Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98 Cobra intake cam install

98 Cobra intake cam install

So I just got my car back from having 98 cobra intake cams installed along with some 4.10 Yukon gears and to be honest I don’t feel it any different aside from a slight “shake” that the car got from the cams. As far as faster acceleration I don’t feel anything. It has a preloaded sct x4 tune on it and i was wondering maybe I should switch it back to stock? Also wondering if the cam install could cause the car to start to overheat? Today on my way to work it started to heat a bit so I turned on my heater so it wouldn’t overheat and now on my way home from work it started to do the same but I djdnt turn the heater on this time to see if it would go any higher than about 3/4 and it didn’t went right back to normal operating temperature. Sorry if these are stupid questions I’m not too mechanically inclined.

Sounds like the coolant system needs to be burped.

Did your mechanic degree the cams?

You need a custom tune to take advantage of both the cams and the 4:10's

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    Sounds like the coolant system needs to be burped.

Did your mechanic degree the cams?

You need a custom tune to take advantage of both the cams and the 4:10's
    So he came when I got to work to burp it again and said that should fix it. And yes he degreed then. 108 intake and 114 exhaust like I was told by the man I bought them from. and yes I’m getting a tune from marty after I buy a wide band air fuel gauge that he told me I needed first. Just was wondering I guess I expected the 4.10 and cams to be significantly different because the guy I bought them from is a member here I believe and he said a tune wasn’t needed but recomended. Is it better to take off the preloaded tune and run it stock until I get Marty’s tune?

The car needs to be burped and tuned.

Let me know when you’re ready.

Quote Originally Posted by pgonzes91 View Post
    So he came when I got to work to burp it again and said that should fix it. And yes he degreed then. 108 intake and 114 exhaust like I was told by the man I bought them from. and yes I’m getting a tune from marty after I buy a wide band air fuel gauge that he told me I needed first. Just was wondering I guess I expected the 4.10 and cams to be significantly different because the guy I bought them from is a member here I believe and he said a tune wasn’t needed but recomended. Is it better to take off the preloaded tune and run it stock until I get Marty’s tune?

If its not tuned DON'T beat on it... Trans shift point are wrong, timing curve is wrong... Like Marty said, get your wideband and an SCT and get this thing tuned. FWIW, my car ran 15.1 stock... 4.10 gears and tune it ran 14.5... thats a huge gain.
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    The "Bucket of South Haven Iced Tea"
    One Legged Lesbian Kickboxer
    Cocka Two

So would it be better to not drive it or just don’t drive it hard? Ordering a wideband tomorrow and once it’s here I’ll have the tune uploaded. It’s my dd but if needed I’ll leave it parked and have the wife drop and pick me up from work

So would it be better to not drive it or just don’t drive it hard? Ordering a wideband tomorrow and once it’s here I’ll have the tune uploaded. It’s my dd but if needed I’ll leave it parked and have the wife drop and pick me up from work
    You can drive it just drive it normally and don't beat on it and you definitely need to burp the cooling system you'll destroy the engine if you overheat it
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

So since my last post I’ve put in a new Murray thermostat from oreilly. Ford dealership said it would take a few days to get a oem thermostat so I was desperate since my car almost overheated and got the aftermarket one. Had it installed had a new heat sensor installed not sure what it’s actually called and last but not least got a brand new cooling fan installed. Today I burped it the way it says to do so online. Car drove really well and the temp needle stayed in the middle. Then I decided to give it some throttle and got up to about 95 and the needle slowly went up to about 3/4 again. I was told maybe the thermostat I bought opens at a higher temperature than what was originally on it but I asked when I purchased it and was told it was oem specs. Don’t know where to go from here. Water pump? Never had a issue until I had my 4.10 and cobra intake cam installed. Radiator was replaced a few months ago too so it’s new as well.

Could be wrong tstat, more than one auto parts store gives a crown vic or Marquis tstat because they don't know, you still may have air in system
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Could be wrong tstat, more than one auto parts store gives a crown vic or Marquis tstat because they don't know, you still may have air in system
    If I take it to a ford dealership to do a coolant system flush that should fix it if it’s air in the system right? I’m assuming they’d know how to bleed it better than what me and the guys who did the install bled it.

So since my last post I’ve put in a new Murray thermostat from oreilly. Ford dealership said it would take a few days to get a oem thermostat so I was desperate since my car almost overheated and got the aftermarket one. Had it installed had a new heat sensor installed not sure what it’s actually called and last but not least got a brand new cooling fan installed. Today I burped it the way it says to do so online. Car drove really well and the temp needle stayed in the middle. Then I decided to give it some throttle and got up to about 95 and the needle slowly went up to about 3/4 again. I was told maybe the thermostat I bought opens at a higher temperature than what was originally on it but I asked when I purchased it and was told it was oem specs. Don’t know where to go from here. Water pump? Never had a issue until I had my 4.10 and cobra intake cam installed. Radiator was replaced a few months ago too so it’s new as well.
    The answer to your problem is highlighted above in bold

Do yourself a favor, go to NAPA and get PN#109, and a matching gasket. Then do this: https://www.reischeperformance.com/refill.html
    Your welcome in advance!

The answer to your problem is highlighted above in bold

Do yourself a favor, go to NAPA and get PN#109, and a matching gasket. Then do this: https://www.reischeperformance.com/refill.html
    Your welcome in advance!
    I called 3 Napa in my area and none of them had it or seemed to even want to look. I’ll order it from the Napa website. Thank you

So before I order the Napa thermostat how do you guys feel about this one?
    https://www.lethalperformance.com/re...hermostat.html

Facepalm.....
    You need a custom tune to run a Reiche 170* the fans need to come up way earlier.
    Personally.... There's no reason to drop almost 20* from the stock unit 188*
    -0- gains

Facepalm.....
    You need a custom tune to run a Reiche 170* the fans need to come up way earlier.
    Personally.... There's no reason to drop almost 20* from the stock unit 188*
    -0- gains
    Thank you sorry for the dumb question.

about to delete this profile and make a new one lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information