.

I used these, I highly recommend factory style studs, no reason to get overly fancy here.

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-4-6-5-4-.../dp/B000CQ21CM

If you do snap off the EGR line I'd recommend replacing with this:
    https://modd.me/product/flexible-sta...egr-extension/

Worked like a charm when I put SW headers on my car and is much cheaper/easier to work with compared to the rigid factory one.

Quote Originally Posted by crownvic97 View Post
    I used these, I highly recommend factory style studs, no reason to get overly fancy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Chrome View Post
    If you do snap off the EGR line I'd recommend replacing with this:
    https://modd.me/product/flexible-sta...egr-extension/
    Noted on both suggestions; thanks!

Unboxed the headers yesterday.

I am not a welder, but the EGR bung weld has me a bit annoyed. This may not be the proper term, but there is 'spatter' on the inside of the pipe (basically just looks like metal got hot and sprayed through open gaps into the inside of the pipe...yeah...like I said I'm not a welder so I don't know what this is called!). I can and will file it down, and it's not going to prevent the install from happening, but for the price, I don't feel like I should have to do basic finish work.

Otherwise they appear to be as good or better quality than the Kooks on my Vic (which doesn't have such spatter inside).

Ordering from Marty was insanely easy, and a pleasant experience. Thank you again, good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by crownvic97 View Post

I used these stud kits as well.

I've also reused the factory gaskets on both my marauders with no leaks. If you're a stickler for new parts, buy new OEM gaskets, they work great.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

I actually installed new OE gaskets about 30k miles ago when I lost compression on 8. I bet they'd be fine. But...cheap as they are, though, I think I'll skip reusing and buy new ones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information