Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Member and 2003MM (Maryland)

compression check will tell if 7 or 8 has an issue. there can be a dead spot in the head near cyl. 7 , 8 that doesnt allow good coolant flow and can bend a valve due to heat, there is no definitive if or when or if ever but it does happen. It requires headto be removed. There is a cooling head mod due to this. not limited to marauders, other 4.6 dohc models also have random issue of cyln7 or 8 overheating. I know you dont want to hear that but it is a possibility. Also get rid of the 87 octane, motor is 10.1 compression, 91 is bare minimum
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I thought it sounded like a lower end noise, if the valve was bent, it would have a rough idle and you would hear a miss.

Right?
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    I thought it sounded like a lower end noise, if the valve was bent, it would have a rough idle and you would hear a miss.

Right?
    Somonevwho has had it happen needs to listen and reply. ADAM had a bent valve on 8.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Somonevwho has had it happen needs to listen and reply. ADAM had a bent valve on 8.
    Neil bought one to buy and sell a few months back. He did a compression test on it and it had a really low compression on one cyl. The piston was good, so it was in the head....

It missed so bad at stock idle, we put a tuner box on it and raised the idle to 900 and the miss went away 50%.

It was like a thud thud thud. Walk around to the exhaust and then you really could hear it.

This dudes car sounds to me like a rod knock, lets hope it has really thin oil in it. It sucks.
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    I would change the oil and look at the oil with a fine tooth comb. You could always send off the oil for analysis.
    I recommend Blackstone Labs for the Oil analysis.

I have been doing this for 15 year on a billion different motors.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    The ***** of all of this is, I just spent Christmas in Ellicott City, where OP is from. I would’ve gladly gone and listened in person just to get away from in-laws.

Anyway, it doesn’t sound exactly like mine did when I dropped a valve seat and bent a valve. But it sure sounds close. Mine was more of a tickticktick and as others have said above, the video makes it sound more like a knock.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Thanks for all the replies. I hope it is not serious. If this helps - it doesn’t make the noise when first starting/cold. Need to wait for warmer weather.

Well it just got worse. Maryland inspection today. The following was found:

Window tint too dark
    Emergency brake not working - hardly takes
    Front sway bar links
    Both front springs broken (at the very bottom was hard to see)
    leaking exhaust gasket
    Big one - Missing second catalytic converter (I asked the person but should have noticed)
    Leaking power steering hose (pressure) I don't think so and still think it is just from the oil filter housing leak that I was aware of.

These are all things I should have caught. So, I guess I will be doing more work than expected. Suggestions for spring/shock and catalytic converters?

The body is in good shape and still think I can salvage this thing. Probably paid too much but had some room for repairs. The suspension and CATs are killing me though. Then of course there is the engine.

tascaparts.com should have end links for stock if you dont want urethane fron aftermarket. oil filter adapter is prolly your leak, need gasket and will require oil and coolant drain. cooling system has a specific burping procedure to rid system of air when cooling system worked on.

post up in wanted section, someone prolly has springs laying around and prolly even cats. factory front springs are discontinued.

there are enough members here to help get over the hurdles, just takes a little time for members to read posts.

we can assist with saving a marauder

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I have a set of very low mile front springs that I bought years ago and never got around to cutting a coil off of them.
    Also have my OEM exhaust, looks as good as new....something like 10,000 miles on it.
    Also live in Severn...about 20 minutes from you.
    Only problem is finding these items in my chock full o' $h*t garage!
    And....YES it is cold as the Arctic! -1 degree Monday morning!
    Last edited by Joe Walsh; 01-02-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Joe,

WOW just in Severn. Your assistance would be wonderful. Perhaps you can even take a listen to my engine sometime.

Anyway, just frustrated at the moment but really like the car and want to try to save it. I even mentioned selling it back to the person I bought it from since we still haven't retitled yet.

Just saw your list of cars as well. I had the 1985 GT 5.0 4BBL and is that the same engine as the SVO in the convertible? My son would go crazy over those cars.

Welcome Greg

This may be your oil leak issue. . .

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repl...dapter-Gasket/

keep us all posted and enjoy your MM!
    ncmm
    '04 Silver Birch MM 300A, build date:03/11/04, bought new 10/04 traded 8/08, 27k miles,

'04 Silver Birch MM 300A, build date:12/23/03, bought used 3/16/12, 24k miles
    113k miles as of 8/21/19. . .

update. . . sold 11/5/2019, 116k miles

Visit My Old Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Joe,

WOW just in Severn. Your assistance would be wonderful. Perhaps you can even take a listen to my engine sometime.

Anyway, just frustrated at the moment but really like the car and want to try to save it. I even mentioned selling it back to the person I bought it from since we still haven't retitled yet.

Just saw your list of cars as well. I had the 1985 GT 5.0 4BBL and is that the same engine as the SVO in the convertible? My son would go crazy over those cars.
    I'll dig out the parts in the next few days...problem is I'll need to open up my garage door to shuffle boxes... and my garage is heated. Hate to do that when its 18 degrees outside.
    Both the front springs and exhaust are in great condition.
    Do you want the 'H' mid-pipe along with the catted pipe?
    (I already sold the OEM mufflers)

'84 GT 'Vert is a non-intercooled 2.3L Turbo...145 HP IIRC.
    Not quite an SVO engine, but a very rare Fox body.
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)

Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge

I will take the H pipe as well. Do you want some help? I hear you about the temp. No garage here. Sunday is suppose to warm up. Even colder before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I will take the H pipe as well. Do you want some help? I hear you about the temp. No garage here. Sunday is suppose to warm up. Even colder before then.
    I'll do a little digging....exhaust shouldn't be too hard to find.
    I know that the front springs are in a medium sized box... of which I probably have 30 similar sized boxes!....

How soon were you looking to get the parts?
    (Soon... I assume because of the inspection hold up.)
    BTW: I'm about 3 miles from Arundel Mills Mall.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information