Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticking throttle

Sticking throttle

Yet another issue.

But I'll take the little over the big.

But the new issue is my throttle is sticking while closed. Went on a road trip to ATL I'd let off the gas then get back on it and I feel the sticking. car was great this started during the trip there. It's not horrible but is very noticeable on the foot.

So I ask the vets what's the next step. I know to clean it but there are always better tips from those who've been down the road more then a few times.

Should I take the TB off?
    Upper lower intake?
    Oil the spring area of the tb?
    Could it be the little screw sticking to the tb elbow?
    The tb blade could be gunked up?

By the way I doubt my car has ever had the tb cleaned so I'm sure I have some scrubbing to do

Any tips would help. Thanks

Had my TB cleaned when I was at Mo's last week. The IAC as well. Jeff used carb cleaner...my TB was very nasty; the amount of junk that came off made me feel like I was a *****y car owner. He took the TB off since he probably would've ended up with a lake of crud on the garage floor. I don't know if he did anything else besides spraying it liberally with cleaner...that's all I saw. I was having the same symptoms you described; at first, the pedal was sticky on first start up of the day, then a couple weeks later it had progressed to being sticky every time I released/re-engaged the pedal...thought maybe I had some chicken wings or something lodged beneath the pedal.

I wished I would've taken pics while I was there, but my cell phone camera lens is all scratched up and I had left it at Brad's place anyway...
    In Memoriam....11-14-13

Rex Weinbender

The best friend a person could have

In Memoriam...05-26-14
    Lillian Kostac

I love you grandma!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IwantmyMMnow! View Post
    Had my TB cleaned when I was at Mo's last week. The IAC as well. Jeff used carb cleaner...my TB was very nasty; the amount of junk that came off made me feel like I was a *****y car owner. He took the TB off since he probably would've ended up with a lake of crud on the garage floor. I don't know if he did anything else besides spraying it liberally with cleaner...that's all I saw. I was having the same symptoms you described; at first, the pedal was sticky on first start up of the day, then a couple weeks later it had progressed to being sticky every time I released/re-engaged the pedal...thought maybe I had some chicken wings or something lodged beneath the pedal.

I wished I would've taken pics while I was there, but my cell phone camera lens is all scratched up and I had left it at Brad's place anyway...

I've read they look pretty nasty when they come off. I guess it my turn now to have that reaction.

So is it just taking off the intake and in bolting the tb to spray and clean it?
    What about the upper intake?

What's IAC?

Quote Originally Posted by Blk04MM View Post
    I've read they look pretty nasty when they come off. I guess it my turn now to have that reaction.

So is it just taking off the intake and in bolting the tb to spray and clean it?
    What about the upper intake?

What's IAC?
    Idle Air Control valve. I've noticed my RPMs have gone up a tick since he cleaned it; needle used to sit right on the 500 mark, now its one needle-width above that mark.

I don't want to say something that might be wrong, but I'm certain Jeff just unbolted it from the intake, sprayed it over and over with cleaner, wiped it dry and bolted it back on. Makes sense because you wouldn't want all that crap dripping onto the rest of the engine bay/parts.

I'd give Mo's a call or get info from someone that's more mechanically sound than I am...my interpretation of how mine was done could be missing something. But overall, not an expensive fix; one can of cleaner and 30 minutes of work.
    In Memoriam....11-14-13

Rex Weinbender

The best friend a person could have

In Memoriam...05-26-14
    Lillian Kostac

I love you grandma!!!

Clean the IAC, TB and MAF.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 03-22-2013 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Spelling
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Clea the IAC, TB and MAF.
    I clean all three at the same time and use CRC Electronics Cleaner QD. It actually does a pretty good job and sometimes better than carb/brake cleaner on non-electronic stuff.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    I clean all three at the same time and use CRC Electronics Cleaner QD. It actually does a pretty good job and sometimes better than carb/brake cleaner on non-electronic stuff.
    I do mine once a year when I change plugs.

I prefer to use the correct cleaner for each part. IMHO, less chance of causing any damage.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Just remove the intake air cleaner hose so you can see the throttle plates, not the upper plenum. Spray with throttle body cleaner. Manually open the throttle body with your hand (where the cables hook up) you may have to remove the plastic guard over it. If it's really bad, just let it sit for a minute to soften it up. DO NOT SCRAPE IT WITH A SCREWDRIVER.

Just use a shop rag or plastic bristle brush if you have one, until it looks close to this:

This is what I use at my shop.

2003 MM Build Date: 06/02
    Build # 1,323 BLK

Toys/Others:
    2004 Honda CBR1000RR (Track Ho)
    2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo

If you can get an old one that clean I'm sending mine to ya ASAP!!!
    No Marauder

Sticking throttle

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    Lmao. Too bad google didn't have a good pic to choose from. I know mine looks nothing like that!
    2003 MM Build Date: 06/02
    Build # 1,323 BLK

Toys/Others:
    2004 Honda CBR1000RR (Track Ho)
    2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo

Quote Originally Posted by IwantmyMMnow! View Post
    Idle Air Control valve. I've noticed my RPMs have gone up a tick since he cleaned it; needle used to sit right on the 500 mark, now its one needle-width above that mark.

I don't want to say something that might be wrong, but I'm certain Jeff just unbolted it from the intake, sprayed it over and over with cleaner, wiped it dry and bolted it back on. Makes sense because you wouldn't want all that crap dripping onto the rest of the engine bay/parts.

I'd give Mo's a call or get info from someone that's more mechanically sound than I am...my interpretation of how mine was done could be missing something. But overall, not an expensive fix; one can of cleaner and 30 minutes of work.
    Ok thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Clean the IAC, TB and MAF.
    Will do thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1kRR View Post
    Just remove the intake air cleaner hose so you can see the throttle plates, not the upper plenum. Spray with throttle body cleaner. Manually open the throttle body with your hand (where the cables hook up) you may have to remove the plastic guard over it. If it's really bad, just let it sit for a minute to soften it up. DO NOT SCRAPE IT WITH A SCREWDRIVER.

Just use a shop rag or plastic bristle brush if you have one, until it looks close to this:

This is what I use at my shop.

Will a tooth brush be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    Lol +1

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1kRR View Post
    Lmao. Too bad google didn't have a good pic to choose from. I know mine looks nothing like that!

Sprayed a little bit of it today and that bish was super dirty. I left it on the car but just the tad bit I sprayed fixed the problem and gave me more at idle rpm. I need to take th tb off completely and clean it.

When bolting back on is there any gasket or sealant to use or just put it back on

Quote Originally Posted by Blk04MM View Post
    Sprayed a little bit of it today and that bish was super dirty. I left it on the car but just the tad bit I sprayed fixed the problem and gave me more at idle rpm. I need to take th tb off completely and clean it.

When bolting back on is there any gasket or sealant to use or just put it back on
    Reuse the stock gasket unless its damaged.

Clean the IAC while your at it.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Idle issues

Have you corrected this issue? Mine is doing similar thing just recently. Cleaned TB, same issue. Replaced IAC, same issue. Tested TPS OK. No vacuum leaks. Takes about 3-4 seconds for it to return to idle though plate closed. Smooth idle at correct RPM then. With connector disconnected from IAC, revs fine so I know its ECU telling IAC to do this. No error codes until I disconnect IAC. Let me know if you figure this out since I figure its same issue with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by MMR View Post
    Have you corrected this issue? Mine is doing similar thing just recently. Cleaned TB, same issue. Replaced IAC, same issue. Tested TPS OK. No vacuum leaks. Takes about 3-4 seconds for it to return to idle though plate closed. Smooth idle at correct RPM then. With connector disconnected from IAC, revs fine so I know its ECU telling IAC to do this. No error codes until I disconnect IAC. Let me know if you figure this out since I figure its same issue with mine.
    A little throttle cleaner cleared it right up for me. Had no more issues what so ever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information