Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: longer milleage panther, Transmission flush & fluid change

Quote Originally Posted by stryker View Post
    I will go to Pep Boys to buy the Tranny cooler I yesterday buy two qts of Castrol MerconV, the transmission pan I will buy increase to two qts more but I will not touch the existing oil to avoid become malfunctioning (shudder & slip) but I'll change the tranny filter. once again many thanks to CTRLRAVEN, MASSACRE, SC CHEESEHEAD, JIMMYXR7, FASTBLACKMERC, A_D_A_M, RFOVERLORD, for you contributions and help I will keep updated all you about the results in the thread of my adopted Panther. :racebanana:
    You do know that when you swap pans you'll lose all the fluid in the pan?

Buy more fluid and replace all that comes out when you swap the pan.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by stryker View Post
    I will not touch the existing oil to avoid become malfunctioning (shudder & slip) but I'll change the tranny filter.
    You have that backwards...NOT changing the fluid will eventually cause the dreaded torque converter clutch shudder.

If you're installing a new higher-capacity pan, it should have a drain plug, so you can do periodic drain & fills much more easily. A normal drain & fill takes just under 4 quarts, so with your new pan it should be 6.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    You have that backwards...NOT changing the fluid will eventually cause the dreaded torque converter clutch shudder.

Actually, stryker is correct on this ^^^^^^

In high mileage Panther transmissions, if the fluid is not changed on a regular basis (like his with unknown service history), it can actually make the car slip/shudder worse if the fluid is changed. It's the darndest thing. That is why he is concerned about it and doesn't want to disturb the trans fluid too much.
    Ex Panther Owner

That's only *potentially* true if the fluid is badly oxidized and contaminated, and even then is more anecdotal than fact. People just assume that the fluid change caused the failure since it was the most recent thing done, when in reality the transmission failed due to abuse/neglect and would have done so even if the fluid were not changed.
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 04-14-2011 at 08:09 AM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I changed my fluid the night before going to Louisville, pretty much in the dark. I could not get the new filter to seat properly. I finally crawled out, got a flashlight and saw why: The round gasket on the old filter did not drop out with the old filter, it stayed in place. Crawled out, got needle nose pliers, pulled the old gasket out, slapped the new filter in, bolted up the pan (reused old gasket), poured in about 3-4 quarts of new fluid, good to go. Also, I cleaned the pan with brakklean as recommended by a 'member' here. Shined the crap out of it.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Here is the cooler with kit I buy to modify, I was expected were more bigger but the other models was smaller than this. next part I have in schedule to buy is the extended capacity transmission pan with drain, I speak with Dennis reinhart and he give a good price, other parts to get is the tranny filter and a few qts of Mercon V, I found a Ford house parts were they sale the Motrocraft MerconV, I check the color and smell of the existing oil and the color is not brown and don't smell to burned, either way I only will replace 4 qts plus two when I installed the new pan will be 6 qts.

stryker go with B&M cooler you won't regret it brother my dad is from ponce rip 09/10/08

Quote Originally Posted by dbc1965 View Post
    stryker go with B&M cooler you won't regret it brother my dad is from ponce rip 09/10/08
    I will do a search about that B&M tranny cooler and Mang am sorry for the loss of your dad I know what you feel I lost mine in Feb-11-2002 but I still feel if it was today.
    GOLD P74 INTERCEPTOR, A NEW PANTHER IN TOWN.

Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    I changed my fluid the night before going to Louisville, pretty much in the dark. I could not get the new filter to seat properly. I finally crawled out, got a flashlight and saw why: The round gasket on the old filter did not drop out with the old filter, it stayed in place. Crawled out, got needle nose pliers, pulled the old gasket out, slapped the new filter in, bolted up the pan (reused old gasket), poured in about 3-4 quarts of new fluid, good to go. Also, I cleaned the pan with brakklean as recommended by a 'member' here. Shined the crap out of it.
    Justbob did it for me. I could not get at it. Plus, I could not see as I am blind without my glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Unknown service record...........

I'd replace all the fluids to start from a known point.

The bucket method:
    1. Get enough Mercron V fluid to replace it all.
    2. Get a funnel for the tranny dipstick tube.
    3. Get a 5 gallon bucket.
    4. Disconnect the line from the tranny to the cooler.
    5. Place the line in a bucket.
    6. Run the car, the fluid will pump ot.
    7. While the fluid is pumping out you need to add fluid thru the dipstick tube so the tranny doesn't run dry.
    8. When all the fluid is exchanged, stop the car.
    9. Reconnect the cooler line.
    10. Top off the tranny fluid.

Since you can damage the tranny by running it dry, I'd find a shop that has a machine that can change the fluid.

BTW.... Only use the type of fluid recommended in the owners manual. Marauders use ONLY Mercron V fluid.
    Regarding Step 4, I am seeing 2 Cooler Lines that look like they go from the transmission to the Cooler, which 1 do I take off? Or does 1 go the Cooler and the other goes to the Radiator?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information