Thread: where to go in Maryland to get rear cats removed

where to go in Maryland to get rear cats removed

I have an 04 Marauder and I live in Gaithersburg MD., Iwant to know where I can go to get the rear cats removed, do I have them gut mine out and reinstall them or just have them put in a pipe, I also want to put some dynomax ultra flow mufflers or should I just put in a straight pipe. I have read of others replacing the cats near the manifold and putting in high flow cats do these go in the same place, if you remove the 4 cats will this throw a code and you cant pass emissions, also are the resonator tips on the marauders restrictive, as I have seen on this site resonator delete tips, do the resonators just quiet the sound down without hurting power, this is a stock engine and I am not going to do a tune as I need the car to start when I drive it, I have read of people with the x-cal2 tune going out in the morning and the car not starting, any advice will be greatly appreciated, I will also be at the Marauder get together in June at Safford Lincoln Mercury in the Montgomery Autopark off Route 29 in Silver Spring MD.

This is usually something you do yourself, you are going to have a nearly impossible time getting any shop to tamper with your cats, they can be fined big time for doing so. Just because your car may pass emissions without the extra cats, the factory installed them, so they have to stay on the car as far as legality is concerned.
    Steve H., Charles County, MD www.carfap.com
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2004 F250, v10 6 speed manual. ex-US Forest Service truck
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

I do believe that is a federal law that a business owner DOESN'T want to mess with. Fines, loss of their business license, etc. For a business to mess with CATS that is bad JU JU.

03 Marauder 300A/Black
    Born: June 21, 2002 / Adopted: April 2003
    Spoiler / Heated Seats / 6-CD Changer
    LIDIO Tuned
    K/N Air Filter
    WILWOOD Brakes
    METCO Control Arms
    ADDCO Rear Sway Bar
    Real Gauges
    INFINITY 572.5cf
    two-way KAPPA series speakers
    NITTOs

2014 VW Touareg TDI Executive

2013 F350 King Ranch Crew Cab Dually
    6.7L POWERSTROKE

A hot rod shop will probably take them off.
    '03 A #1801 - Tuned By Outlaw Dyno
    445rwhp/408rwtq - 12.6/110mph
    DR Vortech NOIC #5
    Sold
    '88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, built 8.8"
    '11 F250 Powerstroke - 476hp/1208tq

I had my friend take my rear cats off, cut and welded up a new piece of pipe. If you want some better sound, get some Flowmaster 40 series mufflers and res-delete tips that Wes sells and make sure to have them extended out past the bumper by 1.2-1.5" to help lessen the interior drone.

Just start out with some Flowmaster 40 series mufflers and res-delete tips before thinking about the cats.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Remove all 4 factory cats, replace with 2 hi-flow cats and replace the mufflers w/ 18" Magnaflows.

My MM just passed NC inspection with the 2-instead-of-4-cats with no problems. Most bone-heads that work at the inspection stations just look to see if there are cats......... period.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

i had mine done at a shop on pennsylvania ave in MD. i can pm you the number to the shop if you want, i dont want to advertise who did it being its illegal.

Has anyone installed an after market exhaust system, then gone back later and cut the rear cats? I'm trying to find out if the sound changes much by not having the cats.

I loved the sound I had with the mufflers deleted, but it was just a little too loud for my wife/boss. I'm wanting something that is both loud and rather obnoxious on the outside, but slightly muffled in the cabin. I'm back to running mufflers again. . . . . and honestly don't like it.

If cutting out the rear cats will get me closer, I'll do it. I just don't want to do it, if it doesn't make a noticeable difference.

Thanks
    John
    (oldekid)
    2004 DTR MM (Reba)
    Build Date: 05/25/2004
    # 3020 of 3213
    # 931 of 981 DTRs

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Remove all 4 factory cats, replace with 2 hi-flow cats and replace the mufflers w/ 18" Magnaflows.

My MM just passed NC inspection with the 2-instead-of-4-cats with no problems. Most bone-heads that work at the inspection stations just look to see if there are cats......... period.
    Yep this is true
    Do not goto a dealer to have this done as they will not do it , but there are alota barnyard mechs in MD and i'm sure they won't have a problem doing this for you.I know a couple in Northeast that will.

its not hard to just take off the hpipe and hollow them out yourself

Thread Information