Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Battery - Won't Start

New Battery - Won't Start

My 7 year old battery wouldn't hold a charge so I replaced it today. The engine turns over but will not fire. I don't hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to the On position. I checked the 20 amp fuse in position 5 and it's not blown. I swapped the fuel pump relay in position 203 with the A/C clutch relay in position 204 without success. The fuel pump shut-off switch in the trunk is not tripped. It wouldn't hardly turn over on Monday evening, so I charged it for about a hour then it started and ran just fine. Today I tried to start it and it turned over a few times and then the battery was dead. What else can I check? I can't believe the fuel pump would fail just like that. I've got about 118,000 miles on it. Thanks, Curt

Possible the alternator isn't charging the battery when it is on. Jump it and measure voltage across the positive and chassis.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

If you have a boost-a-pump there should be a fuse near it, I’ve had one blow and the fuel pump won’t run.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

No Boost-A-Pump. I'm not supercharged.

When I crank the engine, the red light on the dash lights up solid red. I've never noticed this before. Is it possible the PATS system is at fault?

Solid red is good. Rapid flash is bad key. Check fuel pump inertia switch in trunk. Try to start with a shot of starting fluid. That will rule out a fuel issue.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

The fuel shut-off in the trunk is not tripped. I don't hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to the ON position. Not sure if the PATS system is the problem or if the fuel pump failed. Probably have it towed to my local Ford dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    The fuel shut-off in the trunk is not tripped. I don't hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to the ON position. Not sure if the PATS system is the problem or if the fuel pump failed. Probably have it towed to my local Ford dealer.
    Don’t be afraid to give the bottom of the trunk a punch or two. Yes it got mine going and let me know it was the problem.
    Thanks again spectragod!
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

Did you know there is a fuel pump driver module in the trunk right by the cutoff switch. I just replaced mine, $237.39 from Joe Myers Ford in Houston. It was the only one in the city!...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I might add that this part is not shown in the shop manual, alldatadiy.com, NOR in Ford's parts database as part of the fuel system. It is listed as a trim piece in the trunk... The superb parts guy at Joe Myers did some extra work to figure that out...

Ugh.

118,000 miles...original fuel pump ?......

hopefully you have 1/2 tank or less of gasoline...or it's a splashy, messy job.

FPDM is the easiest and cheapest place to start. Then the fuel pump if no whirring is heard. Replacing both wouldn't be the worst idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasMotorhead View Post
    Did you know there is a fuel pump driver module in the trunk right by the cutoff switch. I just replaced mine, $237.39 from Joe Myers Ford in Houston. It was the only one in the city!...

Used ones go for $35 or so on ebay and usually work just fine. A modded one for high flow fuel pumps go for $120. 1 year warranty.

So I had my Marauder towed to a local shop on Monday evening. They were really busy and finally got to it on Thursday. They said it fired right up for them several times during the day.

Now what?

Like I mentioned in one if my posts, when I cranking the engine, the red light on the dash lights up solid red. I've never noticed this before. Is it possible the PATS system is at fault? Then after I disconnected the battery over night then cranked the engine the next day, the light did not come on.

...I believe the PATS codes need to be read by a special reader at the dealer.....

From the explorerforum.com :

Antitheft and Alarm Systems: Description and Operation
    ANTI-THEFT
    The passive anti-theft system (PATS) uses radio frequency identification technology
    to deter a driveaway theft. Passive means that it does not require any activity from
    the user.

The PATS uses a specially encoded ignition key. Each encoded ignition key contains a
    permanently installed electronic device called a transponder. Each transponder
    contains a unique electronic identification code, with over 72 million billion
    combinations.

Each encoded ignition key must be programmed into the vehicle powertrain control
    module (PCM) before it can be used to start the engine. There are special diagnostic
    procedures that must be carried out if new encoded ignition keys are to be
    configured.

The encoded key is larger than a traditional ignition key. The key does not require
    batteries and should last the life of the vehicle.

The transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. This module is
    located behind the steering column shroud and contains an antenna connected to a
    small electronic module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module
    reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends the data to the PCM.
    The control functions are contained in the PCM. This module carries out all of the
    PATS functions such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition
    key and controlling engine enable. The PCM initiates the key interrogation sequence
    when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to ON or START.

The PATS function uses the PCM to enable or disable the engine. All elements of PATS
    must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components
    are not working correctly, the vehicle will not start.

PATS uses a visual theft indicator located on top of the instrument panel. This
    indicator will prove out for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to ON
    or START under normal operation. If there is a PATS problem, this indicator will
    either flash rapidly or glow steadily (for more than three seconds) when the ignition
    switch is turned to ON or START. PATS also "flashes" the theft indicator every two
    seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual theft deterrent.

The PATS is not compatible with aftermarket remote start systems, which allow the
    vehicle to be started from outside the vehicle. These systems may reduce the vehicle
    security level, and also may cause no-start issues. Remote start systems must be
    removed before investigation of PATS-related no-start issues.

The PATs key is used on the following Ford family trucks and suvs:
    Last edited by Agent2006; 02-08-2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: text

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information