Thread: Mustang SVO Differential :(

Mustang SVO Differential :(

So, my Mustang SVO had this weird noise (kind of like ratcheting) and would lock up the left rear wheel upon hard braking. Under the hard braking with the left wheel locked up it would veer to right if you weren't prepared for this. So, finally got the chance to check it out. At first I thought it was a brake issue but found no apparent problems. But, with the car on jack stands and in third gear the pumpkin of rear differential has a rattling sound. Does not sound good. But with the car on ground and driving normally, it does not make any sounds.

The previous owner had rear redone (just 2,000 miles ago). I am guessing it wasn't done correctly. So, now I am pretty sure I need rear end.

Anybody have a guy in Maryland I can trust to do this right. This SVO is completely stock and nearly restored. So, I think I want to keep original.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greg,
    You're probably right about the rear not being set up correctly when it was rebuilt recently.
    I'm not sure if he is still around, but Horsepower by Hermann down in Beltsville was a small performance shop that did really good work on Fox Body Mustangs.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

I just came here to say I love that SVO. It’s one of my favorite Mustangs.

Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.

Great quotes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    you were too busy getting your ass kicked by cool people because you suck and are a worthless excuse for a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    I'm going to punch you so hard between the legs your going to need a GYNA BO to fix it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Eat poo poo and die heathen.

Don't know for sure but two thoughts:

1.Call Maryland Mustang down in Millersville and see if they can recommend somebody.

2.Take it in to Century Ford in Mt Airy and have the shop look at it.

--I had my 1990 CVPI worked on a few times at Len Stoler in Reisterstown and they did a good job but that was many years ago...your car has the 7.5 rear? or is it 8.8. Either way should be easy for a Ford shop to fix...this is not some exotic Vortech tune problem, it is a straight forward repair....

This is a 7.5 limited slip. I was thinking of calling Maryland Mustang as well.

I wonder how much to swap in an a later 8.8? Might be cheaper than rebuilding that original one. I see 5.0 Mustang rear axles on CL all the time...

Yeah I thought of that as well. The SVO is slightly different but it is possible without much work. But, this is completely stock at the moment and not really going for horsepower. So, I think I will stick with keep oem. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Thread Information