Thread: Hey Metco Watts Link Guys...

Hey Metco Watts Link Guys...

I was doing some research on the watts link, and like most of you I was very well informed after reading one of the best threads on the topic:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=22816

Thanks to those that participated in that

I was looking to hear from those that upgraded, without doing any other suspension upgrades at the time, what your thoughts were? Fordnut I have yours, thank you. I was looking for more feedback on this mod if anyone has done it without incorporating another suspension mod at the same time.

I have installed two sets to 2 other member's MMs and also fixed a 3rd's mistake of installing one backwards.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyLPita View Post
    I have installed two sets to 2 other member's MMs and also fixed a 3rd's mistake of installing one backwards.

But do you have any feedback on the upgrade itself without any other mods...??????

I am looking to eventually do this. I would like to hear what seat of the pants difference is felt without much else upgraded. Like Rider90 asked. Can you even tell a difference if this is the only thing you did (if you got to drive them after you upgraded them assuming they were someone elses cars)?

I do not know because I didn't drive the first 2 vehicles after the change was done. I only drove the 3rd one. Sorry.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

I also installed the Metco Watts link but this was after installing the front & rear Addco's and Metco upper & lower control arms. I couldn't feel any difference at all.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    I also installed the Metco Watts link but this was after installing the front & rear Addco's and Metco upper & lower control arms. I couldn't feel any difference at all.
    That's what I have now (Metco CA & Addcos) and was wondering if a difference was even felt after that. I guess not...Anyone else?? Thank you

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    From everything I've read, been told and what I can tell from that, the only difference felt is an emotional one.
    there has never been any definitive answer to the Metco WATTS links actually making a difference in handling. They do look nice, but who can see them?
    I've read about stock control Arm failures, but so far not a stock WATTS link.
    Anti-sway bars and control Arms, Metco or M+Z are a different story on handling improvement.
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

I've got Addco bars and Z&M CA's.

Could not be happier with the handing performance gains.

Mike.

Jason,
    Picture how the watts link works. They are made from basically the same material as the CA's, but unlike the CA's are not subject to twistage. Their function is in a direct (or nearly direct) back-and-forth motion along their length. Since twisting is the enemy of the CA material and the Watts links are not subject to such forces, I really and truly can't see how the stock construction is any less stiff (in the direction of it's function) than anything else.
    Given the slight curve of the links, it's possible there's a tiny bit of bowage in the direction of the curve, but I imagine that would only be under enormous load like say at high speed on a circuit track.
    If I was an avid auto-crosser like say Jeremy (jdando), I'd put em on. For my occasional track time and daily driving I can't see an advantage.
    To qualify, this is coming from 20 years worth of hydraulics, air suspension, and lowering. I've had to build entire suspensions from scratch and had to rebuild ones that were hacked up by the first guy. I think in terms of strength and safety FIRST. If you get strength and safety, performance is all tweaking. I only say this so you can see my thoughts are not merely speculative.
    Best to you on your decision.
    Magindat: (majin-dat) Imagine That.
    2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Lemonade - living with Fruit Punch - in Blackmobile's Garage...
    FIT Procharger Kit #31 - 3.7 pulley - 9 PSI
    World's first BLOW THRU ProCharged Marauder - Reinhart Tuned

boi

If you stay with the stock Watts link for piece of mind you might want to stiffen it up by boxing the links together with another Watts link.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Couldn't tell you the difference, but I did the Metco control arms, Watts link, DS safety loop, and Addco sway bars (front and rear) all at the same time and the car is definitely much better for it. Feels more planted and the rear end doesn't "jump" over bumps like it did before. Definitely much more planted.

I have yet to really push it hard, but I have been faster where this stuff starts to shine and with no body roll or understeer. But I can see where the Naake setup would help with mid-corner handling and control. I can't wait to add that too.

I figure like anything, a suspension works best when designed to work together and I think this is a great setup with absolutely no loss in ride quality. If anything, it is actually better because it is more controlled.
    Eric

2004 Silver Birch Marauder - Sold 04/17/09:
    - #2703 of 3213 '04 Marauders
    - #852 of 987 Silver Birch Marauders
    - Born On Date: 04/23/04
    - Warranty Start Date: 08/11/04
    - MINE as of: 09/09/05

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

Thread Information