Thread: Front Lower Control Arm - Rebuild or Replace?

Front Lower Control Arm - Rebuild or Replace?

So I have searched here and over on Crownvic.net with regards to the independent front suspension on these cars. Just for reference I am putting the IFS out of a 2007 PI car under my 70 F100 so while I have it out of the car I am going to go through it and get it right before it goes under the truck. So with some help from here and internet searches I now understand the geometry of this IFS and how to set it up correctly under the truck.

I am going to replace the upper control arms with new FoMoCo units (on their way) but the FoMoCo lower control arm is ridiculously priced and what I am finding parts wise is that the front bushing on the LCA is a non-serviceable part so if it is shot you replace the whole control arm. I am also finding out that other than a FoMoCo replacement there are very mixed opinions on the aftermarket units. Used to be that the MOOG, Raybestos, and TRW parts were good but now the only one you can get is the lower line MOOG which does not particularly instill confidence. There are a couple other brands but they are junk in my opinion (Mevotch and the parts houses' brands).

The ball joint and rear bushing are serviceable so I am leaning that route and will just put a FoMoCo ball joint back in with a MOOG PI rear bushing. This all hinges on the front bushing being in good shape. Are there any signs I should be looking for indicating the bushings need replacement?

Both the UCA and LCA on the front suspension are stamped steel so I ordered that for the new UCA's. I would like to stay with the stamped steel lowers but if I have to replace them my only option in a FoMoCo is aluminum so that is how I would go unless convinced otherwise.

Why would you go stamped over aluminum? Personally, I would get the "daily driver" mevotech lowers, aluminum, and the mevotech CMK-prefix uppers, forged not stamped. There's a reason the better cars used the better components. Taxi's and cop cars need to be fixed cheap. Not a custom pickup.

The aluminum arms are not forged they are cast aluminum. Forged units are way too costly for OEM cars like these. So from what I have read Ford quit putting the aluminum control arms on all the Panthers around mid-year in 2006 and what I have is off a 2007 P71 police interceptor car and is stamped steel.

My '70's curb weight with a 302 is about 3,500 lbs which is about 700 lbs less than a Panther car weighs and when I am done with my truck it will be right at 4,000 or a little less so this is not a concern.

Comparing the aluminum control arm in flex to the stamped steel would require knowing which aluminum alloy it is and the properties of both the alloy and the steel. Frankly I would say they are the same in that aluminum prices were skyrocketing about the time of the switch so my guess is that Ford went with stamped steel design that worked as good for costs reasons.

Back to my question, what are the signs that the LCA front bushing is no longer good?

So I decided to replace the forward bushing and just rebuild my existing LCA's. More info on it here:

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...d.php?t=106546
    Last edited by Aerocoupe; 02-07-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Thread Information