Thread: Report on New Paint Job

Report on New Paint Job

Today I washed the car, detailed the interior, and the Mrs. and I took Smokie for a ride. The new paint job pleases me, is not perfect but it is totally superior to what the original paint had become. What I went thru I don't recommend to everyone that has problems with their paint such as swirls, scratches, buffer marks, those are things that can be handled by experienced detailer. Having said that; my car was loosing the black paint and the primer was showing, there is no magic that puts back lost base paint.

For those that believe the original paint is better than anything else, I agree; as long as your original paint is actually there, if the paint is gone and you are looking at primer, I see no higher resale value when the original paint is gone.

The average thickness of my original paint job was about 4.5 mil, the average thickness of new paint job is 6.2 mil.
    The job was done under warranty and my paint job is warranted for as long as I own this car.

Word of advise to those riding the fence on whether to do this or not, the dealer will be far more reluctant to redo entire car after 12,000 miles, so if you believe you need to do this don't wait until your warranty is about to expire, it may be too late.

As a side note I used The Mr. Clean Auto-Dry Kit and the good is: It really leaves absolutely NO water marks or drops.
    The bad: the soap does not last as long as they claim.
    ....and the magic of auto-dry was taking too damm long so I got my trusty blower and that 140 mph air blast created some serious auto-dry magic.

PS: I posted some pictures in the Gallery.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Thumbs up Paint Issue

As long as it pleases you, that's all that counts. Glad to hear you got results from the Dealership. Must have been the persuasion.
    Carlos
    '03 Marauder 300A
    • Built 8-23-02
    • TRADED IN

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie
    The average thickness of my original paint job was about 4.5 mil, the average thickness of new paint job is 6.2 mil.
    The job was done under warranty and my paint job is warranted for as long as I own this car.
    THAT'S^^^the key if you ask me. my factory job is under 2 mil on the sides...and that's color AND clear

Quote Originally Posted by TAF
    THAT'S^^^the key if you ask me. my factory job is under 2 mil on the sides...and that's color AND clear
    Todd 2 mil seems scary thin, does it look alright ? Javier.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie
    Todd 2 mil seems scary thin, does it look alright ? Javier.
    It's thin...and I think it's the reason so many scratches show up. I'm going to deal with it at some point.

Thread Information