Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Granatelli Coil Connector Install *DUW*

Granatelli Coil Connector Install *DUW*

OK, I had to try this myself and share with the group as it is honestly quite a simple install/upgrade.

Make sure and remove the coil cover in such a fashion that will not damage the gasket on the cover, or displace it.

Carefully lift one of the coil/boot assemblies from the spark plug cavity paying attention not to pull anymore than necessary on the wiring harness. (I used my other hand to bend the rubber boot when removing from the spark plug cavity, making it a little easier).

Seperate the wiring harness by pressing on the top tab while pulling the two halves away from one another.

Remove the rubber boot from the coil pack by rolling the rubber down and away from the coil pack. This was the hardest part and took the longest. While the rubber was rolled away from the coil pack, use a twisting motion back and forth while pulling, and it should finally break free, exposing the OEM spring.

Carefully twist and pull the spring closest to the coil pack until it comes free. (The spring will more than likely bend upon removal as they are very weak). You will then be able to see the 'tab' that holds the connector in place.

Place the Granatelli connector over the 'tab' and press on. (This is a tight fit. Make sure it is on all the way seated).

Slide the boot over the connector ensuring the coil pack and the boot mate together as shown:

Replace the wiring harness back onto the coil pack making sure it is fully seated. (You should hear a 'click' when seated correctly).

Carefull locate the boot end into the spark plug cavity until you feel it touch the end of the spark plug. Now, I had to press using quite a bit of pressure until I heard the connector 'snap' onto the spark plug. (I made sure my thumb was centered on the coil pack and placed my other thumb over top using both hands to press).

It appears the Granatelli connectors are shorter than the OEM. Once installed, the coil packs do not seem to stick up as far as with the OEM connectors.

Inspect the coil cover gasket ensuring it is fully in place on the coil cover before replacing onto the cam covers.

It may be a good idea to ensure the bolt holes of the coil covers line up with the cam cover bolt holes before resting in place. (Worked for me).

Tighten coil covers appropriately.

I truly hope this helps everyone that has either purchased these connectors, or are thinking about purchasing them. Previous installs may have received some negative feedback. But I can assure you, this is quite simple for anyone to do themselves.

Best,

Mike.

MikesMerc Guest
    Great post! I hope to get my Granatelli Coil Connectors on this weekend. Thanks for the install tips and pics

Great pics, nice and simple instructions! Thanks, Mike! Another great addition to the Reviews section too!
    MOK

|Administrator, MM.Net | International Director of Membership|

--------------------------

I don't brake for curves!

The eyes may be the doorway to the soul,

but the voice is the chariot to the heavens

Thanks Mary and Mike!

I have to thank Mac for making himself available while doing this. I did have a couple of questions, and his experience helped me along.

Mike.

All my questions about this mod are now clearly answered. Great Job, Mike!!!
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial #0054
    Installed by Carfixer 10/16/2004

Tallboy's Garage

Nice job, Mike! Great pics too.

Mike, your pictures pointed out how much more substantial the replacements are over oem.
    I feel better just knowing the "ball point pen springs" are no longer a vital link to my spark plugs!
    Did mine during the last group buy, about 5k miles ago, and highly recommend this mod.
    It truly is a no-brainer!
    ~Jim

2004 Mercury Marauder SB

Nice write up Mike! Glad to see it isn't that difficult. Perhaps this weekend ???

KillJoy

Quote Originally Posted by KillJoy
    Nice write up Mike! Glad to see it isn't that difficult. Perhaps this weekend ???

KillJoy
    Thanks Steve. If you have any questions, call my cell: 502.558.2912.

Mike.

MOK

|Administrator, MM.Net | International Director of Membership|

--------------------------

I don't brake for curves!

The eyes may be the doorway to the soul,

but the voice is the chariot to the heavens

Quote Originally Posted by MM03MOK
    Wow Mike!
    You've been Published!
    ~Jim

2004 Mercury Marauder SB

Cool! I got mine yesterday. They went into the pile o' stuff waiting to get put in when #132 arrives. This is a great help!!!
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

Seeing as so many of you are doing this, that leaves 8 OEM coil springs for each person. How about mailing them to me? It could help in my troubleshooting. Please, only non-damaged ones...PM for address... thanks to those that are helping me out. I need to drive my Marauder, I'm going through withdrawl...

A few more details:

I did not use the dielectric grease. I was pleased to not see any evidence of moisture and simply did not see the need.

The rubber ring on the Granatelli connector was left near the center prior to installing the boot.

Removing the OEM connector from the spark plug has little to no resistance due to loose fit. You WILL know when the Granatelli connectors are seated onto the plugs. Major difference over the OEM as the pics show.

I will give a comparison on driving/SOP when the weather is good and I can wash the MM. I will not drive her in the rain nor when dirty.

The engine bay could use a good wash too.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MM2004
    A few more details:

I did not use the dielectric grease. I was pleased to not see any evidence of moisture and simply did not see the need.

The rubber ring on the Granatelli connector was left near the center prior to installing the boot.

Removing the OEM connector from the spark plug has little to no resistance due to loose fit. You WILL know when the Granatelli connectors are seated onto the plugs. Major difference over the OEM as the pics show.

I will give a comparison on driving/SOP when the weather is good and I can wash the MM. I will not drive her in the rain nor when dirty.

The engine bay could use a good wash too.

Mike.
    Rubber ring?? What rubber ring??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information