Thread: Is marauder steering different than crown vic / grand marquis / town car?

Is marauder steering different than crown vic / grand marquis / town car?

Hello,
    I recently bought a 2003 mercury marauder and the steering seems pretty stiff. I also have a Lincoln Town Car (and I had a Crown Vic) and steering is way lighter in those cars.
    Should the Marauder steering be stiffer, or is it something wrong with the one I bought?

The steering linkage upper and lower can bind over time.when I replaced mine I also changed out the steering fluid.
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

The steering ratio for the Marauder is different than the CV, GM etc. Can't remember by how much, but a quick Google search can answer it if you're interested. Check the linkage to make sure there isn't something binding it up. I don't think the rack is available any longer, but I seem to remember people taking it apart and replacing the seals. I'm not sure if this is an easy job or a PITA. Also, as a side make sure the tires are at proper pressure as low inflation can mimic your symptoms. JM2C

The previous owner drove it with overfilled power steering fluid, I corrected the level but it didn't help.

There are some points that require more force to rotate the steering wheel and it's not symmetrical - for example a quick sharp right turn is stiffer in some points, the left sharp turn behaves differently: is in general more stabilized.

I think my steering shaft might be a little bit rusty - I sprayed some WD-40 and PB Blaster on it a few times and it seemed to improve a little bit but it is still somewhat stiff, not comfortable to drive.
    Is the Dorman steering shaft replacement good (Dorman 425-362 and Dorman 425-360)?

If Motorcraft is not available Dorman will be fine. Get the lower and the intermediate shafts. Easy pese fix. When doing the repair disconnect the battery and clock the steering wheel.
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by burt ragio View Post
    If Motorcraft is not available Dorman will be fine. Get the lower and the intermediate shafts. Easy pese fix. When doing the repair disconnect the battery and clock the steering wheel.
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Thread Information