Thread: AC mod and clutch plate spacing

AC mod and clutch plate spacing

Hey all,
    I put in an 8 rib belt and pulleys on my 03 MM. This meant replacing the 6 rib AC pulley with an 8 rib pulley, which I did.

This was in fall of ‘23 when AC wasnt needed, so I never tried it until…

Yesterday I turned on the AC and got no cooling. The cars idle was rising and falling. I turned it off and got home.

I checked the clutch plate air gap with a feeler and got > .75 mm.

Apparently the 8 rib pulley changed the spacing. There are 2 washers between the clutch plate and the pulley, so I will take one out.

But before I start this work I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or one like it and did they have any advice? I might be missing something.
    thanks
    -KK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Silver Birch. Rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. Upgraded to 8 rib belt to reduce slip, July-Nov '23. Car broke during tune with Marty Feb '24. Running again May '24. Still needs tune.

An update..
    I ordered a clutch plate removal tool for 14$ off ebay. It arrived promptly , but unfortunately my clutch plate is non OEM, and the tool is designed for an OEM clutch plate.
    So, I put my power ratchet w/socket on the nut that holds the plate on, gave it repeated zaps, and off the nut came.
    There was one washer/spacer on the spindle. I removed it, & reattached the clutch plate.
    The AC now works in all operating conditions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Silver Birch. Rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. Upgraded to 8 rib belt to reduce slip, July-Nov '23. Car broke during tune with Marty Feb '24. Running again May '24. Still needs tune.

Thread Information