Thread: 31-spline swap-in parts?

31-spline swap-in parts?

My spider gears are on their way out (heavy galling, not going to last much longer), and I'm looking for a solution.

A few other threads mention swapping in 31-spline axle/side gears, spider gears and axles as a direct drop in. My questions are:

1. Has anyone confirmed this to be actually doable?
    1. From where to source brand new gears? Vendors & part numbers?
    1. What vehicles can I use to cross-reference for the axles, either new or used? Part numbers?
    1. What vehicles can I source used gears from? Part numbers?

No guesses please, I'm looking for the specifics that are not really clear in the other threads.

Did you look at the sticky thread in the DIY forum? Parts list and all
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

31 spline axles from mid 05 -11 Grand Marquis or Crown Vic are the correct length. The 31 spline spider gears do not work in the 28 spline carrier they are bigger and the cross pin which goes through the spider gears is bigger. 28 spline cross pin is .750, 31 spline is .875.Any 8.8 31 spline carrier will work in the Marauder housing. I'll have to dig but I think I have a set of Marauder specific 28 spline spider gears & a complete Marauder posi.

31-spline swap-in parts?

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Did you look at the sticky thread in the DIY forum? Parts list and all
    That sticky replaces the carrier itself. But a few members mentioned swapping in just the spider gears. Let me dig up the posts...

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...ink_source=app

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...ink_source=app

Looks like just one guy saying it's possible. [mention]justbob [/mention] , everyone says it's not possible - how sure are you, bud?
    Last edited by GetMeMyStogie; 08-07-2024 at 08:16 PM.

Post above says 31 spline spider gears do not fit in 28 spline carrier. I would change it all out. Mine was changed at Mo's Speed Shop in 2014
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

The Marauder has spider gears that are specific to only the Marauder. No other spider gears 28 or 31 spline fit the Marauder carrier and 31 spline spiders only fit 31 spline carriers due to the size of the center pin. You need to change the carrier if you want to put in 31 spline axles.

Is it really worth it economically to try and rebuild the stock diff with 31 spline spider gears? What mustangeddie says is right, for whatever reason the Marauder had its own unique set of spider gears that weren't used in any other Ford. Either buy a full fresh 31 spline Cobra/GT500 trak-lok from Ford, or if you really want to pinch a penny and do this on the cheap, find a factory tow package 95-01 Explorer which has a 31 spline 8.8 rear end and should have a 3.73 trak-lok unit. You'd need to get a clutch pack kit to rebuild the LSD at that point I am sure.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

I replaced mine with a Detroit Locker and changed my axels to 31 spline at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The carbon clutches and upgraded S-spring are about $160, you can get a whole 31 spline trac-lok diff on Ebay for $269 already assembled.

LINK>>>>>> Ford Performance 8.8" 31 Spline Rear Traction Lok Differential Carbon Plates | eBay

You can install an OEM clutch-type differential, as has been mentioned. They work well and seem to be long lasting.

Otherwise, you can make a much more permanent repair. by installing an Eaton Detroit Trutrac or an Eaton Detroit Locker. They do not wear out (no friction plate clutches). The "Locker" is more for racing (it is required in NASCAR competition), but is streetable. The Trutrac is much more street friendly, and is a true limited slip differential.

Never ever never use 28 spline axles where 31 spline are available ...

re:
    https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catal...ferential.html
    Last edited by GreekGod; 08-24-2024 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added info
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Correction: I have a Eaton Detroit
    Trutrack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information