Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would YOU answer this job interview question?

How would YOU answer this job interview question?

I've recently been looking at a potential new jobs... Same company, different functional team that does similar type of work - project management type stuff. I usually interview well (I think so, at least), and in an interview this week, the following question was asked to me, by the reporting manager (with my paraphrasing):<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Quote Originally Posted by The person this role would report to
    Quote Originally Posted by The person this role would report to

The new hire's first task will be to pick up a project that was previously deferred, in November. This project involves a moderate tech build, which is near completion. It was de-railed due to a shift in priorities, at the time (an urgent fire-fight came up). The project is to deliver an online mechanism to track training, within a specific area of the organization.<o:p></o:p>

I will obviously be working very closely with the new hire and project team to ensure successful delivery of a specific project but given this limited information provided to you today, what steps would you take to get "up to speed" and assist with putting this project back on track?<o:p></o:p>

Generally quick on my feet, I was a little stunned by this one. There's so little information provided, it makes it tough. The best I could come up with was the obvious type of response:<o:p></o:p>

- meet with others who can impart their experiences, relative to this initiative<o:p></o:p>

- review previous project documents (particularly the charter, project plan, etc.) to understand the problem, solution and where we are today<o:p></o:p>

- speak with those that this initiative will impact, to understand their specific needs<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Other than that, I couldn’t really think of anything on the fly, to answer the question…<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

So… How would YOU have answered the question, above?<o:p></o:p>
    2001 Silver SVT Lightning - 2011 Blue Flame F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost

SOLD 2003 Marauder (300A)

Arrow Response

I would've said WTF?? Give me someone else's FU and you expect me to fix it? No FN way.

Seriously, given the limited info, I would've replied the same way. Not much more you could do. Except give the above response.
    '04 MARAUDER
    Born on 4/20/04 -- Foster Care on 5/11/04 -- Adopted on 01/27/05
    Heated Seats 6 Disc CD Changer Moonroof
    JLT CAI--Silverstars Heads/Fogs--SCT-9100
    SB IX - SB X - SB XIII - SB XIV - SB XL - SB XLIII
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

Quote Originally Posted by STLR FN
    I would've said WTF?? Give me someone else's FU and you expect me to fix it? No FN way.

Seriously, given the limited info, I would've replied the same way. Not much more you could do. Except give the above response.
    Since I'm looking at a potential 20% increase in pay, it's more like... "Give me someone else's FU, and I'll fix it! Am I jumping high enough for you? I can jump higher!"
    2001 Silver SVT Lightning - 2011 Blue Flame F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost

SOLD 2003 Marauder (300A)

I think it's pretty good what you said, and in addition to that, I would've added that I'd look to meet with him,(theSr. management, supervisor, or whatever) to get all the details of the job so that I can make an educated, and accurate assessment of what's needed for the task at hand to prevent wasted time spent fishing aropund for answers somewhere else. that would've given him a strong message that he needs to do his job in order for me to do mine efficiently. That might not be what he was looking for, and I might not have secured the position for that answer though. but hey, you never know, maybe he's a rare bird in the business place, and he's a responsible leader who's a straight up guy, and that's the type of answer he was looking for.

I see too many supervisors, and people in lower management, covering up problems from their superiors, and sweeping problems under the rug. And the cover ups persist until ther's a meeting held by their superior which is supposed to serve as progress reports, and the only thing that happens in those meetings is who can lie the most, and point the finger of blame at their fellow lower management employees. it's like pin the tail on the donkey. the whole meeting is a blame game, and nothing gets done, and production suffers in the longrun. it's irresponsibility at it's best, and all because the lower management people want to cover things up in hopes that the middle management people do not find out. Instead of taking the bull by the horns and confronting problems head on, and bringing them to their superiors so that they can do what it is that they get paid to do....make decisions. okay rant OFF.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 02-27-2005 at 12:48 PM.

My reply:

If this project is now a priority to you, then it will become my first priority, I can only promise you that I will devote all my energy and resources to motivate our team in reaching a succesful completion to this project.

I know it sounds like BS, but the interviewer knows he is asking a question that you don't have enough information to answer in any meaningful way....what he is measuring is your ability to respond and more importantly how you respond.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

hitchhiker Guest
    1. Review Project charter and sponsorship

2. Evaluate resources and existing timeline and do critical path analysis

3. Meet with project sponsor and define milestones and delivery dates

4. Meet with team members

5. Prepare new project plan and reporting metrics

6. Monitor project progress

7. Motivate project resources

8. Report project progress

Regards,

David

Quote Originally Posted by QWK SVT
    I've recently been looking at a potential new jobs... Same company, different functional team that does similar type of work - project management type stuff. I usually interview well (I think so, at least), and in an interview this week, the following question was asked to me, by the reporting manager (with my paraphrasing):
    So… How would YOU have answered the question, above?
    IMO, Smokie and Hitchhiker hit it in the nail. You did answered good thought but, like you said, maybe had been caught a bit off guard.

But, giving that they kind of put that project aside for priority reason a couple months ago, they did paint themselves in the corner... for some obscure reason.

The hill will be harder to climb to bring things back on rails, enthousiasm and motivation wise, but it's not impossible, just harder. It looks a bit like a trap. Maybe i saw too much bull**** in my career thought.
    Last edited by MM03MOK; 02-27-2005 at 03:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hitchhiker

Regards,

David
    Good out line, use it to head up a meeting of the previous and new team members.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by QWK SVT
    <FONT color=black>I've recently been looking at a potential new jobs... Same company, different functional team that does similar type of work - project management type stuff. I usually interview well (I think so, at least), and in an interview this week, the following question was asked to me, by the reporting manager (with my paraphrasing):fficeffice" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></FONT></P><P style=[/img]

Generally quick on my feet, I was a little stunned by this one. There's so little information provided, it makes it tough. The best I could come up with was the obvious type of response:<o:p></o:p>

- meet with others who can impart their experiences, relative to this initiative<o:p></o:p>

- review previous project documents (particularly the charter, project plan, etc.) to understand the problem, solution and where we are today<o:p></o:p>

- speak with those that this initiative will impact, to understand their specific needs<o:p></o:p>

Other than that, I couldn’t really think of anything on the fly, to answer the question…<o:p></o:p>

So… How would YOU have answered the question, above?<o:p></o:p>
    IMO, Smokie and Hitchhiker hit it in the nail. You did answered good thought but, like you said, maybe had been caught a bit off guard.

But, giving that they kind of put that project aside for priority reason a couple months ago, they did paint themselves in the corner... for some obscure reason.

The hill will be harder to climb to bring things back on rails, enthousiasm and motivation wise, but it's not impossible, just harder. It looks a bit like a trap. Maybe i saw too much bull**** in my career thought.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by hitchhiker

Regards,

David
    I would've answered it by going:

Yeah, uh... I know this guy named David who lives for this crap. Go hire him instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan
    I would've answered it by going:

Yeah, uh... I know this guy named David who lives for this crap. Go hire him instead.
    I'm gettin to old for this crap! I'm w/Logan!
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

I think you handled yourself very well. That was IMO a very tricky and loaded question. The interviewer was trying to confuse you. I would say again you done good.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

I think that all of the important things have been said. The interviewer could have just have well said, "How would you steekle a versmiggle?"

"Well Sir, I'd research all of the prior versmiggle efforts and reexamine the usual steegle processes and apply the best of them to the current versmeegle."

But don't ask me, I'm still unemployed.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

Lets discuss whether or not I'm the person for the job, and then we'll talk shop...
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    ...I see too many supervisors, and people in lower management, covering up problems from their superiors, and sweeping problems under the rug. And the cover ups persist until ther's a meeting held by their superior which is supposed to serve as progress reports, and the only thing that happens in those meetings is who can lie the most, and point the finger of blame at their fellow lower management employees. it's like pin the tail on the donkey. the whole meeting is a blame game, and nothing gets done, and production suffers in the longrun. it's irresponsibility at it's best, and all because the lower management people want to cover things up in hopes that the middle management people do not find out. Instead of taking the bull by the horns and confronting problems head on, and bringing them to their superiors so that they can do what it is that they get paid to do....make decisions. okay rant OFF.
    Hell that's an everyday occurence around in the assembly plant. The only difference is the hourly employees are to blame. Never mechanical or management always the employees.
    '04 MARAUDER
    Born on 4/20/04 -- Foster Care on 5/11/04 -- Adopted on 01/27/05
    Heated Seats 6 Disc CD Changer Moonroof
    JLT CAI--Silverstars Heads/Fogs--SCT-9100
    SB IX - SB X - SB XIII - SB XIV - SB XL - SB XLIII
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information